New Feature: Life on Manga Bar

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thor123

thor123 Well-Known Member

Sothis, would it perhaps be possible to put a link to this thread in a more visible place for the people visiting the forum (or maybe even for all people who visit the site)? I think you really have to be lucky to see this thread in the line of the "last posts", and the "site announcement" subforum doesn't seem to be the most frequented place either... If more people would see the thread, maybe we'd get more response then?

Apart from that: I like the feature (and I wish I had it for a while already), and I think the count may be often quite close to reality for me (about 4 minutes per chapter and 36 minutes per volume for most series, but it depends). It's not like it's possible to get it perfect, but anyway: thank you! :balloon:

2. Drahken

Drahken Cross-eyed Cyclops

Question: If you mark a manga as read and the chapter and vol counts don't match up timewise (ie if each vol has 10 chs, totalling 50mins, vs the 30min/vol stat), which time does the db go with when generating your LoM total?
    Does it go based on which you had been marking? If so, what if you didn't mark anything before setting it to read?
    Does it always go by volumes? If so, then that means your time would suddenly drop when you went from having read 50 chapters to only having read 3 volumes.

3. StarsMine

StarsMine Database Moderator

I dont see how redneck could ever say he was objective with a straight face when making posts like that....Anyways.

If you read lots of manga and some volumes take less then 30 min, some take more then 30, in the end they still average out to something close to 30 min for the majority of people. Hell something like Bleach could be read in 10 min by me when I usually take 40 min or so to get through most volumes (not because I read slow, but because I like looking at all the artwork/easter eggs).

Though it does not effect me much at all since I dont read much manga (hate reading it online, expensive to get it on paper), I know mine is all inaccurate, I never update my list.

Though I do ask, for manga that is done, wouldn't it be a better system for a vol to be variable based off the average chapter per volume of a given work?

4. Drahken

It'd be better to go the other way. As already mentioned, volumes are generally a given size. When they have high chapter counts it's because each chapter is short. As such, the most accurate thing to do would be to shorten the time for each chapter in such a manga, while leaving the time for each vol at 30mins.

In theory it should be viable to put different times on different mangas, OVAs and movies do have varying episode lengths in the db, and even some anime series in the db have diff episode lengths. Of course, I don't know how much the manga db differs from the anime one behind the scenes, plus anime only has 1 thing per series to track, episodes, whereas manga has both vols and chapters.

5. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

Now I have a new way to track my procrastination on projects around the house.

Aces!

6. HiddenNugget

HiddenNugget Member

In love with this new feature! Awesome work and thank you to everyone who worked on it!

7. Nice addition!
    One thing that bugs me is that you guys should raise the time it takes to read a volume a bit. Here's why I believe so: Your typical volume is around 180-200pages long. Of course there are ones that are irregulars like Akira volumes for example, but most of the manga volumes are your, typical near 200 pages long ones. And if you go for weekly chapters, one volume will contain (on average) 8 of those. And if you take monthly series, well, 4 chapters, but they are twice the size. My problem is that anime episodes usually will cover 3 chapters to 4 in an episode, and if the anime pacing is fast I'm talking about here, so that's what in time around 40minutes? And they even cut some stuff out or humorous scenes are snap quick in anime, so it cuts its lenght by doing so. What I mean is, it's really unfair saying that your average reader reads through 200 pages in merely 30 minutes. Another thing, lets take naruto for example, what happens if you count time spent on each chapter now and volume? :

Naruto has 72 volumes and 700 chapters, so lets do the math:
    72(volumes) * 30(minutes) = 2160 minutes
    699 (chapters) *5(minutes) = 3495 minutes

Yeah, so guys who finished reading naruto shaved off and saved some time there...

8. RoyalOss

RoyalOss Database Moderator

By the way, this feature does make it a bit more important to be able to mark a series as read multiple times. Like you can mark a series as watched twice.

9. AndriasSch

AndriasSch Member

Sorry to up a thread from several months ago, but I was curious about the following:

For a long time I have liked this feature and appreciate the work behind it, but of recently
    it made me be too conscious of the time I spend when reading, it served it's purpose for
    me and now I don't feel like having it being shown.

Did the staff consider the possibility of allowing users to disable features like this one from
    their profiles? It would be nice since there are both people who likes it, and those who are
    not that interested in it.

Pd: I just reported a bug about this feature, too.

10. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

We don't currently have plans to allow hiding the feature

11. AndriasSch

AndriasSch Member

Ok, thank you for replying.

12. YariMari

YariMari Database Moderator

It's been a while since this thread was active, but I just wanted to say that I really enjoy the "life on manga" feature. However, I have to agree with some people here that 30 mins is way too short of a time to read one volume. For manga, it usually takes me an hour to read a volume, and for light novels it takes maybe 1,5 hour to read one volume. I know you can't change the time just because some people read slower than others, but maybe you could put up a poll on the start page of this site to let people vote on how long it takes for them to read one volume of a standard manga? If it turns out most people on this site read one in 30 mins, then that's it, but I still think it could be a good idea to ask people on the site :)

13. sothis

The current numbers were based on a site poll

Kari5 likes this.
  14. Sianeka

Sianeka Well-Known Member

@fuckssake Don't feel bad - I take as long as you to read a volume of manga. And people say I'm a fast reader. Obviously, not of manga! hahaha I've long wondered at those poll results - they just do not seem right to me, but what WOULD be right? The site has to use something for numbers, and those were the results of the poll.

15. Drahken

fuckssake's post brings up a good point though, the time for a LN should not be the same as for a manga. The poll only took manga into consideration. If possible, novels should be set to a different reading time, the way OVAs and movies have diff default times on the anime side of the DB, though the specific time for novels would need a new poll.

Alebord likes this.
  16. sothis

This would be very difficult to set up. We do not plan on adding this level of complexity at this time.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Oct 30, 2017
    Great feature

18. GuiltyIncest

GuiltyIncest New Member

Big supporter of this feature as well.

19. Mintymingi

Mintymingi Member

I think it could be possibly by maybe finding some sort of audio book for the LN and using the time the speaker uses for each chapter and turn that into minutes on this site.

20. Grizz

Grizz Database Moderator

Posted by Grizz on Jun 21, 2021
    Audio books do not exist for 99.5% of series. Improvements to the "time on manga" feature would require large overhaul of the manga DB that the dev team doesn't currently have the resources to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.