Neon Genesis Evangelion

This show annoyed me a lot but I always find myself comparing situations and characters from other shows to this one.

Continues to be one of those shows that you just have to experience.

yeah i just finished watching this show finally. or atleast this installment and i have to say. atleast personally, it was really difficult to follow through all the way to episode 26. very long buildup for me personally. it wasnt until like episode 21 that things started to come together for me. this is also one of those kinds on animes thats kinda difficult really to understand if you dont pay attention and alot of the stuff in it is symbolism and has a deeper meaning.

it was really difficult to follow through all the way to episode 26. very long buildup for me personally.
I know what you mean, althoug I'm only on episode 16 right now. I think this is a flaw many old anime have, since they try to feet the plot into the "monster of the week" format and that means crunching a lot of exposition and lore into one episode.

I know what you mean, althoug I'm only on episode 16 right now. I think this is a flaw many old anime have, since they try to feet the plot into the "monster of the week" format and that means crunching a lot of exposition and lore into one episode.
That may be because NGE isn't about the story at all, so it takes a complete backseat most of the time. It's a character exploration, not a narrative story.
So the "build-up" you both are talking about is basically the time it takes until the characters crack under the pressure.

Reactions: Zed
That may be because NGE isn't about the story at all, so it takes a complete backseat most of the time. It's a character exploration, not a narrative story.
So the "build-up" you both are talking about is basically the time it takes until the characters crack under the pressure.
That's not exactly right, they focus a great deal on characters which is awesome, seeing all their flaws and how everyone is a little bit damaged, which you could expect from survivors of such a huge disaster. But the hint and clues they drop in the spaces between have little impact, they are underwhelming. That might change on the last half, but so far that is the impression I have.

That's not exactly right, they focus a great deal on characters which is awesome, seeing all their flaws and how everyone is a little bit damaged, which you could expect from survivors of such a huge disaster. But the hint and clues they drop in the spaces between have little impact, they are underwhelming. That might change on the last half, but so far that is the impression I have.
That's what Hideaki Anno created it as, in his own words. Take away from it what you want, I'm not telling you how to experience things. But if you expect that NGE puts the story first and characters second, and not the other way around, you might end up disappointed.
This is why some people love it and other hate it. If you don't connect with at least a single character on more than just a shallow level you will have a hard time understanding why it ended up being a masterpiece.

It's a character exploration, not a narrative story.
I don't see how these two are mutually exclusive?

This part I entirely agree with though.

his is why some people love it and other hate it. If you don't connect with at least a single character on more than just a shallow level you will have a hard time understanding why it ended up being a masterpiece.
This is at least consistent with my experience -- I connected with at least one, maybe two of the characters, and I really appreciated the story (including the infamous TV ending).

I don't see how these two are mutually exclusive?
It isn't. But one is the main point, and the other serves as a vehicle for the first.
Normally we are used to characters propelling the plot. In NGE, on the other hand, the story is propelling the characters.

Reactions: Zed
It isn't. But one is the main point, and the other serves as a vehicle for the first.
Normally we are used to characters propelling the plot. In NGE, on the other hand, the story is propelling the characters.
I think I get what you're saying, just that I wouldn't have used the terms you used. To me, a character development story is still "story", it's just not necessarily the "backstory about the angels and the mechs and all the worldbuilding" story, which seems to be what you mean by that term.

I think I get what you're saying, just that I wouldn't have used the terms you used. To me, a character development story is still "story", it's just not necessarily the "backstory about the angels and the mechs and all the worldbuilding" story, which seems to be what you mean by that term.
Yeah, I used very technical terms and concepts without explaining them. My mistake.
But this is roughly what I meant.

I haven't seen NGE in years but I have seen it multiple times and each time there was something new to gain from it. It's one of those shows you have to watch multiple times to "get" and sometimes it takes more than just 3 or 4 rewatches. I'm disappointed I couldn't afford to go to the massive NGE convention in Houston this past March. It would have been awesome

I just started this today and I'm loving it so far but

Does the MC ever liven up?
So far it's like watching a depressed wet sock pilot a robot.

He can be annoying as a character. But he's is a kid, and kids are annoying and don't develop "I'm the hero of justice without fear" personas in real life. So....at least they nailed that xD

The Rick and Morty from anime. I liked it, but I didn't think it was amazing as people say. Guess I'm not philosophical and smart enough to understand symbolism to adore it as other people do.

I still haven't finished it but nostalgia goggles are a thing. I think sometimes shows like this get so much hype because nostalgia makes people remember it with a fancier coat of paint than what it really has. I'm enjoying it so far though.

I still haven't finished it but nostalgia goggles are a thing. I think sometimes shows like this get so much hype because nostalgia makes people remember it with a fancier coat of paint than what it really has. I'm enjoying it so far though.
I probably repeat myself, but NGE is a character study. So if you don't have at least one character you can identify yourself with or find very interesting, then you won't get what makes it great and are only left with the highbrow philosophical stuff.

Just to add: NGE came out at the right time. It was heavy deconstruction before the concept was even a thing, and even if most of its philosophy passes for forced these days, the series did try and bring maturity back to the anime scene. It's not so much the philosophy, it's the heavy emotions it'll make you feel because of its characters' angst.

NGE only looks a little basic by today's standards because so many other shows have already taken inspiration from it and tried to make the material better. It shouldn't be a knock against NGE or the nostalgic feelings it inspires, nor should it justify some of its outdated aspects. But it always helps to have a little context to recognize its legacy and imprint on anime.

Evangelion is the ultimate psychological anime. The portrayal and analysis of all the characters are spot on, from major ones such as Shinji, Asuka, Gendo and Misato to relatively minor ones such as black widow mother and daughter. If I had my way, I would make it compulsory material for undergraduate psychology students.

Unlike many, I like the ending of the main show, when characters and their relationships are analyzed and deconstructed. Admittedly, it is done because of budget cuts and leaves many things open, if not all, but watching their reflections is (uh, almost) worth it.

Back