New Game! 2

Backslide.
I am NOT looking forward to the newbies. I mean, the anti-Aoba chick is kinda hot, but she's also NOT what this story needs, after all the character development this season has given us. Sending Hifumi around the corner so a different busty girl can be irrationally snarky to Aoba is not a choice I want to have to watch play out.

I mean, how are we gonna get the Hifumi x Aoba ship quota filled if Hifumi isn't there all the time?!

It's not an organic change, like everything else we've gotten so far. And I am not a fan of forced shakeups to storytelling--especially when they involve additions to the established roster.

That said: more Nene incoming. Which is great. Because I love Nene.

And more Umiko x Nene. Which is great. Because I love Umiko x Nene.

tumblr_otwtcxsr4s1u86t2qo2_540.gif

Yeah it is.

And, yeah, new ED is different. Which is bad if only because it is a microcosm of what I was saying in past weeks about this: the themes are just season one but done better--just like the whole of season two had been.

No me gusta.

Backslide.
I am NOT looking forward to the newbies. I mean, the anti-Aoba chick is kinda hot, but she's also NOT what this story needs, after all the character development this season has given us. Sending Hifumi around the corner so a different busty girl can be irrationally snarky to Aoba is not a choice I want to have to watch play out.

I mean, how are we gonna get the Hifumi x Aoba ship quota filled if Hifumi isn't there all the time?!

It's not an organic change, like everything else we've gotten so far. And I am not a fan of forced shakeups to storytelling--especially when they involve additions to the established roster.

Glad im not alone in thinking this
This season put a lot of work into Hifumi, it seems now they are moving her out the picture, okay not writing her out but the main group has essentially replaced her, them 4 see more focus together, just like Ko + Rin, who DON'T work with them in the same area...
Sadly the worst thing is as you say, this Hifumi x Aoba ship will never set sail if this is their plan? Feels like new chick is just a barrier.

I honestly don't get why we need them? It feels like her personality doesn't fit in as well, the series isn't about drama, and i am not saying she is going to be trouble but she clearly has some odd instant gained rivalry to Aoba... last i checked, people was friendly(ish) and got on well, it wasn't about competitive working and such, i like the lively bright atmosphere, i feel they are essentially burning all their Hifumi progress and ruining the main group all in one... as if shooting themselves in the foot with these characters...
i never get series like these, to expand their main group doesn't usually work out too well.

Also, just saying, Ko commented on it makes sense for Hifumi to move because she is the leader? last i checked, team leaders work better around... oh i dunno... THEIR TEAM they lead?

Glad im not alone in thinking this
This season put a lot of work into Hifumi, it seems now they are moving her out the picture, okay not writing her out but the main group has essentially replaced her, them 4 see more focus together, just like Ko + Rin, who DON'T work with them in the same area...
Sadly the worst thing is as you say, this Hifumi x Aoba ship will never set sail if this is their plan? Feels like new chick is just a barrier.

I honestly don't get why we need them? It feels like her personality doesn't fit in as well, the series isn't about drama, and i am not saying she is going to be trouble but she clearly has some odd instant gained rivalry to Aoba... last i checked, people was friendly(ish) and got on well, it wasn't about competitive working and such, i like the lively bright atmosphere, i feel they are essentially burning all their Hifumi progress and ruining the main group all in one... as if shooting themselves in the foot with these characters...
i never get series like these, to expand their main group doesn't usually work out too well.

Also, just saying, Ko commented on it makes sense for Hifumi to move because she is the leader? last i checked, team leaders work better around... oh i dunno... THEIR TEAM they lead?
In their defense...
It's sound managerial theory to put some distance between the team leader and the people he--or she, in this case--manages. So moving her to sit next to Ko both makes sense and isn't much of a problem for the trending character development, per se. After all, she's going to be overseeing the work pretty diligently, and the 4 girls don't have to be sitting together to still have their dynamic. Who says she can't stop by for tea? Or sit with them in the cafeteria? And think of how much more Hifumi would develop having to spend more screen time dealing with Ko and Rin and...Shizuku? (I'm blanking on the glasses lady's name.) And think of how the other three might develop with the new dynamic! This could be a fun change.

...except then they threw in this new girl.

Anti-Aoba and Bland Friend could be okay as minor characters for new hire Nene to deal with (as she strengthens her yuri bonds with Umiko, obvs), but contrived rival Anti-Aoba is a bridge too far, too much all at once, in terms of shaking things up.

At least, for now. Maybe it'll be awesome.

It won't be. But maybe.

It won't be.

In their defense...
At least, for now. Maybe it'll be awesome.

It won't be. But maybe.

It won't be.

^It really wont be... okay i will give them a chance but this has happened in so many series, and every time, it is never... EVER, fun

It...no, this is probably somewhat spoiler-y, so:
It's a testament to the massive uptick of this season that, for much of this episode, Anti-Aoba managed to be just another evolution of the show--that is, that everyone treated her presence as though it was something they'd always had on their list of things to get to, a problem, of sorts, for them to solve--as a group. (The discussions about how long they've worked together highlight this point perfectly.)

And, as such, they even got our darling Hifumi--she's soooo great--in for some of her trademark season 2 character growth.

And then it did that rivalry bit we were worried about, right at the end. And...ugh.

I'm in a Monday morning quaterbacking mood, today, so I'm going to say this about Anti-Aoba--and it's what I said last week: she should be part of the Nene subplot. She could even still dislike Aoba--just from afar. I think there's much more potential to that kind of comic subplot, especially since it would be something our main girls wouldn't even know about. Anit-Aoba, lurking across the office, grinding her teeth to herself...and then getting a swift whack in the head from Umiko for being away from her desk. (Plus she's so antithetical to bright'n'bouncy Nene, which could be funny.)

Or maybe that's just me.
Also: gold star for Shizuku. For effort. For almost taking the crown from Hifumi for an episode.

But only almost.

And then it did that rivalry bit we were worried about, right at the end. And...ugh.

I'm in a Monday morning quaterbacking mood, today, so I'm going to say this about Anti-Aoba--and it's what I said last week: she should be part of the Nene subplot. She could even still dislike Aoba--just from afar. I think there's much more potential to that kind of comic subplot, especially since it would be something our main girls wouldn't even know about. Anit-Aoba, lurking across the office, grinding her teeth to herself...and then getting a swift whack in the head from Umiko for being away from her desk. (Plus she's so antithetical to bright'n'bouncy Nene, which could be funny.)

Or maybe that's just me.
Also: gold star for Shizuku. For effort. For almost taking the crown from Hifumi for an episode.

But only almost.

I second that, i would love her to move over the line to the Nenechi subgroup, personally i can't justify her rivalry either way but at least this way if she did have to have it, it wouldn't be forced down us like it is, equally, it would make it minor as a whole...

Remember that other new girl and Nenechi (particularity the new one), yeah they could do with some screen time, not 1 minute and then ignore them (especially the new one, Why does this one get a episode focus and she is lucky to see 30 seconds).

Anyway, yeah wasn't as bad as i feared but it had to add in into the ending.... not sure what they want from this little rivalry though, i mean, the group has never had real moods like this and it isn't a series which needs such drama, the series is good because the chemistry which exists is positive, throwing sour apples wont help that in my eyes.

...not sure what they want from this little rivalry though, i mean, the group has never had real moods like this and it isn't a series which needs such drama, the series is good because the chemistry which exists is positive, throwing sour apples wont help that in my eyes.
Yes. Yes, this exactly. It's antithetical to the established motif: light and silly.

Of course, in some cases, more dramatic moments have crept into this season--but they are brief and promote growth on the part of our characters. It's these little flourishes that help give this season the bump over the first that we've been talking about, that provide the ability for there to be not just character/story evolution but character/story depth.

However, what they seem to be angling for with this new twist is...not that.

Episode 8
See what happens when you let a manager run wild? Sure, the whole scene was cute, but it felt like it went just a bit too far, especially with the pictures. At least she got dragged out by her collar, so that's something.

I liked how Momo was still wearing her maid outfit after, though. Guess she liked it. Also, that Hifumi stare.. nicely done.

I didn't think Momo was all that cute last episode, but she's grown on me a bit now. She's almost like a second Hifumi, except her social awkwardness is more being blunt than it is shy. Even their style is somewhat similar. I really like the other new girl's design, too!

Gah, Hifumi, why is everything you do so adorable?

So many great little moments this episode. The character team sitting around awkwardly at the restaurant and momo starts randomly chewing some ice, Aoba equating Momo's and Yagami's standoffishness as her going around in her underwear, Momo's giant rice balls for lunch, Momo getting embarrassed over her stomach growling, and Momo telling Hifumi that she can't have any of the rice ball.

1. F*** these new girls.

Did...did they seriously get added for tits? Seriously?! Son of a--they're making me complain about fanservice! I love fanservice--even the most unnecessary fanservice--and now I am genuinely mad about this instance because F*** THESE NEW GIRLS for interrupting my main girls and their awesome character-developing, blessedly yuri-intensifying second season!

Anti-Aoba and Anti-Nene can go die in a fire.

3. I will never tire of Umiko x Nene. Or Hifumi doing literally anything.

I'll agree in that I'm worried about the prospect of less Hifumi in exchange for the new characters. I didn't particularly like the red head girl in ep 7, but she was ok in the eighth.

It's normal for a workplace to bring on new people. I can't imagine they'll have the new people being an intrusive obstruction for all too long, but I do have ep 9 to watch so we will see.

That maid scene was a bit over the top though for my liking.

1. F*** these new girls.

Did...did they seriously get added for tits? Seriously?! Son of a--they're making me complain about fanservice! I love fanservice--even the most unnecessary fanservice--and now I am genuinely mad about this instance because F*** THESE NEW GIRLS for interrupting my main girls and their awesome character-developing, blessedly yuri-intensifying second season!

Anti-Aoba and Anti-Nene can go die in a fire.

3. I will never tire of Umiko x Nene. Or Hifumi doing literally anything.

ye know... i honestly feel this comment could never be so deserving of praise than what my mind is giving it, like seriously, you need an award for this alone... no im serious, i couldn't put it better myself

So Momiji was stand-offshy and bitchy to Aoba, other slag didn't get screen time, i admit (god i was wrong) that the other girl might of been better as she reminded me of Hajime, no wait, she is uber bitch, like for real! so she is essentially on her first real task (well training task thing) and she gets up in Aoba's business because she said she knew Umiko, instantly she only got hired because of that (glossing over her ability to design her own game or i dunno... the debugging work she proved effective at last year), but no, like when normal people think this we keep quite about such thing, maybe hold a grudge is said person is an arse and turns out to be useless (making that reason of being hired more likely) or god, worst case blurting it out in an argument, no she just out there says it because Nenecchi admitted (admirably) she doesn't know what to do with her life (because no one has ever thought that whilst in college, school or just after leaving them) and thinks the games company could be fun... I'm sorry, i seriously could rant forever on this girl. Honestly i keep thinking so many things over but i will refrain from putting it, don't want to come over as some troll on a bad day. So yeah, get rid of her.
Momiji is still herself, rude to Aoba just because, instead of trying to befriend her and then deciding if she does or doesn't like her, meh, more sense to hate.
Also, what was the scene about in their room? Like 10 minutes of these two just talking, weak excuse for fanservice (which even @interregnum isn't interested in, and he loves his fan service!) and some petty excuse to... i dunno, please someone explain? was this the writers idea of trying to make us see they aren't arses at home? Because if so, not only was it portrayed terribly, it was done so to the people who have watched and come to love the main cast for 1 and a half seasons to have these two ruining it all but also, to top the cake, that just means they have no intention of being nice to anyone but one another... so why add this scene? it just makes me think where i wasted 10 minutes.

I could go one but we get it

The yun x Hajime stuff was spot on though, i have routed for these two from day one and i love them both, they are perfect and i like their developments with one another and how close they are as friends.
Best couples for me will always work as:
Aoba x Hifumi
Nenechi x Umiko
yun x Hajime
Rin x Kou

^ we need no extra couple and more over, we don't need people interfering. Hifumi has gotten her all deserved screen time at last and it should stay as such, Aoba has gotten along with Hifumi from day one so these two have always hit it off well, they DON'T need an outsider getting between them.

Whilst Umiko and Nenechi don't see the screen time as much, they make a great counter for one another and contrast perfectly is such a way it just works, but i see new "girl" (i could think of a better name) being a issue here... i apologise for the language... god this episode annoyed me after Yun and Hajime's small part.

Someone surely can't tell me the writers liked the idea of adding these two? Unless they plan to write them out (i doubt it, Aoba and Hifumi are too friendly to be baited by Mimiji) i see no benefit? Even if they are going for the whole "they will become nicer in time and grow on you", yeah not only does that rarely work but also, it is destroying the show to get there, seems counter productive. they both are just in the way, and I'm not talking the obviously hidden yuri stuff here, the series is a fun watch because it just has that nice calm feel, it is just enjoyable and cute but now i find myself writing angry posts like this... what is going on in that writers head?

but I do have ep 9 to watch so we will see.
If you didn't like her attitude, prepare to properly meet her friends real personality, it puts Momiji's issues to shame.

@Madoka It is a shame really. I was much more interested in seeing the original team overcome their own personal struggles.
Much like the Yagami Ko v Suzukaze Aoba rivalry. A work rivalry between two friends whom we have known since S1 Ep1.

@Madoka It is a shame really. I was much more interested in seeing the original team overcome their own personal struggles.
Much like the Yagami Ko v Suzukaze Aoba rivalry. A work rivalry between two friends whom we have known since S1 Ep1.
I second that, ideally i think most viewers wanted this, which is odd as the start of the season was working well, Aoba and Ko had that sort of chemistry with the situation but it worked, i think adding new characters is hard enough and a lot to expect as is right of the bat but if nothing else they could of realised the fans like the current character set and re-thought. Or i dunno, worked their personality down, this is a chill series if you ask me and i think they are getting away from what we love with these two, work rivalry is fine (your example proves so) if done right, neither of these two seem to work, at least in my eyes, but reading here, i don't think I am alone in wanting it to focus back on the main group, the team we have known from the start, i like watching them grow, face challenges, beat said challenge (or even fail and learn from it) and grow as friends... i don't want the series to loose its touch really.

Episode 9
Akki is so cute! #LongHair, and her clothes suit her very well, too!

"I hid the fact that I was an otaku in high school"

Haha too bad Hajime's friend, Akki, already knew about her being an otaku. I think Hajime looks better with long hair and Yun looks better without glasses though.

I'm not that surprised that Naru was mad at Nene. She kinda made it sound like she got the job on a whim while Naru actually worked for it. Still I hope it works out for them both.

;-; am I the only one that doesn't like the new characters as much. I don't see how this got better ratings then season 1. I liked season 1 better to be honest and I hate it how Rin is becoming well more and more pushed off.

;-; am I the only one that doesn't like the new characters as much. I don't see how this got better ratings then season 1. I liked season 1 better to be honest and I hate it how Rin is becoming well more and more pushed off.
Whilst i never felt attached to Rin one way or the other (she was never a big figure of the group), i do agree it has essentially wrote her out of it all but the odd 'hi' moment to remind us she hasn't died.
As for the new girls, read above, no one particularity likes them, this isn't limited to this forum either, i have checked over several others and most everyone is saying the same, no one likes them at all - In fact, the only people who i have found who actually think they are improving the show seem to only agree because they have boobs... yes fanservice is the only reason anyone can find to like them, that is just how little the fans care for them. Season 2 was off to a good start, Hifumi has been a fan favourite forever and was given screen time to develop her which made fans love it, the shows move in making Aoba have a big position in the new project outside fairies was also well received as it let her move up, character development all around really was going great and thus a big reason the second season was off to a positive received start, now however....

Whilst i never felt attached to Rin one way or the other (she was never a big figure of the group), i do agree it has essentially wrote her out of it all but the odd 'hi' moment to remind us she hasn't died.
As for the new girls, read above, no one particularity likes them, this isn't limited to this forum either, i have checked over several others and most everyone is saying the same, no one likes them at all - In fact, the only people who i have found who actually think they are improving the show seem to only agree because they have boobs... yes fanservice is the only reason anyone can find to like them, that is just how little the fans care for them. Season 2 was off to a good start, Hifumi has been a fan favourite forever and was given screen time to develop her which made fans love it, the shows move in making Aoba have a big position in the new project outside fairies was also well received as it let her move up, character development all around really was going great and thus a big reason the second season was off to a positive received start, now however....
Now it's felt like it has ground to a bit of a halt. It's probably a fault of the source material, and they felt they had to adapt it? I'm fine with new characters, but they could have done a better job of introducing them into the show. We already have an arc ongoing for it to then have this on top.

No, seriously: f*** these new girls.
At least Rin showed up. And we got some sweet Rin x Ko to boot.

And some Umiko x Nene. And even a dash of Hamije x Yun. All things that make me smile.

What we didn't get was goddamn best girl Hifumi--because we had to spend time watching Anti-Nene whine. I NEED MY HIFUMI x AOBA, DAMMIT!!!

Look, I'm sorry, I don't mean to go off like some jerk on an internet forum (pausing for irony), but f*** these new girls.
And that said, I like the teasing--er, plot teasing they did, near the end. Has me quite excited for what might be around the corner.

(I mean, I'd be more excited if it was a raptor that only eats new characters, but I'll take interesting plot.)

Episode 10
Seriously, what is this girls problem? I like even Hajime picked up on her presence attitude issue in the form of creating a intimidating look on people, funny she was happy to submit a half finished or buggy mini game (despite Momiji admitted she would normally hate that) but when is comes to Nenechi doing it, it is a whole new matter, fricken hypocrite!

Thankfully we didn't have to deal with Momiji this episode, well not to speak of, but i still don't see what they want with the new girls? So we all agree they aren't likeable, their presence to the story is nothing more than extra hands and introduced so late in the season we are now looking on the last episodes... why are they here again?

I did like the end of this episode a bit, watching everyone go home together, Yun and Hajime's little chat for the evening, Ko and Rin (i know, she is still alive!!!) little date thing was nice.

Still wish they would write out the girls

on a side note @interregnum i like the raptor idea, i am counting on it next episode!!!

Back