New feature: site notifications

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Jul 11, 2019.

1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Jul 11, 2019
    Today we've released V1 of something requested for a long time now - site notifications. We have many plans for improving this feature now that the first version is out the door - keep reading for the full story.

[​IMG]

How it works

Certain types of content will now appear as a site notification. The notification appears as an orange circle with a white number in it when there's new notifications, and a blue bell icon when there aren't.

[​IMG]

Clicking the notification circle clears the number on the icon, but individual notifications will have the grayish background to indicate they are "new" until:

• You click "mark all as read"

• Or, you click an individual notification. Clicking an individual notification links you to the content in question.

The other way to access notifications is by clicking "see all" in the modal. This brings you to a full notifications page, that has the same layout, but is full screen.

[​IMG]

Mobile

The notification feature was designed responsively to work on phones and tablets.

Notification types

For launch, notifications are limited to the following items:

• New comments (on your profile, reviews, custom lists, challenges)

• Site notifications (we backported a few of these, but it will include any new posts made in this site announcements forum)

We're immediately going to begin work on new types of notifications:

• "Love" notifications (heart icon, or review votes for helpful/funny) for your reviews and custom lists

• Notifications when people follow you

• Site-based updates, such as:

• A new episode is available for a series you're watchin
    • New recommendations for something you've marked watched
    • And many other ideas

The site-based updates are the most asked for by the community, and also are the most complex, so they'll take some time to complete. But, these are a top priority.

Logged out users

Logged out users will also see site notifications for any new site announcements. Our hope with doing this is that the many unregistered users we have will learn about new features or updates, and will decide to register. We have a huge amount of unregistered users who think that Anime-Planet is solely a streaming site and only ever access the video pages - these notifications might help them realize there's a lot more to A-P!

FAQ

How can I turn off notifications?

Very soon, we'll have a way for you to turn off different notification types. Site notifications are rare enough that we don't plan to allow an opt-out for those, but comments will be possible to turn off asap.

Other new notification types will also be opt-out at launch.

Can you add [this type of notification]?

See the section above. Many new notification types are being planned and worked on, and will take time to roll out.

Will forum notifications be included in site notifications, someday?

Not sure. The forum is a separate system and will be hard to integrate. We'd like to, at minimum, get PM notifications added to the site notifications. We'll need to migrate to a newer version of our forum software in the future, and hopefully there will be an easier way to do this.

I found a bug, where can I report it?

Please post it in the bug forum.

Thanks for your support!

Thanks, as always, for your support of Anime-Planet. If you like this or other features consider making a donation as it helps pay for the servers and keeps the site going. Or check out other ways to support Anime-Planet.

2. Zed60K

Zed60K Database Moderator

Posted by Zed60K on Jul 11, 2019
    We all need to know when @Zed60K had commented on our best mom lists.

3. Iodine

Iodine New Member

Posted by Iodine on Jul 11, 2019
    Dope!

4. greendayrulestce

greendayrulestce New Member

No idea if I've ever even posted but I like this!

5. karpoof

karpoof New Member

c'est très bien

6. ChalamiuS

ChalamiuS Squisher of Bugs Developer

I feel like the announcement needs more Tohru though.

7. hell0emi

hell0emi Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

StanOfFandom and Nicknames like this.
  8. Zed60K

Posted by Zed60K on Jul 11, 2019
    You can never go wrong with Milf Tohru announcements.

9. Noitra

Noitra Member

Posted by Noitra on Jul 11, 2019
    I love this new feature.

Nicknames and HKBattosai like this.
  10. Schuplik

Schuplik New Member

That's great!

Nicknames likes this.
  11. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

That's one of our goals with the feature - I'd argue most people have no idea the forum even exists, and had no idea site announcements existed either. We hope that many people start to use the forum for discussions/participating after realizing how easy it is to do so :)

12. Esper26

Esper26 Member

Cool

EternalYumeLove and Nicknames like this.
  13. HKBattosai

HKBattosai Database Moderator

I was wondering all of a sudden, "What the heck is this appearing at the top right corner of my phone?" No need to rush improving it either. V1 is solid!

[​IMG]

14. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

Who's the best milf, @Zed60K ?

15. Zed60K

16. ChalamiuS

ChalamiuS Squisher of Bugs Developer

17. EternalYumeLove

EternalYumeLove Well-Known Member

Nice feature!! Thank you!

Nicknames likes this.
  18. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

Wooo! This is awesome!

EternalYumeLove and Starletka like this.
  19. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

20. Soron

Soron New Member

Posted by Soron on Jul 11, 2019
    Through this comment I want to notify that I could not think of a good pun to make related to the announcement. Thank you for your attention.

Good feature, though…

FriendlyDemon and Nicknames like this.