New screenshot upgrade

Most of the changes/upgrades that have happened to this site haven't affected me and the few that have I enjoyed, but I figure that I should come here and say that I'm not really enjoying this screenshot change at the moment. Granted, I haven't seen the finished product and, in the end, this is your baby, but the pages just seem so much more empty now. It's just the one picture, a blurb of text, and a lot of unused space.

Also the pop-up/overlay/whatever you call it for the screenshots is a bit of an annoyance as I have to close it before clicking links from the page. I'll reserve my final judgement until the restructuring is complete, but I always found the tabs intuitive and helpful. Again, this is your website and I'm sure I'll get used to the new style, but I just felt the need to make my opinion known.

continues to be depressing that basically zero people appreciate the upgrade

Don't be...

Is a great upgrade but no one seen it coming , so are a bit scared of change... i got used to the change and can't wait for all the upgrade to be applied... or at least bigger pictures... now they seem smaller than before... ^_^

Good work !

Well its probably not being viewed as an upgrade yet because:

1) The design is unfinished and people are unable to appreciate what the final product will look like.
2) Even the part they now have access too doesn't look as good as it eventually will, because most of the existing screenshots aren't sized properly to enjoy the new format fully.

Once we are able to get some bigger screenshots in there, and the page design formulates more and people see where you're going with it, I think people will change their tune a bit ^.^

I think people don't like it because atm there is no improvement, it just takes an extra step to see same size screenshots now, people will probably like it more when the screenshots are bigger and the tabs are removed but I'm looking forward to the finished thing :)

No, sothis, no. That's not how it works. Most people who are indifferent or like the general idea will not post anything. Because they are waiting for the finished product. People who post are those who already have decided they feel strongly enough about the idea of change. So I think the motivations you're seeing here are not representative.

People do not post 'THANKS I LOVE IT!' until they have actually seen what the finished product looks like. Now, since you announced that there was a feature change without the feature actually being completed, don't be surprised if people react negatively because, as it is right now, it doesn't look good.

You made a plan based on research you've done. Trust in your own instincts and your own tastes, and just get on with the job. If you wish, you can ignore this thread until the feature is fully redesigned.

yeah Queenie has it right,...and besides ...it isn't like you've been wrong about stuff...people are just resistant to change...even for the better ....where the goddess move i will follow....

No, sothis, no. That's not how it works. Most people who are indifferent or like the general idea will not post anything. Because they are waiting for the finished product. .

I'm one of those people =P Just waiting to see what you've got up your sleeve.

Well I was waiting because there are allready many users who said what I am thinking :P Guess you can think whatever you want about users who are not posting and create whatever reason you like. But before I am tagged as "likes the new thing and is waiting for the finished product to say thx" I will state that's not the case :D It's new and unfinished therefore it feels odd, it's an overlay - I use zoomed screens and therefore the old tab-thing was way better for me and it felt better too.

Even though - I really love this site, I really appreciate all the work the staff is putting in and I hope to realize the good sites of the recent changes sooner or later. And because I am happy to be here I care :)

(for not posting means to agree with the minority?) :P

*sorry for long post

wasn't overly bothered at first as i posted in this thread already.

but to be honest its beginning to be frustrating to not see the Screens front centre. I think that whatever design you have in mind needs to incoparate Screens prominently. Bigger screens can still be used in the same fashion the screenshots are being used in as of right now. Just click to get a bigger version.

But its without question that the first thing i look for on an Anime's profile page is the Screenshots. It is the best first impression of a show. You can tell quite abit about a show just from what it looks like from a few captured screens.

The way anime looks is key to why we all enjoy this medium so much and the screens incoparate that.

I love the idea of having less tabs or none at all and displaying all that infomation upfront but Screens need to be their in some capacity much in the same fashion they were before because they are the First impression for so many people.

Like i said earlier i was at first indifferent , i'm well pass the stage of an immediate negative reaction to change. Its just not worth my time as it is something that is normally for the better.

This may still be for the better but for the first time in awhile i feel strongly enough about this change to something that i think it needs a slight re-thinking as its tampering my experience of using this website.

I know the screens arn't gone but i'd sacrifice less text for those screens to be up front and centre. Its where they belong on anything from a Anime show Profile to a Tv shows or Movies Profile too on other websites.

Show me what it looks like is always the best first impression and now the profile pages lack this front and centre.

Sooooooooooo many people get into anime because of the way it looks and i think that is why many people watch a show is because they liked the way it looked.

For example i watched Kaiji soley based on the screenshots i saw on this website. This series is now a Personal Favourite of mine. Because i loved the way it looked was why i gave this show a go.

I wont continue because it will come off as griefing which i wouldnt want it to come off as that. I love this website and im very grateful to those who make it happen and would in fact happily pay a subscription to this website (in its exact current state,screenshots moved and everything) i value it that much.

my two cents :P

Last edited:
i just dont understand the argument - before the screenshots weren't front and center, you could only see a single one. all that's saved is a single click

I really do love this idea. However right now it's kind of broken, since most of the screen shots are still the same size they were with the original system. However just like the manga database, which started out with very little, but is now constantly getting new entries. Putting up new screen shots for shows will take a while. Overall this update will turn out to be great, it will just take time. :thumbsup:

i just dont understand the argument - before the screenshots weren't front and center, you could only see a single one. all that's saved is a single click

But, you could see it. Bang, right there when you go to the page. Now, it's just an arrow that tells you to click some button, and gives them to you in an annoying overlay. What I'm trying to say is, you did the one thing no one on the internet likes. You took away instantaneous...ness. Internet users like stuff quick, and right there. One more click to see something, can be a real annoyance.

everyone....at least wait till the job is done before you decide if you like it or not....sothis is bound to play with the site ..it is hers after all and so far she has made one of if not the best anime web sites on the net so give her some slack...

This upgrade is a mistake, doesn't work nearly as well or fast as it used to and it's just too much work as compared to how it used to be.

From here on out is my opinion, kill the light box, I used to just click on the anime and look at the first screenshot to decide if the graphics were good enough and now I have to go through all that just to see one screenshot.

I love anime-planet and been using it for quite some time now, and despite the fact that I never use the forums I decided to drop by to let you know, that this is a mistake.

So I was wondering, sothis... Since so many people liked it better to see the first screenshot just as they open the page (and without lightbox), but you reasonably want to make the tabs disappear, isn't there a way to move all the other sections (reviews, staff, characters, etc) as you wanted to but keeping the screenshots alone how they were? There's no need for the tabs so people will see the other sections better, plus for those who're in just for the screenshots they'll have them in the most direct way.

Just a suggestion. Whatever you come up with, though, I'm sure it'll be good.

Back