Ouran High School Host Club

It really does, but that's just because I've only seen 70-ish anime. I have very few fixed points on that list (*cough* Satsuki *cough*). That said, Haruhi is a really interesting character to me: I thought she was gonna be just a banal main character but she's surprising in her own way, I love her. I don't see why she shouldn't be on that list!
Haruhi is the best shoujo protagonist. There's no competition.

The real Christmas gift I'm getting this year is @PreciousEgg's running commentary on Ouran. I was still in high school when I watched this, so there's a lot about it I no longer remember. But I liked this a lot and I'm liking it even more now that Egg likes it as much as everyone else does.
Haha, well I'm glad you enjoy it! I actually thought about stopping after the first one since very few people had read that, but since more people are reading these now I suppose it won't hurt to keep writing my thoughts. Watching shows alone is no fun after all...
I love how they get excited about something like instant coffee and get sassy about it to everyone who doesn't know what it is, as if they just made a giant discovery or something XD

Also the feminist lesbian school ain't got shit on our gay bois. They WISH they were half as fabulous or iconic as them:
KtyJc1Vl.png

RuPaul's drag race has never been this good
This was also the first episode where I had to disagree with Haruhi on something:
YCSLgZCl.png

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THAT BEAR PENCIL? I'D TAKE IT IN A HEARTBEAT!

Oh and BY THE WAY, I had always noticed Tamaki was tall, but HOLY SHIT THOSE LEGS
9MtUqmYl.png

HE'S LIKE 95% LEGS. WTF. That's some Byakuya Togami shit right there.

But yeah, really good episode, it was really entertaining! I'm also guessing we're gonna see those girls again in the future (To get their ass kicked in a fashion show, that is), so I'm excited for that
xG93JKGl.png

HARUHI'S DAD IS A GODDAMN CROSSDRESSER AND I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!

Now THIS is my favourite episode, forget everything else! This was just SO entertaining to see, beginning to end: The fact that they all acted like aliens when they found out how commoners live had me laughing my soul out the whole time, Haruhi's dad is HILARIOUS and super kind towards her daughter, which really melted my heart, and Tamaki paying respects to Haruhi's dead mom was just the icing on the cake, it was so sweet...

Btw, they scared me for a second at the beginning of the episode: I legit thought Haruhi lived in that broken down house and she really had to fast for three days to buy them food. When I saw that I entered full on "Must Protec" mode, Haruhi is too precious to live in those conditions
"But he's not wearing his black cloak" as that guy throws himself from the first floor. I feel like there are bigger problems here, Haruhi XD.

But yeah, this episode was probably the first "Boring" episode of the series for me, it didn't really catch my attention. Still though, only one bad episode among 13 is a damn amazing statistic.
Moral of the story: Moe always wins

This was way better than the last one, it was a lot more entertaining. Oh and Honey-senpai can throw all the temper tantrums he wants and kick people's asses as much as he wants, but I don't care: He's still cute as shit
original.gif
What's with all these different anime doing parodies of Alice in Wonderland? First Black Butler, now this?
Although I have to say, this one handled it way better than Black Butler did: This was actually good, for a change.

The episode started out really dull for me and I wasn't really into it, but when I got to the ending and found out the queen was Haruhi's mother, I just couldn't help but get emotional. I almost shed a tear, and that's very rare for me, but I love Haruhi so much that seeing her get emotional automatically makes me emotional. Goddammit, I'll just go punch some walls to gain back my maliness.
I'm halfway through the series, WOOOO!!! I can't wait for what comes next. I'd like to go a bit deeper into Haruhi's past, since there's still a lot we don't know: If what they said in the Alice in Wonderland episode was true, she appearently shed a lot of tears in her life, and I'm curious to know why. Haruhi seems like a very simple character when you meet her for the first time, but as you get to know her better you discover she's way more complex than what she seems. She's genuinely one of the characters I can sympathize with the most out of any anime and I absolutely want to know more about her. I went into this show expecting only the laughs and then it hits me with the feels smh.

Last edited:
Haha, well I'm glad you enjoy it! I actually thought about stopping after the first one since very few people had read that, but since more people are reading these now I suppose it won't hurt to keep writing my thoughts. Watching shows alone is no fun after all...
I love how they get excited about something like instant coffee and get sassy about it to everyone who doesn't know what it is, as if they just made a giant discovery or something XD

Also the feminist lesbian school ain't got shit on our gay bois. They WISH they were half as fabulous or iconic as them:
KtyJc1Vl.png

RuPaul's drag race has never been this good
This was also the first episode where I had to disagree with Haruhi on something:
YCSLgZCl.png

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THAT BEAR PENCIL? I'D TAKE IT IN A HEARTBEAT!

Oh and BY THE WAY, I had always noticed Tamaki was tall, but HOLY SHIT THOSE LEGS
9MtUqmYl.png

HE'S LIKE 95% LEGS. WTF. That's some Byakuya Togami shit right there.

But yeah, really good episode, it was really entertaining! I'm also guessing we're gonna see those girls again in the future (To get their ass kicked in a fashion show, that is), so I'm excited for that
xG93JKGl.png

HARUHI'S DAD IS A GODDAMN CROSSDRESSER AND I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!

Now THIS is my favourite episode, forget everything else! This was just SO entertaining to see, beginning to end: The fact that they all acted like aliens when they found out how commoners live had me laughing my soul out the whole time, Haruhi's dad is HILARIOUS and super kind towards her daughter, which really melted my heart, and Tamaki paying respects to Haruhi's dead mom was just the icing on the cake, it was so sweet...

Btw, they scared me for a second at the beginning of the episode: I legit thought Haruhi lived in that broken down house and she really had to fast for three days to buy them food. When I saw that I entered full on "Must Protec" mode, Haruhi is too precious to live in those conditions
"But he's not wearing his black cloak" as that guy throws himself from the first floor. I feel like there are bigger problems here, Haruhi XD.

But yeah, this episode was probably the first "Boring" episode of the series for me, it didn't really catch my attention. Still though, only one bad episode among 13 is a damn amazing statistic.
Moral of the story: Moe always wins

This was way better than the last one, it was a lot more entertaining. Oh and Honey-senpai can throw all the temper tantrums he wants and kick people's asses as much as he wants, but I don't care: He's still cute as shit
original.gif
What's with all these different anime doing parodies of Alice in Wonderland? First Black Butler, now this?
Although I have to say, this one handled it way better than Black Butler did: This was actually good, for a change.

The episode started out really dull for me and I wasn't relly into it, but when I got to the ending and found out the queen was Haruhi's mother, I just couldn't help but get emotional. I almost shed a tear, and that's very rare for me, but I love Haruhi so much that seeing her get emotional automatically makes me emotional. Goddammit, I'll just go punch some walls to gain back my maliness.
I'm halfway through the series, WOOOO!!! I can't wait for what comes next. I'd like to go a bit deeper into Haruhi's past, since there's still a lot we don't know: If what they said in the Alice in Wonderland episode was true, she appearently shed a lot of tears in her life, and I'm curious to know why. Haruhi seems like a very simple character when you meet her for the first time, but as you get to know her better you discover she's way more complex than what she seems. She's genuinely one of the characters I can sympathize with the most out of any anime and I absolutely want to know more about her. I went into this show expecting only the laughs and then it hits me with the feels smh.
Awww yisss, more comments.
I consider episode 10 to be the best one, btw.

Guess I'll post this here since I never did include it in my criticism of the show when I watched it
Haruhi seems like a very simple character when you meet her for the first time, but as you get to know her better you discover she's way more complex than what she seems. She's genuinely one of the characters I can sympathize with the most out of any anime and I absolutely want to know more about her
TBH one of my only problems with the series was finding out that personality-wise, haruhi hardly has any flaws at all. She's probably one of the only characters I like that can be considered a bit of a mary sue in some ways. Other than that yup, she's a good character.

Guess I'll post this here since I never did include it in my criticism of the show when I watched it

TBH one of my only problems with the series was finding out that personality-wise, haruhi hardly has any flaws at all. She's probably one of the only characters I like that can be considered a bit of a mary sue in some ways. Other than that yup, she's a good character.
She's still a unicorn among brainless shoujo protagonists. Isn't being too cynical a flaw, technically?

She's still a unicorn among brainless shoujo protagonists. Isn't being too cynical a flaw, technically?
Oh that's true, she's still my favorite shoujo protagonist as those go. I never really considered being too cynical to be a flaw especially because it always works out perfectly for everyone in the show. Most of the problems and character flaws that make the show interesting seem to come from the other members of the host club who are a bit more interesting to me, even though I love haruhi, I feel the series could have been better and she could have been a better character if I was able to relate to her a bit more. She kinda seemed to just have a perfect answer to everything, yanno?

It's just a borderline nitpick, really. A small criticism. I love the show.

Ok I'm here with another batch because I finally have some time to watch anime. My objective is to actually finish the show today, so I'm gonna watch more after I finish typing these. I just have to write down my thoughts up to this point because knowing how shit my memory is I'll forget about the episodes if I don't:
EQFnMiJl.png

Haruhi has one hell of an iron will, I would've given up immediately if he looked at me like that.

But yeah this episode was nice. I could not care less about the whole journalism club thing to be honest, in fact I didn't even get what their whole problem was, but I did find everything else in this episode really enjoyable, thank god this show's episodes have a lot of variety in them. One scene I really enjoyed for some reason was this one:
vsKESZPl.png

OOOH THE NOSTALGIA, I WANNA PLAY TOO GODDAMMIT!

It was also really nice to see that flashback where Tamaki was creating the club by recruiting everyone. He's a really great character who defies the stereotype of the rich asshole, and finding out he's been paying for Haruhi's school expenses this whole time makes me like him even more.
Well now, wasn't this an endearing episode? It was just really fun

I love how the Twins' ringtone is the show's ending theme. That was clever, and not a bad ringtone choice tbh

And you wanna know what else I love?
zVvgJHPl.png

[NEED TO PINCH CHEEKS INTENSIFIES]
One thing I really praise this show for is how progressive it is. Trans and gay people are treated just like the normal people they are and that gives us a lot of space to dig into what the characters actually have to offer instead of focusing on stereotypes. Sure, stereotypes are fun sometimes (A good example would be Leroy from Gurren Lagann, who was actually pretty funny to me) but characters like Haruhi's father are a much needed breath of fresh air. It's just much more interesting when these characters are taken seriously, rather than being made fun of all the time.

On a less serious note, I enjoyed this episode a lot. poor Haruhi has to deal with the boys' shit even when she wants to be alone, this girl really can't catch a break.

And of course, in the end, twincest always wins. Who else could've ever won the competition? The brotherly love is just too much for teenage girls' hormones to handle.

ALSO HOLY FUCK HER OLD CRUSH IS BACK IN THE GAME, THIS IS NOW A K-DRAMA. I'M READY FOR THE TEA THAT'S ABOUT TO BE SPILLED.
Hikaru really needed that slap. Stop being such an emo kid, lil punk

Also how did they get this picture of me wtf:
8H7kLNYl.png

But yeah, overall, this was an amazing episode: my second favourite of the series so far, in fact. Seeing the twins' individual personalities and how different they act when they're not together was really interesting to me. In fact I would say that the episodes focused on the twins are the ones that pick my interest the most: these two have such a weird dynamic that whenever I find out something about why they act this way, I can't help but want to know more.
You know, this whole show really does feel like a dating sim. Last episode was the Hikaru route, now we have the Kyoya route lmao

Kyoya is a really interesting character too, though. Voice aside, he does remind me a lot of Sebastian Michaelis from Black Butler: The way he changes behaviour whenever something doesn't go how he wants it to go really reminds me of him, although things almost never go wrong for Sebastian XD, so I get to see this aspect a lot more in Kyoya.

Also does that one annoying girl just have rising mechanical pedestals built all around town? Why is she everywhere? Does she just constantly live under the floor waiting for someone to say something that "requires her presence"? I have so many questions
This episode was focused a lot more on Mitsukuni (or Honey-senpai, however you wanna call him), which obviously means it was cute and wholesome as hell. Though I have to say, the episodes focused on him are always a bit the same: He's doing something cute, then someone does something to prevent him from eating sweets and he beats the shit out of them. Not that I mind it, but I just wanted to point that out.

And of course, in the end, it was all Tamaki's fault, as it always should be.

Also Haruhi's line "So Honey-senpai's love of cake exceeds his love for his brother. Man, he's a horrible person" was the perfect ending for this episode. That cracked me up lmao
I KNEW LOBELIA ACADEMY WOULD COME BACK AT SOME POINT!
AND HOLY SHIT, WHY ARE THESE GIRLS SUCH HORRIBLE PEOPLE? Do you just have no values at all? Let's just add "kidnapping" and "sexual harassment" to the list of crimes these high schoolers have committed. Poor Haruhi really can't let her guard down one second smh.

Also Haruhi trying to act was totally me. "MY LORD FREDERICK."

AND OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR BEAUTIFUL FACE?
yTILz5fl.png

THEY'RE GONNA PAY FOR THIS
WDpGdpql.png

Damn, this poor girl. The twins can really be assholes when they want to.

But yeah, as I've said, the episodes focused on the twins are always interesting, and this was no different. I really can't get enough of these little insights in their psychology and backstory.

However, I will say that this was a really weird shift from the last episode. I hope I get to see how the whole Lobelia academy thing actually ends in the next one, they left me on a cliffhanger XD

Oh and what was that thing about Tamaki being his father's illegitimate son? They better tell me more about that before the show ends!
Wow, that took me a whole hour to type. Next anime I watch, I'll just watch it by myself XD. I really can't synthetize my thoughts in one or two sentences, I always have to write enormous paragraphs. Why am I like this:@_@:

And here I am with the end of the show! This was delightful, thanks Secret Santa!
EAck26nl.png

How could you possibly get scared by that? What? I just wanna pinch his cheeks

I also loved this episode's ending, when Kaoru realizes he won't be with Hikaru forever and begins to think about to what he's gonna do when that happens. Again, the twins' psychology is some of the most interesting stuff that happens in this series. I wonder if real life twins have these kinds of problems as well
"We're 3/4 through the season and you still haven't had your own episode, is that it?"
*DEAD*
And I love how when you see Haruhi you immediately fall in love with her even without knowing it's a "her". Her beauty defies sexuality, she's just that perfect.
I don't really have much to say about these gangster episodes, but I did enjoy them a lot! The guy was really likeable and his interactions with Haruhi were just plain adorable. I even found myself rooting for him at one point, but then I remembered that Haruhi should never be taken away from Tamaki's hands, that would be going against the will of the universe.
This may not be my new favourite episode, but it certainly was the most interesting episode of the series: So much shit happened in this! From Tamaki's backstory, to Kyoya's new aggressive personality I had no idea existed... This had me with my eyes glued to the screen the whole time!

Also poor Tamaki, sweet summer child, everyone finds him annoying! Come here, I'll be your friend. I can take your bullshit
Oh yeah, the "creepy uncle" is just what Haruhi needs to put the icing on the cake. As if she doesn't already have enough crap to deal with.

Also WOW, Tamaki's family is just a bunch of assholes, is it? Goddamn grandma, a smile wouldn't make those crusty ass cheeks of yours crumble! Get your nasty claws off Tamaki right this instant!

AND AWWW BABY TAMAKI IS TOO PRECIOUS, LOOK AT HIM
VIxh1COl.png

My urge to pinch his baby cheeks cannot be contained

AND OH MY GOD THIS BITCH ECLAIR NEEDS TO DIE, FUCK OFF. TAMAKI AND HARUHI ARE DESTINED TO BE TOGETHER, NO ONE WANTS YOUR NASTY VAGINA YOU HEAR?!
AAAGH, THIS WAS SO GOOD! I'M GONNA MISS THIS SHOW SO MUCH!

Listening to the opening for the last time was just too sad. Goddammit, I want more! But this is from 2006, there's no way they're ever gonna make a second season 12 years later:crying:

This episode was just straiht up amazing, I don't even know what to say! Haruhi was such a BADASS in this! When she took the horse carriage and started driving on the highway I literally got chills.

dYZvl00l.png

I'M GONNA MISS YOU HARUHI!

AND NOT JUST YOU, I'M GONNA MISS THE WHOLE CLUB! I'LL MISS THE TWINS WITH THEIR INCEST STUFF WHICH WAS STILL FUNNY, I'LL MISS HONEY-SENPAI AND HIS MAGICAL ABILITY TO NOT GAIN WEIGHT OR GET DIABETES, I'LL MISS TAKASHI AND HIS ONE LINE FOR EACH EPISODE, I'LL MISS KYOYA AND HIS BEING WEIRD IN THE SHADOWS, AND MOST OF ALL I'LL MISS TAMAKI AND HIS BEING A FUCKING WONDERFUL PERSON.
I'LL MISS THIS SHOW SO MUCH:crying:
I really loved this, it definitely deserves a place in my top 10 list. I never thought I would enjoy a shoujo this much and yet here I am almost crying over the fact that it's over. Really, to whoever my secret santa is, thank you SO much! I really needed to watch this. It wasn't just fun, it's also been educational and it's made me think about my future more seriously. Not many series manage to affect me this way and I certainly did't expect something with a name like "Ouran High School Host Club" to be among them. This was just lovely, I'm gonna miss the hell out of it.

I love the show.
They don't make casts too much better than what Ouran has to offer, especially:
Host-Club-ouran-high-school-host-club.jpg

This was just lovely, I'm gonna miss the hell out of it.
Damn right! This is one of the only anime I can (and have) watched every year since I first saw it.
I watch this show all of the time! The clock tower is just so stunning and I relate to Honey the most.
You love waaaaayyyyy too much cake then!

M'kay so I just finished it and holy hell it was too much for me first they have fun episodes then they have character development episodes just to make you adore the characters just to slap you in the face with that ending. (Just to slap you in the face hehe Kyoya… I'll stop)But still a 10 outta 10 anime in my opinon.

M'kay so I just finished it and holy hell it was too much for me first they have fun episodes then they have character development episodes just to make you adore the characters just to slap you in the face with that ending. (Just to slap you in the face hehe Kyoya… I'll stop)But still a 10 outta 10 anime in my opinon.
//I ghostwrote this//
I'm of course joking. I did not; you wrote this but this feels exactly the way I'd say something.
10/10 comment
AND
10/10 Anime​

I've just started re-watching this, inspired by the Anime Feminist Podcast rewatch (from last year, I've got a backlog of podcasts at the moment).

This was the first newer anime I watched in full back in 2012, after I had sourced and looked at some classics I remembered from my childhood. On original viewing I was smitten, and loved the characters, the comedy, the whole shebang really. On rewatching it though, I realise just how much passed me by, mainly because I didn't have the knowledge then I do now about anime and manga tropes or even about what a host club is.

For example, I never saw any gay sub-text (or explicit references) in the twins playacting the first time I saw the anime. Now, I clearly heard one of them ask "why am i the Neko?". Other references I get now are Otome games, the idea of a club manager, what a host club is.

This time round I'm concentrating more on Harui I think than I did originally, and her journey. I'm not sure, but I think I might not have realised until Tamaki did that she was a girl the first time I saw the 1st episode. The light bulbs suddenly made sense at that stage. I never really questioned why she was OK with pretending to be a boy back then, and though I am thinking about it now, I don't think gender is a very important part of who she is. She is Haruhi, plain and simple. It is convenient for her to present as a boy at the moment, cos she gets a free school uniform, and also because she gets to work as a host in the club instead of just being a gofer, which will help her to re-pay her debt faster.

Despite listening to discussions on Haruhi's gender identity, and hearing why some people see this as worth questioning, I still see her as firmly on the cis-girl end of the spectrum. I don't think there is any conflict because of her cross dressing, mainly because this is driven by circumstances rather than by a deep seated desire of hers. Her use of "ore" also fits this interpretation in my view. She is using it as an accessory to her outfit. And none of it changes her personality.

I admit this interpretation of mine isn't based on anything except some stories I wrote or spun in my mind when I was a teen, where the protagonists were, like Haruhi, forced by circumstaces to dress as a boy.

I'm enjoying this series now just as much as enjoyed it the first time. It remains funny, and colourful, and over the top.

Not that it needs a remake, but if they're remaking Fruits Baskets, I feel like this would be the next in line. Or at least make another season.

Back