New to manga. Unsure about my taste.

Discussion in 'Manga Recommendations' started by StarWater, May 13, 2019.

1. StarWater

StarWater New Member

So I've been trying to get into manga quite recently. I absolutely loved Akatsuki no Yona but I'm not quite sure what it is that I like. I'm guessing it's the historical setting and light politics. I'm not a fan of romance so I'm not interested in most of the recommendations given for Yona. I know that I hate heavily action oriented ones as well. I know I might seem like a difficult case here but I get offended quite easily so I would like to steer clear of manga with even moderately suggestive content (just my preference). I don't mind strong violence or dark themes, however.
    I have been trying to use the advanced search for days on end trying to find something that interests me and now I'm just tired and close to giving up. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I have been struggling to find my footing for months now.

2. daisicles

daisicles Well-Known Member

Are there particular themes that you know you find interesting in anime or other media? Or particular stories or character types or something like that?

I haven't read Akatsuki no Yona, so I can't even begin to comment on how similar this might be, but if you're interested in a historical setting with some politics, you might try A Bride's Story (with the caveat that there is a bit of romance but bc it's an arranged marriage, their relationship is more about the familial/social connections for most of the story, and it's more historical slice of life than anything else).

I'm sorry if this isn't helpful either, but if there are other stories you especially like, it might help narrow down what aspects of them you like a bit more?

3. StarWater

StarWater New Member

That sounds interesting. I don't mind familial kind of romance with an arranged marriage as long as it's not abusive. I guess I will check it out. Thank you.
    As for themes and things I find interesting, I usually enjoy strong character development, good character dynamics, simple symbolism and ideas or themes that seem to run throughout a show or a book. The 'coming of age' kind of stories.
    I don't really care much about the complexity of the plot or how new or unique it is. I'm more interested in presentation and hence I tend to generally like slice of life style shows which likes to work at a slightly slower pace with strong world building.
    I know I am not being very helpful here but, unfortunately, most of the time I like something, I'm usually not sure why. It's like something just clicks inside me all of a sudden and I start loving it. So I am extremely grateful for any help that I can get. Thank you again.

4. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Database Moderator

Since you are new to manga, here's a bunch of recs to get you started. Hopefully you'll enjoy some of them!

For historical/fantasy setting and light politics:
    - The Heroic Legend of Arslan
    - The Story of Saiunkoku
    - Altair: A Record of Battles

And since you like slice of life and slower paced stories also, might I suggest:
    - Barakamon
    - The Royal Tutor
    - It's My Life
    - Somali to Mori no Kami-sama
    - Mushishi

And here's some that I have to recommend because I think they are really good:
    - Kino's Journey
    - Bloody Mary (Akaza SAMAMIYA)
    - Descending Stories: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
    - Kodocha: Sana's Stage (some romance, but it's light because the characters are very young. Also some language, such as a character using the word pimp, because she's an innocent kid and doesn't understand what it means)

5. Ebonyslayer

Ebonyslayer Well-Known Member

6. StarWater

StarWater New Member

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Interestingly, even though I am already familiar with most of these titles, having someone else recommend them gives me a push to try them.

Ebonyslayer likes this.
  7. Asyeurin

Asyeurin New Member

You might try Youjo Senki, even if you've seen the anime, the author is pretty thorough in their knowledge of the war, but also politics and science, there's definitely a high technical awareness for those who appreciate it, and as Tanya is effectively a demon child, romance isn't something that's really considered at any point as far as I've read or can imagine. On that note I'd try looking into other military or even psychological/crime manga. Hell, try Death Note; it's not famous for nothing, and if you're interested in intellectual content mystery and seinen types look like the way to go. Well, I'm not really familiar with historical series, but shounen and shoujo will usually have that action or romance element that you don't seem to want. Josei is a little harder to pinpoint, but I'd say a lot of the slice-of-life stuff falls in that category, so while it might not be that intellectual you'll find lighter hearted things that you might enjoy, that focus more on friendship and family than romance. At least josei is usually pretty scrupulous, you'll have to be a bit more careful with seinen I expect, things can get pretty mature depending on the series. I hope that's at least a bit helpful ^^"

8. StarWater

StarWater New Member

Thank you for the advice! It is indeed very helpful and I think I would have reached the same conclusion sooner or later. I think quite a few of my favourite anime series fall in the seinen category, so I guess that is the way to go for manga as well.