New feature: change your own username

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Today we've launched a feature that I'm sure will make many people happy - you can now change your own username!

In the past, I personally had to change usernames, which meant that it didn't get done in a timely manner (since I'm always doing 800 things on the site, and username changes are fairly low priority in comparison to creating new site features, training moderators, etc).

Now, you can change your own username, no need to wait! Here's details:

• Anyone on the site can now edit your own username from the edit profile page. A new field for "username" appears there now.

• You can change your name ONCE EVERY 3 MONTHS, so choose your replacement name carefully. :) We do display a warning about this and you have to check a checkbox to see the edit form. Mods will not change your name for you if you do this anyways and then want to change it again. If you changed your username in the last 3 months, the edit option will not appear, and we'll tell you how long you need to wait to change it again.

• If you're just changing your name for fun, we suggest putting a note in your bio ("formerly known as whatever", or something like that), so that people aren't suddenly surprised at a new name in their follow list or someone they don't recognize in comments, etc. This is required for moderators (at least for awhile once you change your name) because of moderator notes left or other confusion reasons.

• Obviously, username changes should not be used to spam or break the site rules in some way. Username changes are tracked (not visible to users, but visible to me as admin) for that reason (and will only be used internally for investigating potential abuse issues).

• If you change your name make sure to update your forum signature (if it contains signature code), to match your new username.

I'm going to replace the current "how to change your username" topic with a non sticky help topic. We'll link it from the Contact Us page, and feel free to link users there when they ask how to change their username. Hopefully the process will be self explanatory when someone edits their profile, also.

Thanks, as always, for your continued support of Anime-Planet <3

Last edited:
Added two notes:

- If you update your name, make sure to update your forum signature
- The 'history in the bio' suggestion is mandatory for moderators (see our moderator chats in Discord)

UPDATE: there was a small launch bug that's now fixed. If you tried to change your name before a few minutes ago, please do it again (you'll be able to, and it'll actually update your site name that time :) )

My problem is slightly different. I have the same names on both the site and the forum except for the capital letters in my name. My name one the forum is rickgrimes and on the site is RickGrimes. I want it to be the RickGrimes in both the places. What should i do?

My problem is slightly different. I have the same names on both the site and the forum except for the capital letters in my name. My name one the forum is rickgrimes and on the site is RickGrimes. I want it to be the RickGrimes in both the places. What should i do?

Do nothing, we are going to run a script that fixes all of these usernames automatically (new names created won't have this problem)

Can't you use IDs (or E-Mail) instead of User Names so we can have Spaces and/or Special Characters in our names?

THANK you guys ヾ(´∇`○)
I waited for this feature since I am here! So since 2014 :D

Thank you for this. The username I originally had from 2009 was makeshift. Funny to see that if I showed back up a week or two earlier I wouldn't have been able to change it manually. o.O

I've been noticing quite a few users with broken sig pics due to changing their nicks.Please people, if/when you decide to change your nick, remember that your old pic will no longer exist, and go update your sig here on the forum.

problem lies with Photobucket, I have the same thing, if I want to use my own pictures , and link them, ya need to pay to do so now :(

problem lies with Photobucket, I have the same thing, if I want to use my own pictures , and link them, ya need to pay to do so now :(

Um, it has nothing to do with Photobucket. Our signature images aren't shared there.

Back