Neon Genesis Evangelion

^Thanks for that little excerpt Naga, despite all my wikipedia reading on Lilith, I'd never really come across that before.

Episode 16

I like how predictable Shinji is here, he gets praised by Misato for doing something he feels is praiseworthy, because we know that he doesn't feel that killing Angels is particularly praiseworthy, and after Asuka pokes fun at him, he lets that positivity go to his head and jumps feet first into an operation he has no chances of winning.

As Hasse said, Eva likes subverting these tropes, so he fails instantly, and is taken into a Sea of Dirac, or in normal terms, it's essentially some kind of parallel universe that the angel creates, it's a pretty abstract concept because the floating thing we see is actually a shadow of the real body, which was the shadow on the ground. I guess if you thought about it in quantum terms, there might be an argument to say that the body is the parallel universe, and the shadow is some kind of wormhole, as it's through the floating orb that Shinji escapes.

I like the trippy LCL part, but it is definitely very Psych 101, but to be fair, it's the first Shinji is learning of it, and the first time we see him start to grasp the fact that the Shinji in other people's minds is just as real as the Shinji in his own mind. It's almost a parallel to what we saw with Rei in episode 14.

Jumping the gun a bit here with what we already know about the show, but the scene with Unit 01 breaking out of the Angel takes on a whole new meaning when you realise that
it's literally a mother protecting her son.

I found the scene with Misato hugging Shinji more touching than I have in previous watches, and I think it's because of Shinji's words "I just wanted to see you again".

The last scene with Ritsuko was also great, and now I remember why this has historically been one of my favourite episodes in the whole show.

15:

It has all the marks of a child reaching for adulthood, the perfume, the kiss itself, it's like wanting to go to the pub with your older siblings even though you're too young to drink because you feel that you should be taken more seriously. And that is definitely a theme with Asuka, she's achieved a hell of a lot as a young adult, she's graduated college already, and she's an Eva pilot, she feels like those achievements should make people view her as an adult, or at least more mature, yet her attitude belies that.

Yep, but it's also worthy to note that Asuka ditched a guy she found boring but had no problem picking Shinji instead. He's not irrelevant in this equation, if he was it might as well be that other guy instead. I think I already talked roughly about what I though of their relationship before and I and we'll probably be all over it by the time of EoE, but I'd still agree that it was more about Asuka struggling at her path to adulthood. I'm also sure she's also checking out if there's a connection between them, but gets disappointed. It's also worthy to note that this scene plays out again in End of Evangelion where characters do not have a privilege of hiding behind their masks. We see them for what they actually are and end result is beautiful to watch in a morbid but human kind of way.

Misato and Kaiji go for a different kind of interaction and I loved that scene between them with orchestra version of Fly me to the Moon in the background. It was sweet and I enjoyed Misato being open with herself, which once again talks why she would take in Shinji in the first place. She's not too different from him after all. This is not the last time we see her for what she is, but the main difference between them is obviously all the age and therapy Misato received, and I'm not even sure if that was mentioned yet. She's is relating to him in a lot of ways, and she struggles just as him, even though she's supposed to be the one giving guidance to the boy. I like how she's still walking the thorny walk of shame and I liked how her bare feet complemented it. Art direction in this episode is just outstanding. At the end even her pose in the bed resembles Shinji's, but her room looks chaotic in comparison. That's also one significant difference between them. While Shinji is obsessed with stability, Misato is a lot more reckless. It feels weird because vice versa is more common in all forms of families, with stable adults and messy children. I found the whole scene beautiful.

Kaiji is playing with fire as always and I always enjoyed the espionage aspect of Evangelion. I'll repeat for the third time that it fits in every time, and I love how significant exposition was delivered this way without sounding out of place even the slightest. The mood for such information was perfect and it beats having a 10 minute scene with bad guy explaining the scope of his plans in a dark room. Looking at you modern mech shows.

Scene with Rei was the ultimate conformation that she's playing a larger role in this whole Human Instrumentality Project than we imagined, if Fuyutsuki asking Gendou about her while on the subject wasn't clear enough. But the scene between her and Shinji in the elevator takes the cake this episode. We already know everything about it but I like it a lot every time and it just stands out to me.

The scene on the graveyard was a stroke of brilliance - it's a scene that shows more about the characters than we're lead to believe first time around. This was also the closest Gendo and Shinji ever will be in this show - which is not much - and I love the fact that it played out in front of the grave of the character that ties them together both thematically and plot-vise. This is also the only thing where they relate to one another, and it made it the best moment for Shinji to be more forward with his father. It results in Gendo abandoning him in a desolated place with just a silhouette of his mother in his mind and all the other nameless graves, again. There's also Rei on that plane, which gets a reaction out of Shinji and it also retells one aspect of this complex relationship. Scenery was beautiful and I loved how despite a ton of things happening, Shinji remained completely in character in his reactions. The only place where he showed spirit was graveyard and at the scene with Rei, what was still very much tied to his father. In a way this scene tells everything about their relationship and all the compliments to Anno for this kind of directing.

Scene with Asuko also got something from Shinji, and it was very well done even from his perspective as well. SDAT which represents his escapism from reality, where he finds shelter was removed just before the kiss that later on in the EoE represent the real world through interaction with humans with all the hurt and disappointment behind it. I also found that part pretty funny seeing him choke and struggle to keep up.

Scene with "Adam" was pretty great as well. It showed a lot and looked coll as all hell while doing so.

16:

This is a streak of fantastic episodes.

Self-exploration moments are one of my favorite things about Eva, and this one is my second favorite to that one in EoE. Rei's worked great as well, but this one felt especially heartfelt to me because how fragile, lost and vulnerable Shinji actually is. There's no subtlety to these, they're gritty, harsh and direct, and I think it's phenomenal direction choice because of how well it works. We really get inside of Shinji's head, we hear all of his thoughts he directs to himself and all of his thoughts about others, life, and himself. The tragedy of it is his awareness, but also harsh reality of childishness and inability to act. The people unable to empathize probably didn't get much out of this, but that's kinda given since those are probably the same people who'd tell mentally damaged people to suck it up, it's irrelevant. It's a long, long road and this little piece presents that inner struggle in a way that not many other shows or books did. I found it very human and every time I watch it I feel substance and catharsis.

Teak and Hasse already mentioned the thingy about Eva and tropes. And I also like the mindset Shinji has in battles. He fights very differently when he lacks guidance, and he is always desperate for it. That kind of mindset resulted in victories that didn't feel like one at all. But there are also battles where his inner shouenn protagonist comes to life, and I don't mind them even the slightest becase they play out in a praiseworthy way that actually has a meaning beside the usual shounen protagonist mantra. Noticeably battle with Geometry-chan, Kraken Angel and Zeruel fight that's coming up. Those are battles where Shinji is not running away and has something to accomplish. Direction is so different compared to other battles, and characters' mindsets are too. It leads the plot and the character in other direction completely and prepares them for different kind of development we see here. This time it's not really a development... more like a regression. There's highs and lows for each and every Evangelion character, and this one is definitely a step in a wrong direction. Even though it all goes wrong and Shinji's character makes a step backwards, we still get closer to him and it just add to his character as a whole.

Observing his character through this episode was pretty substantial because even the little scene as him being silly in front of the kids, which fits perfectly with the theme of the episode, makes for a great character study. Kids and moms, protecting and caring. It really resonates through the whole episode. Even with Rei who we see being perturbed and reacting defensively for a change. And we see it in Misato more then once. The last scene was pretty emotional to me as well. I thought it played out beautifully and I really liked their little exchange. It tied the episode thematically really well, even better than the Eva's violent entrance from the Angel. Asuka's comment funny as always too.

And one more significance part was Ritsuko's comment at the end that reveals that Rei is actually not aware of Evangelion's secret. We were lead to believe differently before, but having this in mind helps getting into her easier later on.

Seeing we're behind I'd say we should take a little break, I'll stop at episode 20 and then pause until Friday or smth.

17:

Watched this one few days ago and I still can't get over how adorable Rei moment was.

The main this about this focus is setting up the mood for episode 18. It's eerie as all hell and no one seems enthusiastic about the new recruit, some scenes feel so empty and other have imagery that gives it a completely forlorn feeling. Probably the best touch to the episode is scene between Kaiji and Shinji where we see Kaiji's hidden passion about watermelons. I think I might have even liked this scene more in Rebuild, because it doesn't really give an impression that Kaiji is idling with his watermelons while he knows he can not do anything about the upcoming Armageddon, Rebuild if anything, gave that scene a punch it needed. While the scene here is pretty good as well, it's not as good as their little exchange in front of vending machines.

EDIT: wow I just realized this is not that scene with watermelons and that one I talked about is in episode with Zeruel. there's two of them. sasuga naga remembering shit.

Now we know that the brain like machine with a tube is downloading Rei's personality and mind for dummy plug project we keep hearing about. I wonder how that one will turn out...

A lot of happenings around the globe. One NERV branch goes to hell, while Unit 03 appears ready. It's a great design. All evas have that unsettling feel to them, but the black one really looks like a demon.

I noticed inconsistencies with Shinji's eyes. You can't just change them to blue all of a sudden then forget to change them here. Annoooo!!!11

I also liked how Touji and Hikari got their little moment. I appreciate when a show does something for the minor characters. We saw eva showing the effects of the Angels in a lot of ways, but I also think this is a good way to give backdrop to the events. It helps to establish how Touji is having a huge decision before him and how it ties to the world around him. And the last scene with the ball - ball is life, deep symbolism tbh smh - it ties the episode really well and it gave the feel of the episode an appropriate closure.

Last edited:
18:

It could be seen from a mile ahead but Unit 03 ended up being an Angel. And whenever a show gives a minor or secondary character that much screen time you know he's going to die. But he did not, and I appreciate that as well. When people are so aware of writing tropes that they can see the twists from miles ahead, and almost all modern mech anime suffer from it, it's rare to see that someone is cognizant of those tropes like in Evangelion and decides to use the same pre-death storytelling that would make you care for his death or something, but doesn't go with it. It doesn't cut the character out of the world, because it knows that death would have to push the show in a completely different direction, and that characters would end up in a worse state. It's also a nice conclusion to his character. A guy lost a leg, as we see from the scene from the hospital, and maybe an arm, I don't remember anymore.

The whole confrontation worked pretty good. Unit 03 looks sweet as hell and seeing it move like that makes it a lot more unsettling than it usually is. I also like how we're past the period where angels were almost not a crucial part of the episode, not even threatening that much, but just a thing that happens along with the plot. Now this guy has everything that made the great Angel battles of the past great. Looks sweet as hell, makes notable damage, impacts the world in a way we can observe, and messes with the whole crew and ultimately moves character along with the plot. I also liked how his symbol is red sun, which is symbol for massacre, I think. Fitting in a lot of ways.

We see the dummy plug in action and it's a different kind of monster. It kinda fitted the mood of the fight and how it was Gnedo commanding the operation this time. They all tie together in a really gruesome fight. Shinji's reaction in everything is pretty expected, he does not care for the bigger picture and doesn't really consider it - it's a similar kind of thinking for your usual shounen protagonist. Eva is not a show that would reward that kind of thinking, and it always pains me to call Shinji shounen protag because he's far, far above it. It's his character trait to kill and run from the pain, and the only thing he's more afraid than the pain is killing that little of good he can escape into. Shinji as a character goes trough life by escaping from all the bad into that little good, and killing someone to him is equivalent of killing of that little he has going for him, in extension: it's equivalent of killing himself. I sure do hope it never gets to that...

Second episode is probably one of my favorite episodes. Zeruel-chan is cute af.

Episode 17

This is mainly build up for what happens in the next episode, however, it actually gives us a lot of information to think about, and never feels like dull or boring.

We learn that the Marduk Institute is just a dummy organisation that NERV has set up, and we see that there is some piece of info that Misato is missing called Code 707. We see that there are other NERV HQs as the second branch goes up in smoke, losing Unit 04, as a result, the first branch panics and sends Unit 03 to Japan for Gendou to look after.

As a result they need a fourth pilot, and who else other than... well we don't know for sure though it is heavily implied. Asuka's reaction was typical, she feels threatened and disgusted simultaneously, and it's understandable, Shinji has already beaten her on synch tests, so what could this newcomer do?

As Naga says, Unit 03 is pretty damn terrifying to behold all in black and red, I like that each design is unique, and Unit 03 is definitely the most demonic of all. We also see that Rei is having her personality mapped to be used for the Dummy Plug system that Gendou and Ritsuko seem so impatient to use. Let's see how that goes!

There are some great scenes here, not just in conversation like Shinji and Kaji, and even Misato and Kaji, but also Rei's blush when Shinji cleans her place, and the end scene with Touji and the basketball. They really know how to make an atmosphere with this show, the city seemed so empty this episode, and it just layers on that oppressive feeling that something very bad is going to happen.

19v2:

Man this episode is one of the best looking in the series. From the shading, animation, flow and that beautiful grain effect, everything works so well. The best thing about it is probably extra care that was put into character models and expressions. You can tell what's Shinji's feeling at every time just by his facial expression. The direction in this one is beautifully expressive.

This is also the moment where I think everything goes to hell, but feeling throughout the episode resonates with a tome about overcoming yourself, beautifully closed by Shinji's confrontation with Gendo in the same spot as in the first episode. That scene was probably my favorite from this episode, and the episode had so many beautiful moments that it's hard to compare.

Shinji has a problem with a lot of things, but seeing that a thing that finally pushes him on the edge is the fact that he does not want to be the one inflicting pain. For someone who's afraid of it and finds the idea of people hating him unbearable, not to mention that he does not hold himself in high regard either, the idea of hating himself and causing more pain himself makes him completely dedicated to stop piloting. In a way he is running away - he is able to comprehend the seriousness of the situation, and he is aware that everyone is putting their hopes into him, and he always hated that situation. We already went through his reasoning behind piloting, and his fear of abandonment. There's a looming though behind him that he is replaceable and that by stopping to pilot he will have no value as a human to anyone he's involved with, so it's even more significant that this would make him go against all of his fears and choose to abandon it. At the time he obviously had no idea that Zeruel, a.k.a hand of god, would appear and make everyone miserable, but it's relevant at the moment of the decision. He is aware of his lack of connection with his father, and now seeing his father has no intention of understand him and that he will use him as a tool played a significant part in his decision. In a way, his father's approval was the ultimate driving force behind him, and now that it lost value it's even more plausible to see him act the way he does. It also made the scene between them a lot more beautiful for me, because by the time Shinji decided to pilot, he did not seek his father as he did in the first episode, but he ended up embracing his responsibility as a pilot of Evangelion 01 since he's the only one who can do it. Everything depended on it and seeing his decisions were inconsiderate towards people depending on him he gives into it, knowing that he is at least not running away from them and his responsibility.

Scene that complemented it fantastically was the scene between him and Kaiji, the one I kinda mistook for that other one in episode 17... everything I said there should probably be applied here. Kaiji is the only one who seemingly accepted his faith and sees nothing in pretending otherwise, he knows there's nothing he can do about it, except for Shinji. He and Misato are the only one who do not blame him for his decisions, even if they are wrong, Misato gets angry and preachy but she never takes it against him - they are aware of what they are asking of him and know very well that he doesn't get much from it. They are, however, experienced with regrets of the past, and probably the best advice Kaiji could give him is to consider what he might be loosing if he will not stand for himself and what he will regret in the future. Even if Shinji died battling Zeruel his consciousness would be clearer than it would be if he let him kill everything. But it's not even about the others for Shinji, if this episode was of any significance it was because it lead Shinji to realize that he will do it for himself.

Zeruel-chan was the most badass angel of them all, I think. Popularly known as Toilet Paper Arms, he gave that feeling of absolute terror to the Angels so many lacked in the middle half. I already noted the goods about good angel battles before, and this little guy has it all as well. Unit 02 stood no chance and it's slowly getting to Asuka. Knowing that piloting Evangelion did not turn like she hoped it would, and hating the fact that Shinji had better results despite being untrained newbie makes it even worse for her. I talked what is it about her and Shinji that makes her so much afraid of him, but this moment when he finally gave up and when she finally took the spotlight as humanity's vanguard and failed miserably will impact her mentality more than any other fight. It started few fights ago, and it's piling up ever since until her inevitable moments later on. Rei didn't do any better herself, and her sacrifice did not take the angel down. We get to see her mantra again, and it's fun to think about why she thinks of herself as replaceable.

The awakening of Unit 01 was even more demonic than the dummy plug and black eva combined. We learn a lot more about the evas themselves and get to see that Evangelion is a life form that surpasses Angels themselves, and now that it has actually eaten an angel we can only assume what will happen of it next. Also, seeing it move like a savage chimp was pretty creepy every time. It behaves like an animal but sounds nothing like it. I loved the moment. I was always wanting to see Shinji kill Zeruel on its own merits, but this way has more significance in the plot and so on.

From now on it gets heavy as hell.

Episode 17:

I don't have much to add to what you guys have already written, so I shan't.
The fact that NERV has its claws in Shinji's school is pretty damn unsettling, though. It makes a certain sense to have a school in the vicinity for the kids of NERV personnel, but it's obviously used for more than just that.

Double post ahoy! I need to get some episodes out of the way before I leave town for the weekend.

Episode 18 and 19:

I watched these back to back, and they are in my top five EVA episodes. The EVA battles are great, complete with with that brutal and unnerving feel. I bet they were even more horrid back when it first aired.

We learned that yes, NERV would obviously have a whole class full of prospective pilots, even though Gendou just cares about Unit 01, and the rest are just good to have on stand-by, basically.

Touji is the fourth pilot, and he isn't exactly eager, but he basically does it for the sake of his sister, adding another motivation for us. Aida is of course super-miffed about not having been chosen, and other than Asuka, he's the only one that actually gets excited about the prospect of piloting an EVA unit. The dude obviously just wants to be special, but it's clear that it's a pretty childish notion that stems from his obsessiveness with all things pertaining to the military.

Shinji is obviously not happy about the prospect of fighting a human. It's obviously not what he signed up for, and there is a limit to how far he wants to go to please others, and hurting others is well over the line for him. It's also a far cry from the usual "let's blow up some Zakus!" attitude, and it actually makes him a more believable character than some overly jingoistic teen that can't wait to bag some Spacenoids or whatever. Yes, he's naïve and myopic, but so are the likes of Amuro.

I love the scenes Shinji have with Kaji and Misato, except for Kaji's line about an ocean dividing men and women. It always feelt too much like a cheesy noir line to me. I also love how Shinji just can't have his big comeback. He runs out of juice, and then Unit 01 leaps into action, eats the S2 engine, and subsequently breaks free from NERV's shackles, which is obviously an ominous turn of events.

My only negative comment on these two episodes is that Misato comments on Shinji's character development, which feels a bit like hand-holding, but I do believe it can sometimes be warranted in TV shows rather than books. But, like Naga wrote, Shinji quitting is really a big step for him, given how eager he is to please others. That he had enough shows just how betrayed he feels by Gendou.

Ramiel, or That Angel Who Was A Gem and All Badass and Shit

That angel, he was fucking awesome. When he got shot by that super-charged pimp ass laser gun, he was all "AAAAAAAAAAAA" and then just "BLLLEEEAAAAUUURRGHHH" and spews his blood everywhere! All along the school, the mountains, errywhere.

But he wasn't going to take that shit. This is Ramiel, translated to "Gonna fuck your ass up son" because he regenerated and patched up all the cracks, forming and shifting in an orgasmic display of animation, completed when everybody was "Oh shit, BRACE FOR IMPACT" as he pimp shifted into a star gun thing. "eeeerrrraaa- you know the sound" pew! No lasers or that kinda shit, even though the one where he was all "Wavy laser" was total boners and one of my favorite moments of 1.11 Movie, or- yeah, 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone. That was a pimp ass trailer for it too. But no laser, he was all "fuck that shit" and just threw this invisible force that fucking melts HALF A FUCKING MOUNTAIN IN A WAVE MOTION INVISIBEAM THAT IS THE BEST FUCKING CLIMAX EVER.

His defeat is another story, and another paragraph. Got some Chinese food to eat. The authentic stuff, not the cheap fast food crap.

I'll be here around.... episode 22, so when you guys are about 2 episodes from being done. Or however long this series is.

If saying what kind of an- oh, wait, it's in the trailer for it, it's totally not a spoiler!

Daily reminder that these two episodes were aired in a prime time TV slot.

Episodes 18 & 19

Possibly the best 2 episodes of the series
Episode 18 starts off pretty slowly, where we see Shinji asking some questions about Unit 04 and the US base, as well as asking who the Fourth is. And it's just perfect build up, we don't have any BG music in these scenes, and we get that isolation feeling here again, Shinji is the only one who doesn't know that Touji is piloting Unit 03, and no one has the guts to tell him.

Which makes the betrayal all that much worse. Unit 03's activation test goes south immediately, and after blowing up the test centre, an explosion Ritsuko and Misato are lucky to survive, it goes on a rampage straight through Unit 00 and Unit 02, and would power through Unit 01 too if not for Gendou's order to use the Dummy Plug.

What follows is one of the most visceral 'fights' I've ever seen in a show, topped only by Episode 19 and a few others. I always see that fucking eye burst out of it's sockets as Unit 01 caves it's head in. It's the goriest we've ever seen Eva get, but it doesn't feel like it's being used for cheap shock value, because the shock is real, the juxtaposition between what's happening outside and Shinji screaming for it to stop as he helplessly pulls the controls back and forth, and how Unit 01 goes about the destruction so methodically...

It's also a juxtaposition for the fight we see in the next episode. But before that, we get some other great scenes. Firstly, the scene with Shinji inside the Eva. He feels completely betrayed, not only by his father, but by the entirety of NERV. He was ordered to attack and potentially kill one of the only friends he's ever had in his whole life, with everyone other than him knowing who the pilot is. The Shinji we see as he quits piloting Eva is one we haven't seen before, he is determined and confident in his decision at this point, and his closing line as he leaves his father's office is great.

Then a new Angel appears, and this fucker can wreck shit like no other, he cuts off Unit 02's arms and head like it was nothing, and then after Rei tries to sacrifice herself with an N2 mine and fails, Shinji decides to get into Unit 01. Not before he has one of the best talks he'll ever get from Kaji, it's a great scene where Shinji is told that now is the time he is free to make his own choice, he can run and be safe, or he can make his own decision to fight. The set piece during this scene is amazing too, with the armless and headless Unit 02 still standing in the background as bullets and missiles fly towards the target, it's one of the contrasts that the show does so damn well.

Then there's the fight, if the last episode was shocking, this episode is more so. I was talking about contrasts in the 2 fights, and where as last time we saw Unit 01 under control of the Dummy Plug methodically butcher Unit 03, here we see a Unit 01 fuelled by Shinji's rage as he claws and grabs and does whatever he can to it, while he has power. Then when it goes berserk, we see the true animalistic side of Eva, as it regrows it's own arm using the Angels weird arm knife things, and crawls on all fours, eyes open wide, it beats it's chest and eats the Angel there and then. It's so different to how we've seen the Eva's before, even in the first Angel fight.

There are some interesting questions to think about here, why wouldn't Unit 01 let Rei or the Dummy System work for it? We've had it hinted that the Eva's have their own agenda, what could it possibly be? Does Unit 01 feel as betrayed by NERV as Shinji does? Is it more personal than that?

All in, this is one of my favourite episodes of the show, and is up there as one of my favourite in anime.

^ I read until "fight" and now I'm most likely starting from there probably possibly sometime soon.

The only thing the Rebuilds did better than the TV series was that battle.

It was absolutely gorgeous. I can honestly say that if any moment in the series was boner inducing, it was that one.

What, Thrawn is gonna finish a buddy group? It's a Mole Day miracle!

Indeed.
Also a reminder that if I recall it caused some ripples in censorship laws on what was shown after it came out.

Yeah, especially a certain scene in episode 20 caused a real stir, IIRC.

Thrawn says he joins at episode 22. We never reach episode 22.

Sasuga Thrawn, ruined another buddy group like it's business!

Gonna finish this, just so that Thrawn won't get off scot-free.

Episode 20:

I actually watched this weeks ago, and all I can clearly remember is that Shinji thinks of Gendou as his enemy, which makes sense given the events in episode 19.

Episode 21:

This is one of my favourite EVA episodes, and it's pretty crammed with content. We get a lot of backstory here (especially in the Director's Cut version), and it has some interesting moments. We finally get to see Naoko and Yui, along with younger versions of a lot of the cast. My favourites include Fuyutsuki's backstory, from his first meeting with Yui to when he actually decides to join Gehirn and be an accomplice in the cover-up.

I always found Naoko strangling Rei and then commiting suicide to be damn melodramatic, though people do kill kids for every damn "reason" imaginable in real life, and the lady clearly has severe issues with self-control and self-worth.

EDIT: I was thinking about the Trudeau administration, and along a train of thought I just remembered that there are some stuff in the episode about women in the workplace. Yui takes it for granted that she will step down if she marries, and Naoko clearly has been very hands-off as a parent (in her defence, being a single parent is damned hard). I guess the future wasn't looking very progressive to Anno, but then again, I'm pretty sure things in Japan are roughly the same 20 years after.

Last edited:
Back