New feature: auto-sort your custom lists in alphabetical order

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We've noticed over time that the custom lists the community creates tend to be one of two types:

• A 'favorites' type of personal list (my top anime, my favorite sci fi manga, etc). Or, things that are subjective and should be in a certain order (suggested viewing orders, etc)

"Subjective" or favorite lists make sense to be in a specific order. But for the second category, I've personally noticed that I spend a lot of time dragging around the items in the list to be alphabetical, because alphabetical is usually the best ordering for those. That way, if someone wants to cross check what they've seen or read, it's easy to scan alphabetically.

For this reason we've added a new feature that will auto-sort your list for you in alphabetical order, if you opt-in. You can find this on the create/edit list page, in a new dropdown. Select Alphabetical order and then click the Publish list button to set up auto-sorting.

XxGxZIE.png

• This setting is per-list - change any custom list that you'd like to auto-sort. You don't need to add anything additional to the list, just go to the edit page, choose the dropdown value, and publish.

• You can change it back to "don't auto-sort my list" any time.

• After you opt-in to auto-sort by 'alphabetical order', that list will auto-sort anytime you add something new to the list from the create/edit list page, OR anytime you add something to the list from an entry page (an anime, manga, character, person's info page, using the 'add to custom list' widget).

We'll potentially add additional auto-sort options in the future, such as "my rating" or "release date", depending on trends we see in custom lists.

Thanks as always for your continued support of Anime-Planet <3

Yay, now we just need the opposite: manual sort for Want to Watch list ;-)

You can do this now - just create a new custom list, filter by 'want to watch', add all, then move them around into the order that you want and save

Sounds great, I have been waiting for this a long time, because there are too many anime I want to watch and I forget which I am more interested than others.

When we add a manga to our Want to Watch list, will it be automatically added to that custom list ?

Sounds great, I have been waiting for this a long time, because there are too many anime I want to watch and I forget which I am more interested than others.

When we add a manga to our Want to Watch list, will it be automatically added to that custom list ?

Nope, you'll need to add it manually. But, the 'add to new custom list' widget is right next to the status area, if you're on an anime's info page, so you could add it to that custom list as well. The custom list is a workaround for people who want to re-order their W2W list essentially

There is not an export custom lists feature, nor is there a plan to add one

Back