My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

So far I’m quite enjoying the thing where everybody likes to say that they’ve got no clue who Hikki is but at the same time they’re all dropping his quotes or talking about his mannerisms. Saki with the, “Who is he? Is he in my class?” but then follows it up with “to work is to lose” and saying that he wouldn’t understand her situation. Hikki thinks he's flying under the radar but it's obvious he's failing.

Komachi talking about how she hated coming home to an empty house and Hikki always trying to be there for her is a nice moment. It tells a lot about Hikki’s personality which of course doesn’t go unnoticed by Yukino, her reaction gave me a good chuckle.

I totally understand why you guys wanted me to watch this show. There are quite a lot of similarities with Bunny Girl Senpai. One of the biggest differences right now is that both Yukino and Hikki have their guards up at all time which makes it difficult to approach them. Should be interesting to see what happens when their walls go down.

I understand where Hikki is coming from in the last part of the episode and for the series this is a great way of cleaning the slate for the future. "I thank you for what you've done but we’re even now". If you really want to be friends then we’ll be friends for the right reason. not because you feel obligated to do so.

I’ve walked around with Hikki's feelings quite a few times. Offering someone a helping hand shouldn’t mean that they should feel obligated to repay your kindness. Sometimes it just works out that way, just say thanks and leave it at that.

Damn, this is turning into a novel too...

Week has past since the last episode and it’s clear that Yui can’t stop thinking about the whole situation with Hikki which is a good indication that she cares a lot. I was right with the whole idea that the friendship just needed a hard reset without any obligations, glad they resolved their issues.

Komachi was classy to ditch her brother and Yukino when they went present shopping but I had to facepalm over the whole ‘Lets fake a relationship for a day so you don’t look awkward while we’re shopping’ thing.

I do have to give Yukino props again for knowing her own flaws about not having any taste. Hikki was drowning Yukino in compliments even though he himself thought he was just being a realist and Yukino showed, with buying the apron, that she appreciates his compliments. I like this lowkey appriciation.

I do get the feeling that Yukino, after the misunderstanding got resolved, became aware of how Yui feels about Hikki and decided to leave the classroom as quickly as possible.

This boy is going to be in some serious trouble.

"...you're such a jerk."

CUT TO:
giphy.webp

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!
Nothing else in the show compares to this moment, for me.

Something much, much further along comes close...but this is the zenith.

Imo, season 2 is even better than the first season, it's complete perfection with the drama that it adds and character development that happens there. It pretty much does an excellent job in building on the foundations of the first season.

Last edited:
"...you're such a jerk."

CUT TO:
giphy.webp

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!
Nothing else in the show compares to this moment, for me.

Something much, much further along comes close...but this is the zenith.

The shot with Hikki's fist is quite a powerful scene, the internal struggles are real. He is hesitant and knows what will happen.

I do feel that it would have been better if there was an episode between 5 and 6 to really give you the idea how much Yui had been thinking and struggling about it all. It would have made the moment that Yui sees Hikki and Yukino hit even harder.

It's a very clever show. The hair antenna moments will always keep cracking me up too.

No team picked yet, this is a hard one.

The shot with Hikki's fist is quite a powerful scene, the internal struggles are real. He is hesitant and knows what will happen.

I do feel that it would have been better if there was an episode between 5 and 6 to really give you the idea how much Yui had been thinking and struggling about it all. It would have made the moment that Yui sees Hikki and Yukino hit even harder.

It's a very clever show. The hair antenna moments will always keep cracking me up too.

No team picked yet, this is a hard one.
You could go Team Komachi. That would be worth A LOT of Komachi Points.
The Yui/Yukino debate is a barnstormer. I look forward to you having it with yourself.

But this element is--by far--the strongest part of the series, in my opinion. And I don't think it's just a bias towards romantic tension in shows. (Yui elevates everything. I HAVE NO BIASES!) Rather, I think the Mexican standoff of the Hachiman-Yui-Yukino relationship is the most...honest aspect of the story.

But that's me. I mean, I have to biases, obviously, but still...

I honestly don't feel like this show was ever about the romance, and more about growing together, and the meaning of having genuine honest connections/friendships with other people. Because really, how often do high school relationships actually last? The show usually points out quite a bit of the time, the fleeting and sometimes shallow nature of them.

The romantic tension was still nice though, and shipping wars were fun. #TeamYui

You could go Team Komachi. That would be worth A LOT of Komachi Points.
I have a younger sister, we have an age difference of 12 years so everytime I see a brother-sister relationship in a show I've got a spoon ready to spoon my eyes out when necessary.

I've just watched episode 7 and I've actually enjoyed the whole debate on how to help Rumi. The show is really good at talking about different social perspectives and how different perspectives result in different ways of dealing with emotions. Somebody like Yui will handle the situation differently compared to Hikki and Yukino.

Putting all these personalities in a position where they have to pay attention to their surroundings and forcing them to interact was a great move by miss Shizuka. She's pretty awesome.

I was a Hayata type of guy when I grew up, the zone description was pretty accurate. I still love to people-watch with the girlfriend, get a coffee in a busy area and just watch how people interact with each other.

It's more a show about how to get along with people you don't understand and being more considerate of their situations.

I honestly don't feel like this show was ever about the romance, and more about growing together, and the meaning of having genuine honest connections/friendships with other people. Because really, how often do high school relationships actually last? The show usually points out quite a bit of the time, the fleeting and sometimes shallow nature of them.

Exactly but it's done in such a low-key manner that you're starting to take in all their little interactions and it makes you curious.

The Yui/Yukino debate is a barnstormer. I look forward to you having it with yourself.
The romantic tension was still nice though, and shipping wars were fun. #TeamYui

Relationship shows will always end up more intriguing when there are other issues to solve, it forces the main characters to give honest reactions and a much more indepth look into their personalties and thought processes. Again, the show does this really well.

Reactions between the characters have felt genuine and like I said in a previous post, it's because they are all becoming closer as friends which is resulting in them being more respective of each other feelings... which then results in feelings they struggle with.

...let me count the ways.
tenor.gif

Wait--also:
giphy.webp

I mean, between this and the mime thing, earlier...

Hotcha
Right. Back to business (...that the rest of you might care about).

I honestly don't feel like this show was ever about the romance, and more about growing together, and the meaning of having genuine honest connections/friendships with other people.
And that's the rub: their genuine connection is what's keeping them from being honest, because the change they each crave will rip their little triangle to shreds. Because to progress means each must choose to sever a tie to one side of that triangle.

So, while the story isn't about the romance (in that it is not a romance anime), the romance is what runs beneath the friendship that is the thrust of the show. It's what kept Yui around. It's what kept Hachiman around. It's what kept Yukino engaged with the world.

And it is what will ultimately destroy them. (Maybe.) Which once again highlights the thematic cohesiveness of this series: is change worth it?

(Also, unless I'm not remembering this correctly, the romance subplot is what ramps up the drama in the last few episodes of the second season, with Yui finally cowboying up and forcing everyone's hand. (And then leaving us on a cliffhanger. And then forcing me to buy the manga and light novels. (Well..."forcing.")) So that's always what stuck with me the most.)

I have a younger sister, we have an age difference of 12 years so everytime I see a brother-sister relationship in a show I've got a spoon ready to spoon my eyes out when necessary.
Wait, I didn't say to ship them. Just to jump on Team Komachi. 'Cus she's fun.

Why would you assume that I would suggest shipping, there? What are you implying???
DisastrousSecondaryAztecant-size_restricted.gif

Not now, beloved and publicly known shame of mine!

Episodes 8 was a weird watch but 9 was probably one of the better episodes in my opinion.

I like the way they handle Saika, he's a funny character even though he's just being genuine it ads a extra layer to Hikki. It actually makes Hikki feel like a human.

I didn't like how they handled the whole Rimu situation and I also didn't like how everybody just went along with it but it was a strong showing again by Hayato.

The whole Yukino and accident situation was something you could see coming from a mile away but I had kinda hoped it play out in a different way. Now it's got me thinking that Yukino requested the whole Volunteers club situation though miss Shizuka to learn more about him and to find the courage to apologize to 'm. Even if it isn't her fault, I feel it's eating away at her and now that he's seen the car she'll be quite ashamed.

Hikki was lowering his guard to the girls but you can tell that he's lost all faith in Yukino and with his guard being up towards her it's also having an impact on Yui's friendship/relationship. The feels for Yui right now though, she's trying and it seems everybody is just really eager to make her uphill fight even tougher. Curious what her mother said though, it changed the whole flow of the scene.

I'm curious on why Hikki actually wants to help restart the club? Is it because he knows they still need members or is he just that loyal? If he really wanted to quit I'm sure miss Shizuka would understand which is why I believe she knows about the whole situation.

Also I was really impressed with Yukino's Senjougahara-hair-flip. She may have gained a few points for that.

l'cough

I like the way they handle Saika,:lenny: he's a funny character even though he's just being genuine it ads a extra layer to Hikki. It actually makes Hikki feel like a human.
I am 100% 8man in that situation though, even more than all the other times he's relatable.

In all honesty I probably will end up watching season 2 again when you come around to it, so make a buddy group. Unfortunately when I watched it I was starting to come around to my phase where I didn't fully pay attention to any of the anime I watched because of so many other things getting in the way to distract me so the plot points of it have been wiped from memory. S1 though I remember very well and I agree with most of what has been said here.

One of the reasons people like SNAFU so much is it's one of the least idealistic series in anime. Instead of creating vapid melodrama and frame it as something important like some do they take each situation as exactly what it is, using hachiman to give the audience the right perspective on it. Some of these characters are so shallow and their problems aren't the deepest but that's an integral part of the show. Calling these things out and coming up with "resolutions" to them never feel disingenuous because it's been set up in a way that you know more mimics a real life situation than a fantasized one. That makes it much more engaging and entertaining for me, and I also feel that because of this no character is really out of place. They all fit somewhere on the diverse spectrum of personality and interest this show creates.

Episode 10 was pretty straight forward but I do enjoy the little chess game that's being played but not sure if I misses something.

Haruno, Yukino's sister, seems to be quite a snake but but I'm not sure if she is because she's trying to help her sister open up or if she's just really a snake. Yukino agreed with Hikki's opinion that Haruno seemed fake.

Sugami is a bit of a strange cat in the story. Obviously she joins because she wants to impress somebody but by the end of the episode she's just following what the snake sister is recommending.

So I'm not a 100% sure who Sugami is trying to impress? She was giving Yui a bit of a hard time but then didn't decline when Hayato recommended her and got a little flustered but by the end you feel she's just there to make Yukino's life a living hell. I guess the next episode will explain everything.

My whole feeling bad for Yuii has now turned into feeling bad for Yukino... but I'm not sure why Yukino first said no, wanted to call for a club break but then basically ending up doing everything by herself.

Damn social group and keeping up appearances... So glad we never had these club and festival activities at my old school.

Last edited:
Episode 11 and 12 were pretty ruthless, not going to lie.

Even though Hikki was just being his normal realistic self again but to someone else it was just straight up verbal abuse. Did she deserve it? I feel this was one of the best ways to get your message across. It was a step up from what the show had been dealing with up to that point and not surprised that Hayato felt Hikki took it too far.

You can appreciate somebody being honest with you or you can be angry with them and keep hiding behind how fake you can be, either way… that person gave you the opportunity to change. Would be cool to see a little follow up on.

So Haruno is playing games with her sister but it seems she doesn’t care how far she has to go, obviously she really wants her sister to open up so, again, you can fight it or you can acknowledge it.

The whole scene with Yukino being sick and staying home allowed her to see that her friends are concerned about her and that she’s going about things the wrong way was top notch. Yui taking the time to scold both of them was a moment that was long overdue. Hikki drinking the tea as quickly as possible made me laugh and what followed was a touching moment between 2 friends.

I’ve been saying that I’d like to see a certain type of interaction in the Bunny Girl Senpai show where the girls have a girl moment where the main protagonist is left in the dark. That interaction happened in this show and it’s probably one of the best scenes in the show.

Hikki asking Yui what happened that night was nice, it shows he’s still interested but I do think that if you’re Yui, this is the moment where you become aware that his focus is somewhere else. The ending was neat, everything is full circle now with Hikki and Yukino starting fresh too.

I kind of had this idea that Yumiko wasn’t really that bad of an apple either but it was cool to see she got her little moment in the spotlight.

Clever little arch which turned into quite an emotional roller-coaster. Going from angry with each other to working hard for each other and even though they don’t want to call each other friends, they’ve been there for each other as friends.

And you guys are saying season 2 is even better? Yikes!

Last edited:
So episode 13, lets just forget that one...

Not quite sure why they ended with an episode like that, I would have expected that somewhere in the middle of the series unless they wanted to give the viewer just a happy fun time style ending since a pretty big arch with a lot of feels had just finished.

13 episodes down, half time analysis right?

It’s actually a really great show and I enjoyed it a lot. I give this a 9 out of 10 and the reason I wouldn’t go higher is because I do feel that some issues are handled inappropriately.

The whole cast is great, not just the main characters, and a lot of love went into their development. Even those you don’t want to root for add something unique to the cast and have their moments to shine.

I also really appreciate the topics the show has handled so far, it’s very honest and the way the cast deals with it is very direct.

Hikki give me a bit of a fright early on in the series, he really reminded me of Kyousuke Kousaka from the Oreimo series. Found out later that the 2 shows do have a producer in common. I’m not into the whole little-sister and big-brother thing so I thought it was going into that direction for a second. Luckily his sister was used in the right way and homeboy remained a solid main character. His honesty is admirable and I personally do wish more people would take that approach.

Yui is an amazing character, adore her bubbly and caring personality but the way she’s written is like a character who is designed to just always come in second place. For the story it’s great because I do feel that Yukino understands that situation and has taken the role to make sure she doesn’t get hurt.

A like B, B like C, C likes B but doesn’t want to hurt A. B is not aware of A and A will take it on the chin for B and C.

I’m still a little confused about Yukino because she’s obviously a very caring person but is just really blunt in expressing herself. I really like how she’s aware of her own flaws. Obviously she walked around with the guilt of the accident but never did anything about it which is something I’ve actually been really confused about.

Was it her request to get Hikki involved in the club as a way to repay him? Did she not say anything because she was scared of spiraling him into depression? After she noticed he saw the car that hit him, she just vanished.

And her reaction during the whole Yui’s birthday scene was that they should put all the blame on the real instigator. Sure, the scene where she talked with Hikki about it was cute but did she get the closure she wanted? Is there more to come? You can never be friends with somebody like me.. right?

Also...WHO WON THIS CONTEST?!!

Other then that headache… I actually enjoyed side characters like Yumiko and Hayato. Miss Shizuka is totally badass and I’m still not sure how to feel about Haruno but the way she tries to mess with her sister is mysterious but very enjoyable.

Alright, I think I figured most of the stuff out.

Hayato actually seems to be the key to unlocking all of the mysteries! I was trying to give the dude props but he's just trying to throw his weight around.

So I'm all in on that Yukino is doing this because she feels guilty and and this is her way of apologizing, asking miss Shizuka for help. She feels she's to blame for him becoming a loner and every-time he does something that makes 'm look like a bad guy she gets more upset. Hayato gives it away when he says, "Now I kinda get why she looks out for you" but at the time I acted as surprised as Hikki was.

Also during the camp episode, Hayato is trying to help Rumi but he doesn't know how. It's important to him because he still feels guilty that he didn't help Yukino so obviously he still cares for her. Also he was still eyeing her when she's doing all the festival work.

Alright, that's it... I can start season 2 now...

Last edited:
Back