New Feature: Life on Manga Bar

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Sep 15, 2015
    Many years ago, Anime-Planet launched a unique feature called the life on anime bar. Today, we're announcing a related "life on manga" bar. This bar only displays if you've marked any manga (similar to the manga rating/stats boxes on your profile)

[​IMG]

We've been somewhat hesitant to build an equivalent manga counter, because unlike anime, how fast a person reads a chapter or volume is subjective. But many of you have asked for many years, so we've launched what is probably the best approximation (but of course, chime in if you have feedback!)

The current calculation is based on:

-1 chapter = 5 minutes
    -1 volume = 30 minutes

We don't have plans to allow each user to add a custom speed value, but it's possible to update these values if need be. The current values came from ample research (long threads on sites like Crunchyroll, our own community feedback, etc).

Enjoy the new feature! :drinking:

2. xCanaxCherry

xCanaxCherry Active Member

Finally! :love::smile::frustrat::laugh:

I've been waiting 3000 years for this. :happy:

3. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

Nice feature! (even if I have less than one day spent on manga :sweat:)

Btw, are there plans to include this bar in the signature?

4. Zaig

Zaig Well-Known Member

Posted by Zaig on Sep 15, 2015
    Cool new feature.

I'm guessing novels also count as 30 minutes.

5. sothis

Potentially, but imo we need better sig designs first

And indeed, my count was way lower than i expected too! haha

6. Funari

Funari Member

Posted by Funari on Sep 15, 2015
    Excellent.

(Thank you. Manga is certainly a bit of a tricky customer concerning timing but this formula seems appropriate enough, happy to see the anime bar meet its other half.)

7. sothis

There's no concept of manga 'types' on the site, just tags (we might change this eventually), so a vol is a vol is a vol (same with a chapter). Meaning webcomics, light novels, etc are all calculated the same way

8. LadyPsychic

LadyPsychic Well-Known Member

Interesting feature. Personally, it usually takes me at least an hour (or longer) to read one volume of manga, but then again I usually take my time reading (and the time it takes varies from manga to manga). Since everyone's reading speeds differ, calculating how much time someone spends on manga would be rather difficult; so, I suppose your current formula works well enough (though if it was me, I would've made the calculation times a little longer, but that's just my opinion).

9. Drahken

Drahken Cross-eyed Cyclops

My manga bar on't be all that accurate, because I tend not to update manga counts until I complete the series, or change it's status to stalled or dropped. .....Although, this feature might encourage me to update once in a while....

One oddity though: How is the length of the red bar calculated? I have nearly 5 months of anime and only 1.5 months of manga, yet the manga bar is very nearly the same length as the anime one.

10. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

This just seems wildly inaccurate. You can't guesstimate how long it takes people to read. Like me. I can finish a volume in 15 minutes, but this thing just automatically says 30? And what if there's a long chapter? I know AOT typically takes more than 5 minutes a chapter to read.

I don't like it.

11. sothis

Please re-read the first post, we made it fairly clear that this is an approximation :)

If you don't like it, that's fine. You don't need to point people to your score/use it in any way.

12. randomredneck

If it's just an approximation, then you really shouldn't have implemented it. Or at least made it optional for peoples pages. Or even have some custom timer thing. The whole point of the anime thing is that episode have set lengths. If a feature is inaccurate, maybe just not introduce it.

But now I'm stuck seeing it every time I visit my page. So thanks for that.

13. sothis

I keep wondering if over time, your replies to things you don't like would stop being so overly harsh and or would become less of an overreaction. That still hasn't happened, but I still have hopes that someday you'll tone it down a bit.

This is a community run by fans/volunteers, and we do the best we can, so there's really no reason to have such a shitty reaction whenever there's something you don't personally like.

TimeGears and Milo like this.
  14. Drahken

Drahken Cross-eyed Cyclops

Wow... Such a reaction....
    There's no way for a reading time to be completely accurate, a given person might read really quickly one day but very slowly the next, or read an interesting manga very quickly and a boring one very slowly. Aside from having everyone record exactly how long they spent reading something each & every time, the best anyone can do is make approximations.
    All of this "life on ____" stuff is really just for fun anyway. If you're that OCD about it, keep track yourself in notepad or something.

As far as being "stuck seeing it". SRSLY? *facepalm*
    If seeing it offends you so much, use CSS or other methods to filter it out. ...Or just don't go to your profile page (then you'll be like the rest of us, who avoid your profile. (OO! SNAP!))

[​IMG]
    ('cuz kitties make everything better)

15. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Sep 15, 2015
    ^^^^
    if we could still like posts i would like Drahken's post so hard!! :D

cute feature :D shocked that mine is a week since i barely read manga hehe

16. randomredneck

Then maybe you shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Well excuse me for being objective in my opinions.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Sep 15, 2015
    Excellent, I've always thought that the manga section has been somewhat overlooked, and the bar is a great step in rectifying this (imo).Cool feature.

18. TonyTonyChopper1

TonyTonyChopper1 New Member

-1 chapter = 5 minutes
    -1 volume = 30 minutes

If that's the calculation it isn't right for me by a long shot !!! if you would say 5 hours for a volume it would be closer ... yeha i'm slow ..

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Sep 16, 2015
    Time on Manga badges?

20. Sianeka

Sianeka Well-Known Member

All volumes = 30 minutes???? Even if there are many, many more chapters than 6 per volume???? That's not fair!!!

This should at least take into consideration the number of chapters, much the way the life on anime bar takes into consideration the number of episodes, since not all anime is 12 episodes long, for instance.

(And seriously, it takes me far longer than 30 minutes to read one volume of manga, typically.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.