Nodame Cantabile

Ep 3:
Aww! No-dummy, that was a mean thing to say Scraggly.

I'm not sure if it was creepy because he was gay or if it was the afro/mustache combination. Nodame's reaction to the harassment was great and I knew once he messed with her food she was going to go balistic.

Chiaki once again rejects his ex. He is an interesting character on his own, which is nice because usually that type of character is a boring staight man whose only interesting when being used as a counterpoint to the funny characters. Like you said though he is slowly getting some development as he realizes nothing is going to change if he doesn't do anything.

I'm looking foward to seeing what this little ensemble can do. And it's nice how they don't shove Nodame's genieus in your face all the time instead every once in a while you'll see something that reinforces how much of a prodegy she is.

Man by the time this show is over my face is going to hurt becuase for the first few episodes I've pretty much been grinning the whole time. :laugh:

Episode 4:

Oh my god that damn old geezer is hilarious!! :laugh: This show just keeps introducing awesome characters one after another!

Loved every minute of this episode. Okay, I also loved every minute of the first three episodes, but let's say this was a Love+.

It's great that a new character has appeared that will put all of them together in the same orchestra. Well, Chiaki isn't, but I'm pretty sure he'll eventually join - or rather, be forced to join by the awesome old man. If everyone does gather in the same place for rehearsal it will be lots of fun and I'm sure they'll also pull some great music there.

And I know I'm repeating myself, but the old man was a 100% win. :laugh: From the moment I chuckled to his two ''snickers'' I knew I was going to laugh with this foreigner, whoever he might be.

Ep 4:
I have to agree about the perverted geezer, he was just perfect. And it's great because I'm sure next episode they will show him as a brilliant conductor, which allows him to get away with such conduct. I loved when he offered to teach Noda this and that, she was just so clueless during that scene.

So far they have put together a great cast and now they are going to be together in the orchestra, which also means more beautiful music. I'm so excited for the next episode. Also will Nodame kiss him.

Episode 5:

Correct prediction Marius lol. As expected Milch handled such a messed up orchestra perfectly. I like how he just accepts the musicians' shortcomings and learns to cope with them instead of trying to correct everything the rough way. He just taught a very important lesson to Chiaki right there.

However, I must say my ears suck because I always think 'Hey, I like this music' when they allegedly are playing like shit lol. Although admittedly it is clear when the pieces are sounding the best.

Also Nodame is so loveable, and the comedy keeps being good. Just like you Marius I can't help but grin at the screen during the whole 20 minutes, and that is when I'm not laughing!

Milch is like Gag Manga Biyori's Admiral Harris, with the difference that not only is Milch hilarious but he is also awesome.

Episode 5:
I love how Milch got serious and really showed his stuff only to go right back to the pervert. He finally sees Chiaki's value, at least for attracting women.

I knew as soon as Chiaki tried to take over it was going to be a disaster. I guess he was technically was right about his criticism but he went about correcting it wrong. Although like you I couldn't hear anything wrong. And really this made me respect Stressman because I realized at the hookup party he wasn't just screwing around, he was observing and learning about everyone. Gotta respect a man that can completely perv out and still get something accomplished. :laugh:

Nodame is just awesome, she must have a hell of a punch to knock him out cold. Just everything about her is adorable.:love:
And Chiaki's dry wit really complements the more obvious comedy. They have really assembled the perfect cast, it's got such a good balance to it.

Episode 6:

ht66mq.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I swear this guy is gonna kill me.

The show is progressing just great, with Chiaki conducting the orchestra by himself because Milch is such a slacker bum. :banana: The dude just does whatever the hell he damn pleases, now he's going up against Chiaki with his other orchestra. What an ass. xDD

Anyways it's interesting how Chiaki is starting to lose his nerve. I'm curious about how he will put up with all this in order to perform decently a week after.

Oh, the violin-maniac dad was a nice sidekick, haha.

So far the only shortcoming I see in the show is that Nodame is being left behind in the music side of things. Of course she's still being cute and funny to her fullest, but I want to listen to her playing. It would be awesome if they did something like a revolutionary orchestra and add a piano to it, but I guess the oh-so-perfect-and-conservative Chiaki-sama wouldn't have that!

I'll be leaving it here for today since I've already covered up the 6 daily episodes and I have some stuff to do before hitting the sack, but really, this is the kind of anime I could keep watching forever. It will be a favorite by the end, at this rate. :love:

Marius, if you have the time tomorrow I'd love to watch more eps than what was agreed beforehand (as usual =D). What do you say?

Holy crap the second live-action movie came out two months ago, and I didn't realize it. The live-action series is really good BTW.

Episode 6:
I've said it before but I love this show sooo much. :love: Each episode gets better and better.

"I brought you a towel and some honey-soaked lemons. I love you." <--confession
And then it's just whole lemons thrown in honey. I love Nodame, but your right musically she is being left behind. However at some point Chiaki is going to realize he needs to do something revolutionary if he is going to beat the pervert. So like you said she will probably get added eventually. It was great when all of the students were calling him with random bullshit, I guess anyone would get frustrated. Unfortunatly at the moment he has regressed into being an harsh asshole lacking the soft touch.

The whole violin thing was hilarious and when the father went to play I knew he was going to suck and yet it was funny anyway. Also as a side note if the father did have a real Stratavarius it would be worth millions of US dollars, so probably like hundreds of million yen.

Although Stressman left I hope we get to see more of his hijinks because he is one hilariously magnificent bastard, and he is a real bastard.

Link about tomorrow, I should be able to work things out so we can do more than 6 episodes. I'll just PM you like usual. :banana:

I'm not too fond of that system you took of commenting episode per episode, for some reasons I'll keep my "overall-comments" kind of way. ^^

Let's put it simply: if I want an accurate way to know if I liked or not a show I just consider how much time went by flying or not. In Nodame Catabilie's case, the first episode seemed a bit long and I thought my night would be pretty long if this had to keep up... But I simply continued on watching... Episode 6 and a feeling shocked me: I couldn't believe I was already over with the 6th one! The first episode was long, but way less the second one and so on, the 6th was so enjoyable I was looking forward to tomorrow (today now lol).

Each time Nodame goes "nuts" and yells "yahoo!!!" and all these sounds she makes I'm like... :love: I just love her voice acting I can't help it sorry!
As for the main character... He's an IDIOT and I don't want to use any other word or it really wouldn't be pretty...
Every girl in the freaking school seems to love him, he could have an entire freaking harem like the freaking best girl of the entire school... Yet he remains hopelessly single and he's so rude to everyone it's getting annoying...Seriously such character in real life I can't really picture that...

I don't have time for more now, I gotta work. ^^' I'll post again asap. I'll finish with: overall it's a great show, I hope the quality reamins the same.

greg said:
I'm not too fond of that system you took of commenting episode per episode, for some reasons I'll keep my "overall-comments" kind of way. ^^

The main reason is that doing it this way we can talk rather thoroughly about the show instead of just giving some general opinions about every set of episodes, which I think makes for much greater, lengthy conversations. =) Of course this only works if we can kind of synchronize the time when we're watching the anime.

Episode 7:
Really, when you're in a bind, nothing like a Doraemon-ish movie to show you the right path. :laugh:

Awesome episode. Chiaki finally understood that he has to respect the musicians' individuality and conduct the piece while taking that into account. It took it longer than I expected because that's the idea Milch tried to show him during his conduction in episode 5, but I guess a person doesn't change his mind that easily so this was the best way to go over it.

Milch is awesome, he made the sucky dude from Orchestra A to conduct the play and it was a magnifique failure!

Also the ending of the episode was hilarious and cute:

-First, Mine's father adding an extra icecream ball when they praised him. :laugh:
-Next, Nodame kisses Chiaki and runs away in an instant! :love:
-And finally there's Milch getting on fire behind the window. :laugh:

This show is so damn perfect.

Episode 7:
Daww, Nodame finally finds an opening. The movie was funny and it managed to help Chiaki. To chose that space anime as the "meaningful", situation-changing device was brillant.

Ha! Stessman completely flakes out on the competition and S Orchestra nails the performance. Too bad Stessman saw the kiss now he is going to think up something new and terible to Chiaki or he'll just be lazy and go to a bar there's like a 50-50 chance with that guy.

Mine was just perfect this episode too.

Also this
snapshot20090426081159.jpg

Episode 8:

So what did Milch exactly tell Nodame about Chiaki? Something she does not know, I mean. At this point she should at least know that if Chiaki gets very good he'll go somewhere else to keep studying.

Anyways, Nodame is so damn cute!
kawaii.gif
I can't believe she's 20 hahah.

So we finally know why exactly Milch came to Japan... I guess this makes much more sense than his coming on his own accord. First because the other teachers didn't seem surprised so I guess the chairman would have talked to them beforehand. And second because knowing his personality, you'd think he would have come much sooner if it depended on him. :laugh:

Also:
-''Why are you here?''
-''I hijacked my airplane.''

Win! Too bad for Milch that Elise isn't letting him do a beach episode. :banana:

Episode 8:
Milch may not get his beach episode but the sneaky perverted geezer made sure he got to see Nodame in a bathingsuit anyway. Once again he steals the episode with his antics. He just knows how to manipulate everyone, probably what makes him a great conductor as well.

Nodame doesn't really think ahead so I'm sure Milch did tell Nodame that Chiaki would be going away. She's innocent and lives in the moment so I doubt the thought would ever occur to her. It's part of what makes her so adorable.

And then even the manager gets some charcterization, at first I thought she was being sympathetic, but then she just said that she researched it because she thought she could sell his biography.

Also "What's with that erotic no" was great.

Episode 9:

Aww, it's a shame that instructor didn't get to see Nodame playing the piano.

By the way things are going I guess Nodame and Chiaki are going to get further and further away in the next episodes. Chiaki is making some neat progress in the musical world while Nodame is kind of stuck due to her personality and 'circumstances'. Pretty understandable, nobody does well when posessed by an orangutan lololol.

I also liked the development on Mine. One of the usual walls characters clash against in shows like this is the Hard Work one. Mine now has realized everyone is trying their best and it's still not enough, so if he slacks off he's getting nowhere.

Milch throwing food at Chiaki was hilarious. :laugh: This geezer will never bore me. The part where Chiaki was carrying him drunk so reminded me of GMB yet again... Really, the comedy style is very similar: gags, angles, execution and all, the only difference is that GMB is more frenetic.

Episode 9:
You know you are famous when someone has taken the time to come up with a list to bypass your sexual deviency and it looked more like a book than a list. Well the good thing is Chiaki's brilliance is coming out, even if it makes the others feel like they are being left behind.

I felt sorry for Nodame when the episode was over: she tried her hardest and learned that Dvorak without any chance to practice on a real instrument, then she played it brilliantly, but no one saw it. Nina did hear her but didn't see and surely didn't realize who it was. And now Chiaki thinks Nodame is not that talented and not that motivated. I hope that Chiaki will not give up on Nodame, although he might for a few episodes.

Also "Possessed by an orangutan" Why would you pick that of all animals.

Episode 10:
Nooo! Stessman leaving, please tell me this is another of his jokes. Everything thing about him is hilarious. Just when you think he is giving Chiaki serious instructions, he suddenly starts telling him to be more sexy while miming what looked like humping a piano. I just know he has something awesome planned for the performance.

Orchestra S did much better than I thought with the crappy conductor and Nodame as the mongoose was great. Hell I was almost able to forget about the sight of Manami in a dress. Seriously I don't think anyone is that gay. It's good to see Mine working hard at something and it going well.

Meanwhile I had completely forgotten Saiko existed, but now that Chiaki is famous she's interested again. Well time for Chiaki to perform.

Episode 10:

I love the piece the Orchestra S played this time. There was a fable I used to listen to as a child. I really liked it and it used in fact a part of this composition for the background music, so I was reminded of it. =)

As always the humor is great. I really dig the feel-good atmosphere there is among the members of the Orchestra.

Now it seems Milch is going away for a while... Perhaps Chiaki will ask to take him along but Milch would probably refuse, mainly thinking about Nodame.

Looking forward to the old geezer and his pupil's performance in the next episode!

And yeah, Masumi is very, VERY gay. You know, I don't have homophobic prejudices, those people are the same than anyone else and their private 'preferences' don't bother me at all. But it's different when a guy is trying to mimic something he isn't: a girl, and a rather silly one at that.

Also why does Saiko remind me so much of Eva from Monster? =D

Episode 11:
Well I don't think it's possible to comment on this episode without saying Chiakia and Stressman's performances were just amazing and the music was beautiful. Not to mention in a 21 minute show, they show 8 solid minutes and music, although I didn't even notice it had went on that long until I checked at the end. Followed by Milch's four day bender, I wonder how long that old pervert could have kept going if Elise hadn't found him. So to balance the more serious performance they made sure to make the end of the episode hilarious.

I don't like Saiko, but Chiaki was so damn harsh. And then Stressman telling Nodame she wasn't good enough yet, the women had it kind of hard this episode. Saiko is going to turn out to be a real bitch I'm sure you can just see it coming.

Also you know there is something wrong with Nodame when she says she isn't hungry. I thought this was a nice way to show how much the usually reserved Chiaki cares for Nodame.

I love this show. :love: I know I've said that before but just in case you forgot. :laugh:

Episode 11:

Ahahahahah, this anime really has a knack for making me laugh at the end of the episodes! Chiaki forcing Nodame to eat up was hilarious. :laugh:

I talked about the Saiko/Eva resemblance last time and that impression has only got stronger now. The part where she steals the other girl's dude just to mess with her and then she leaves him as soon as she heard about Chiaki was sooo Eva-ish. Also the part where she was peeping at the relationship of Nodame with Chiaki. Of course the show takes everything with a big, delicious spoonful of humor and that makes even these jealousy issues all the more enjoyable.

Milch is gone. :crying: But he left us with an awesome farewell letter. Just when I thought the last message to his pupil might contain some worthwhile stuff, all he did was ask for some pr0n, roflmao!! What a bastard. :laugh:

Anyways, the concert was damn brilliant. What a gorgeous song, and they made it full-length so it was all the more awesome. I was amused when the skeptical guy was the first to start crying rivers until the end of it and after. The whole scene was really excellent, the only thing it lacked was a SOUND round of applauses!!

Also Nodame is getting more serious with piano. Chiaki's performance must have left a very deep impression on her.

Marius2000 said:
I love this show. I know I've said that before but just in case you forgot.

I know. :love: At this rate the show will definitely land in my Top 20.

Back