Notification of data breach in 2016

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPsychic

LadyPsychic Well-Known Member

I have a question. On the reset page, it has the area where you can change your email address. Underneah there it says to input your current password. I'm confused: does it mean the previous password or the password I'm changing it to? Or does it mean my email password? Can you please clairify this?

2. ChalamiuS

ChalamiuS Squisher of Bugs Developer

You only have to input your password there if you are changing the email address, which you are not.

3. niotabunny

niotabunny Well-Known Member

just for those that are having the issue, I tried logging in today and it wouldn't let me, so I right clicked and opened sign in, in another tab and it was stating about password reset notice in red at the top of said page. so if you have a similar issue, nothing is broken, it's just this. so if you have said aged account and you haven't changed your email by now, I'm more than certain staff here will assist you regain access once again. so, once you reset you'll be able to log in again no problem. just trying to clear up some issues in case someone comes along creating a post with said issue, it can be frustrating when a site has this problem, been on many that have encountered this. at least it was caught and a reminder sent out for those select few that don't change their stuff sometimes.

4. LadyPsychic

But I am changing my email address! (or at least I'm trying to. I'm in the prossess of upgrading to a gmail account but I'm not sure I can do it. It's making me put in my phone number, but I DON'T HAVE A PHONE! Well, I do have a home phone but I don't know what it is because I moved recently and I'm too scared to ask my mother and I'm too scared to talk to someone over the phone. Does anyone know of a email service that doesn't require someones phone number?) I have to change emails because my current email isn't working!

Just to clarify, I need to get into my email to change my anime-planet password, right? If not, that's fine (then I won't need a new email), but please let me know!

5. ChalamiuS

ChalamiuS Squisher of Bugs Developer

If you are logged in you do not have to change your email address to change your password but I would recommend doing so after you have changed your password anyway as you lost access to it.

As for the phone call thing that Gmail does, it'll call you and start repeating a series of numbers and letters that you have to fill into the signup form for Gmail, you're not going to be talking to an actual person. But, if you want to avoid that altogether you could try signing up for an outlook email instead https://outlook.live.com/owa/.

6. LadyPsychic

Thank you! Then I'll go reset my password then (and I may get an outlook email later).

7. TetraSky

TetraSky New Member

I've changed it, was easy enough since all my passwords for every single websites/services are uniquely created with Keepass.

ChalamiuS likes this.
  8. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Aug 6, 2019
    All, please use the bug/questions forum for any tech support problems or comments, and the general chan for general discussion. There's also no need to reply saying if you've completed the reset or not.

Let's keep this thread to the announcement information only please as people who've subscribed to this thread likely only care about that information.

9. MrIconic

MrIconic New Member

Having never changed my password here. It is indeed, about that time.

Keep up the good work. Things like this unfortunately happen to us all. Just have to bounce back twice as strong.

10. mangle

mangle Member

Posted by mangle on Aug 6, 2019
    I guess I'm confused why this was announced a week ago if the forced password reset wasn't going to look at the date of the last password change. I reset my password last week when I got the site notification, and then was forced to change it again today. Was it intended to work that way? If so, why would you announce it ahead of time?

11. sothis

Posted by sothis on Aug 6, 2019
    We had to build code to do the force password reset, with limited developer availability (keep in mind Anime-Planet is a very large site staffed by around 3 active developers currently, and most of our roles are volunteers). Additionally, we prioritized alerting people faster to the problem versus waiting on account of the code not being ready. This was an important issue that needed to be messaged as quickly as possible.

12. mangle

mangle Member

Posted by mangle on Aug 6, 2019
    If someone has had my password for the last 3 years, I honestly doubt the fact that I changed it last week afforded me any reasonable additional security over waiting until today. I do feel, however, that if the breach had been new, that extra week would have been a lot more meaningful.

Either way, changing it twice is not that big a deal. I was mostly just curious why. Thank you for explaining.

13. kokodin

kokodin New Member

i have a question,
    if i changed my password when the thread came up
    why does it forcing me to change it again?

14. DW75

DW75 New Member

Posted by DW75 on Aug 7, 2019
    Same here, annoying having to do it again when i just changed it days ago.
    Lets hope it doesn't pop up again due to not checking last date of change.

15. sothis

Posted by sothis on Aug 7, 2019
    @kokodin @DW75

Stated several posts above

16. steelseraphim

steelseraphim New Member

Just been forced to change my password. Hope I can recall it as well as the previous one.

:cereal::cereal::cereal:

17. copperkat

copperkat New Member

so it says enter current password and then new password....well i don't remeber my damn password. so now what?

18. sothis

Posted by sothis on Aug 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.