My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

I got really great vibes from it after the first episode, i think this will be one of the top animes this season, and farther than that i think it might be great within the genre as a whole.

Optimism ftw!

Yeah, the first ep was promising, but I still sort of liked the second even more.

I want to be optimistic about this one, too, but to be a bit more my usual down-to-earth, skeptical self, the typical problem with this kind of show about asocial, weird teenagers is that they start off very strong, BUT they tend to spend most of their creative hilarity and character development in the first few episodes and, after that, they kind of lose steam.

To put a pretty close example, this same thing happened to me with Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the whole thing, but while the first three episodes were GREAT (well, the second and third, actually), the rest afterwards was ''only'' good. This is because most of the genuinely funny jokes were used in the beginning, as well as the important strokes of personality for Sena, Kodaka and Yozora.

Even something as lovely as Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun suffers a bit from this, as the first half (~6 eps) is considerably stronger than the second, even though in this case both reach the ''love it'' level.

So, while I'm very happy with Oregairu at the moment, I don't know if it'll be able to keep bringing up such complete, tasty episodes as this one. Comedy may be able to maintain itself, but character development is the thing that typically falters more. Admittedly, though, Hikky and Yukinoshita do show more promise than, say, Kodaka and Yozora in terms of backdrop and changes of personality.

^basically it could turn into Kotoura-san? D: starts off a little too good that it wont live up to what we expect (well not exactly like that as i have no mega high standards set for this like i did with kotoura) but it's a fair point, but hey their are always exceptions to them rules, we can hope this might just be one of the. :3

Hm, well, Tonari's second half did have a Natsume-centered episode that made my heart melt four times over... :megusta:

Nah, both halves were great, but I just digged Shizuku and Haru's relationship more in the first. Less silly turnabouts and lack of communication. =)

wow i loved that. After watching photo Kano (not to enjoyable) and moving to this sure can change ones mood.
Episode 3
Right then another great episode. I quite like how he brought that nice guy down on himself, sure he might be a nice guy at heart and really does just want to be the nice guy type (i admit he doesn't let off much bad aura) but i liked Hikki's comeback, never would i thought to do that:
"How many people did you play baseball with when you was young?"
"about 18..."
"i played alone" (well my quick summary of the talk xD)
and how he said he took everything he didn't have and not tries for the tennis court, i have to admit he is very good at playing on his alone trait, also the fact he developed skill from actually playing alone was much impressive for me. Now i said he brags about no friends before but i quite like it, he says it so the popular kids (who would usually rip him to bits for it) like its something impressive and shows he doesn't care what they have to say or nothing, he really does have some good proud moments if you ask me - as much as he claims to be alone i would love to be his friend, besides his methods out of getting to work with people was effective... i should learned from him when it came to sports at school (just instead for working alone i wanted to just skip the class :P).

So he still upholds his lonely but kind nature. One thing i liked was his trick with the wind levels in tennis, he learns quite well but in a sense also shows his appreciation for peace and quiet that his 'favourite spot' gives him, people might think it's lonely to be how he is but honestly he sure knows how to put a shine and a lonely situation.
I admit that trap was kinda cute ^^ Wonder what they think of him now... i mean it's not so easy to ignore someone who helps you out is it :)

Really did enjoy that episode though. We see how he keeps 'alone' in classes which require teamed efforts which makes his character more fun, i enjoyed that tennis match which honestly coming from me means a lot as i hate all sports especially when we are talking about watching so a good score there, i like most how he not only owned them popular crowds he also brought down mr nice guy using his alone ability to his advantage :3

so a fun episode indeed.

Just a quick quote from Bradalee:
I wonder how quickly the characters in this show are going to develop though, up to this point it's all been very natural and not at all forced. I'm especially loving Yukino and can't wait until she comes out of her shell a bit more, but i can't decide yet whether her doing so will be the trigger for Hikky to come out of his, or whether he will do it for her.
Probably will be near the end, as you said it will probably bring him out of his shell (though honestly he seems fairly nice to people so he isn't so tightly locked in) which will likely be our conclusion all but a small event maybe. I do hope it's done last of though, i admit i really like Hikki how he is now, his character is just great and i will be sad when the day comes he is to leave that amazing shell of his.

So yeah a great episode as always i look forward to next weeks.
Still ranks number 1 this season for me by far. really is great.

03:

Pretty much brilliant. Twenty minutes worth of comedy gold. Maybe the last two minutes got a bit silly at parts, but it still worked anyway, and the rest... simply great!

The animation is not that good, but see if if I give a fuck about that.
THOSE MONOLOGUES. THOSE DIALOGUES. I LOVE THEM.

Right now Hikky is undoubtedly my favorite with Yukinoshita as a close second. Loving these two, damn it!
(Yui too, but not as much as them)

Keep this coming, OreGairu, you're doing great right now.

Bradalee said:
Love this show though, might be my third favourite behind Gargantia and Shingeki. Maybe tied with Maou-Sama actually. Hmm...

It is actually my third as of now. Maou-sama still hangs in there as a very solid fourth, but the kind of comedy in this show simply resonates too much with me, and the exposition is so darn fresh!

If you guys need me I'll be around giving some ''likes'' to several characters.

:love:

It really is a helluva good show at the moment, it's pretty much an example of how a romcom harem show should be done. At least at the moment.

I need to go add Yukino and Hikky to my loved characters list too actually...

^i second this!

Huh, so I should try this out then?

probably, depends on your taste but if your into the whole romcom thing with a good male lead (for once) then yeah i say you will love it ^^

Reading the anidb comments on this show sort of makes me wanna puke.

Is this really the only anime place on the Internet that is not full of retards? I should count myself lucky then.

Huh, so I should try this out then?

I have a hunch you'll enjoy the hell out of this one.

Is this really the only anime place on the Internet that is not full of retards? I should count myself lucky then.

i have wondered the same thing.
It was the first community i joined but i joined others after and left every single one, people have their own opinions but it just seems like half of them are trolls or just plain stupid where on A-P i feel i converse with intelligent people (in general) regardless if we agree on something or not.

I have a hunch you'll enjoy the hell out of this one.

Weird, isn't it? Especially considering how you have to basically break IRL laws to get booted from here.
Though I guess it's also because A-P has "two" communities. The "main" part of the site basically has its own nearly completely separate community.
If there's any tards to be found on A-P then it's for the most part there.
Then there's forum culture. At least half of us would act like retards if the forum culture "allowed" for it.
Look no longer than the Skype chats.
:troll:
How well a community is maintained in its infancy, including standards of behavior, pretty much decides its entire future.
Tards either leave or are assimilated into the "culture".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone say "rom-com" and "good male lead" in the same sentence?
Fucking sold!

Yeah i don't get the other sites, and i mean literally all of them. People are going mad for Valvrave, Date A Live and Majestic prince, but are hating on shows like this for the pettiest of reasons.

This is honestly the only site where i feel there are enough intelligent, or at least not retarded people, to actually discuss shows with in a serious manner.

*goes un-serious* :troll:

Nah i agree though, it's why i always liked A-P, one site where people can chat or joke but really discuss things properly without trolling everything and being petty and harsh to it because it wasn't a big title to be expected.
It's nice having at least one community on the net with people you can discuss with and enjoy discussion from intelligent people who aren't so petty.
Sad thing is, i hold nothing against Date A Live (not watching the other 2 mentioned as bad luck for this example would have it xD) but given a comparison choice i would watch this any day.

It's got everything - i mean c'mon a good male lead is pretty damn rare now days that should be enough but it's a fricken rom com, it's just screaming to be some good fun. :balloon:

Yeah i don't get the other sites, and i mean literally all of them. People are going mad for Valvrave, Date A Live and Majestic prince, but are hating on shows like this for the pettiest of reasons.

This is honestly the only site where i feel there are enough intelligent, or at least not retarded people, to actually discuss shows with in a serious manner.

You're kidding, right? No way.... that can't even be possible!

What sites are you going on?
For me general conceptions are
-Valvrave Decent
-Date A Live considered good by LN readers
-Majestic Prince pretty bad
-Shingeki good but a lot of trolling goes on
-Gargantia good
and finally this show is generally considered as harmless fun with great character interaction.

So I think literally all of them is too much.

Also I'm so gonna go out and try using a tennis racket as a baseball bat.

@BrainBlow
Speaking of forum culture there's a reason I started browsing /a/. Because of the true anonymity of it, the content is really raw and people say what they really want to say without self regulating. The negative part of this would be all the shitposting but I still think it's interesting.

Finally got to watching the third episode aaaaand of course I loved it.

Enjoyed Yukino being flustered over being called a friend and seeing Zaimokuza randomly appearing everywhere. Hachiman still proves to be the best character in the show, and I really liked him finally confronting someone about "Oh your popular, well here's a quick look into what my life is like." Hope to see more of that. and of course you can't have a RomCom without a trap. Where's Wan? I'm sure he'd like to know there's a new Trap, even if they look generic.

Finally got to watching the third episode aaaaand of course I loved it.

Enjoyed Yukino being flustered over being called a friend and seeing Zaimokuza randomly appearing everywhere. Hachiman still proves to be the best character in the show, and I really liked him finally confronting someone about "Oh your popular, well here's a quick look into what my life is like." Hope to see more of that. and of course you can't have a RomCom without a trap. Where's Wan? I'm sure he'd like to know there's a new Trap, even if they look generic.

Enjoyed the episode. Yukino showed a lot of herself now and I liked it. And she's pretty cute (suits my tastes) so I like her even more. I will be watching this for she and Hiki are worth it.

Back