My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!

New studio, new staff, new character designs.
that's explain why the picture seem different from previous season. thanks.

ep.2 just like my prediction
when Hikki confess to megane-chan.
So it doesn't surprise me even a bit. but still, worth watching.

Ep 2

After Link and GU I don't have too much to add about this episode.

I'm in agreement that Hayato is being selfish recently, but the fact is he knows Hikki will do something even if it will end up hurting him, like it did, while Hayato gets off scott free with nobody else being the wiser. That's really what gets me upset.

I'm a bit surprised at Yukinos reaction to it though. I understand her being upset over another self-sacrifice thing Hikki did, and is afraid he will continue to do so, but like Link said, nobody really got hurt this time. I don't even think Hikki thought too much about it, which explains his surprise to Yui and Yukinos reactions. Though I guess for Hikki, that was the whole point in this development.

I can understand Yuis reaction easier though. It's clear by now she has feelings of some kind for Hikki, and everything that must have gone through her head in the few moments Hikki stepped in to save Hayatos group, I can't even imagine how she held herself together until everyone else left.

I wasn't going to think too much about it, but after reading Links post, and re-checking what the next episodes title is, I'm pretty worried myself. I'm thinking Yukino will ask Hikki to leave the club or something along those lines.

I'm glad we got to see more of his sister, even if only for the opening and closing scenes.
tumblr_nmo6p5nnoG1syeyvqo1_500.gif

.....And the feels train keeps on coming, goddamn, another tense and hard to watch episode with more interesting developments.

Episode 3:

The aftermath got about as uncomfortable and socially awkward as I feared. Throughout the episode I just felt so damn terrible because it was like a continual non-stop assault on Hachiman here and with another situation rising up where he tries to take a martyr kind of role again, the tension just rackets up further with a divide between the trio now. Yukinon.... especially looking the most concerned I've seen her ever from her usual stoic demeanour and I could genuinely feel the cracking in her voice, it was too painful and poor, poor, Yui as well trying to better the situation a little....that long stare, instantly broke my heart. :crying:

The cafe part later on though, dear lord, I was pretty pissed off. Hachi getting humiliated was just not pleasant at all and while Haruno impression wise, I've always been more of on a middle ground with, this time, I think she took her playfulness way too far getting his old crush involved. However, at the same time, I did find Hayato's line very interesting and I guess I'm still stuck in a place where I find her as usual, hard to read what her intentions exactly are. It's clear to me, she does at least seem to greatly care for Yukinon though as suggested by the way she talked about her - I'm really curious what the full story behind their relationship is.

Also, it seems like the point I made last episode about Hachiman protecting superficiality has reared it's head and it's made pretty evident I think that kind of does bother Yukinon as well in some way shape or form with those last bits of dialogue. It's honestly hard to say how I feel in particular because the situation isn't so simple but while I think people shouldn't be forced to change themselves, I can't say I believe much good that'll come out of Hachi's self destructive behaviour if he keeps chugging away like this. In that respect..I can empathize with Yukinon a lot and I would like it if he started trusting others at least somewhat more now to facilitate his growth.

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling and long story short, excited as hell to see how it'll resolve as I just know this is building up to something huge. Also, can't wait to see how Hachiman's character will develop from here too.

Ugh, I feel like I can't stop praising this show for all these subtleties in the interactions and how well it handles the drama, it's just amazing every time. Dare I say it, but I'm predicting it might turn out even better than season 1 with the way it's been going.

Last edited:
Eps. 3
in another perspective, what Yukinon did show how much she care about Hikki. She doesn't realize yet about that. That's tsundere for you.

Eps. 3
in another perspective, what Yukinon did show how much she care about Hikki. She doesn't realize yet about that. That's tsundere for you.

Tsundere? na............she'd never really acted lovey dovey towards him.......Not getting any tsundere reads, the cold way she treats him isn't typical either since it's her general personality towards most people, not just him.

ep 3, damn this is some good ish.

hard to explain what I was thinking right now, might come back later but generally it feels like this season will lead to some actual character growth across the board. For that reason I agree with GU n the notion that this season may end up better than the 1st.

Oh yeah, I remember now a point I wanted to make. a slight comparison between this and my love story. Granted this show had a far longer time to establish it's grounding but the main character's level of dense is far superior and easily acceptable in this show over the other. while the reason's are fairly similar, execution and methodically beating thee point into us is great here and generic there.

Last edited:
Episode 1 and 2:

I really like how much emotional impact this show can squeeze in. I know they're different kinds of shows, but one episode of this gets far more of a reaction out of me than something like You Lie in April. I think part of it is this show doesn't shy away from the ugly messiness that come when people interact especially in group dynamics. A show like Your Lie in April sanitizes everything to the point where it even pusses out at the end and doesn't show
Kaori's death, but instead relegates it to a letter.

Having just watched the second episode
I was really struck by the nuances in some of the character's reactions. Subtle little moments like the way Ebina's face starts to fall when the guy is stumbling through his confession. It's a moment where you see her weariness as this is a scene that's played out for her many times and she's just bracing herself to reject someone else.

Then there was Hachi's stiff shouldered walk as he did his fake confession. I think anyone awkward individual knows that walk pretty well. When you're going to do something you really don't want to do and it almost feels like you're walking to your execution.

So suffice it to say I think the new studio is doing a good job getting the character's body language to be just right and fit in with their personalities.

A lot of the first season plays out as a commentary and parody of the rom-com genre so the characters start out as broad stereotypes, but they really have grown into full blown characters. Even one joke character like Ebina gets to become an actual character. It's nice to see a show that can still include the commentary while giving the characters some depth.

With this episode the relationships between the characters grow even more complex and thorny. Everyone has their own motivations and I think it speaks to those high school years where people think they have hang on to that status quo forever. High school is really such a short and limited time, but it's also the last time people are mostly free of responsibility while still having a fair deal of agency in making their own decisions which is why I think it leaves such an impression on people even years after it is over. In this case the characters want to hold on to what they have rather than risk a dynamic that is going to be shattered in a very short time anyway, which kinda makes the episode all the more sad, especially when the characters probably realize it themselves.

I'll get to episode three a bit later.

ep3 - Wow, this is intense, and so poignant. I am ever more invested in these characters, and the story is being told with great skill. I see a lot of raves above and they're on target.
Just picking out some moments I liked ...
Every minute of the episode, Hachiman is refusing the help of those who care about him, who can see that he's hurting himself, and want only to help him make things right. It starts with his smart and caring and adorable sister, who knows something's wrong but is finally put off by his stonewalling. He is ungracious with sensei, as well.
But the reactions that hit hardest were in the club room ... Yui is forgiving to a fault, seizing on any opportunity to try to find a positive aspect - "Oh good, you're here" and "Maybe that plan will be OK." Despite the fact that she's been hurt by him, she's giving him every chance to make up and he just lets those overtures slide.

On the other hand, you could tell instantly that Yukino was more than ticked off ... I think "cold rage" is a good description. Hachiman has hurt both Yui and her, and what makes her angriest is that she can see that it wasn't necessary - he chose methods deliberately that would reinforce his isolation. I'm not sure whether her intention is to prove to him by action and intellect that there's a better way, or to set up a situation where he'll have one last chance to not be a jerk. Either way, it seems clear that she'll put her name in for SC president - that's the only way that the speech she wrote could be honest right?

I also think it might turn out that Yui runs as well, since they've all agree to act independently.... and of course Hachiman had himself in mind to bungle the candidacy speech for the girl who wants to get out of it, making himself a public villain again. This election plot could be an interesting device, but what I really care about is how Yui's forgiveness and Yukino's anger play out against Hachiman's stubborn defense.

The one small ray of hope is how forceful and clever big-sister Haruno was. She knows that Hachiman is important to Yukino, and thanks to that chance meeting with Hachiman's middle-school crush she has a good idea why he's so defensive. I'm not sure why she made sure Hayato learned that about Hachiman but I think she will use it with good intent, just as she will use Yukino's desire to exceed her to make sure Yukino runs. I also cringed at Hachiman's humilation when his former crush so callously told everyone that he had asked her out ... no wonder he hides behind his shell.

What can I say ... I love this show!

Episode 3

This episode was incredibly intense - not intense like last episode's ending, but merely the tension throughout the episode. The tension between Hachiman and Yukino was unreal - I was squealing in my seat watching the episode.

That being said, about their current situation: At first, it seemed to me that Yukino was mostly upset for Hachiman committing social suicide and taking all the blame for himself. This episode clarified much more than that, and gave more depth to all the other times that Hachiman has "fixed" the problems. His solutions are only temporary, and don't get at the root of each situation; even though he himself has stated he hates keeping up appearances, his own solutions are hypocritical against his ideals.

I need next episode. This season has been fantastic, if not better than last so far!

Episode 4:

Guys, I think you know what I'm going to say here but I'll just say it anyway:

I......LOVED IT
This was another fantastic episode. :love:

A lot of focus on Hayato and it does a superb job in further fleshing him out a bit. I never thought I'd say this but I actually couldn't help but respect him a bit here. I mean, the show pulls a serious 180 again on me and I'm left in awe over it. Of all the things Hayato does, the last thing I expected was for him to do Hachiman a favour by putting himself in those shoes and commit social suicide. Personally speaking, I thought it was a pretty neat thing to do and I find this growing complexity that's being added on to his character pretty astonishing actually. He may care a lot for his shallow status quo and be self-righteous most of the time but he's certainly proved here he's not a total ungrateful bastard at all like I originally thought. Also for the first time ever....I agreed with what he said. In fact, it was exactly what I was thinking too when he mentioned to Hikki about his self-worth because in all honesty it feels like it's about high time Hachiman realized he's not just scum and has friends around him. I don't think it was pity either as our MC put it, to me, it genuinely felt like Hayato meant every single word.

But it's not just all about Hayato this episode, the layers of each of these characters are really unraveling even more. Each having their own inner personal struggles and their motivations with trying to help Hikki out whether he likes it or not. Although, on another note, I have to mention but I think I'm starting to dislike Haruno more now, all that goading on her sister into running and her generally malicious attitude is really crippling my impression of her so far, it almost seems like some kind of vendetta, I have no idea.

However, the best and most touching moment of the episode in my opinion, had to be Yui's trip with Hikki at the end and the indirect confession. I just couldn't stop getting teary eyed there and it's like my feels exploded all at once. I think that part really shows how much she's grown/developed since the start of the series, and now she's starting to take some real agency for herself to do what she thinks is best. On an additional thought, while I do feel Yukinon is more interesting as a character, I actually appreciate Yui's straightforward honesty a little more as a person which is why I just ship the two so hard but that's just me. :laugh:

That passed by waaaaaaaay too quickly for me, gah....

Last edited:
^ Ditto.
Fully agree on the Hyato note. anyone that really didn't care on the outside looking in would never have even realized that their was a problem in Hikigaya's group.

But he's keen on it and he knows the rift was a result of his request.

I like how both yukinin and her sister takes shots at Hiki's self conscious attitude that he over credits himself on just plain awareness. I think he's lucky to have met people like that or his thought processes would have never been challenged. He's a sharp guy but he does overdo it.

Hiki's little sister dropping her cute demeanor and giving him the cold shoulder routine is breaking my heart. Hope they patch things up before long.

Man I can't help checking the progress bar over and over when I watch this show, I'm always afraid it will end.....

Episode 4

Hayama using Hikigaya's method of solving problems definitely shocked Hikigaya there; his words when he's trying to get his bike really show that he's beginning to realize that he's a hypocrite himself (he also shows this when he calls himself a liar on the rooftop on episode 2).

Perhaps my biggest question is Hayato and Haruno's actual intentions, however. Hayato mentions that he's trying to fix what he broke in the past - this is heavily implied to be Yukinoshita, but I'm not really sure on the specifics of this. I think the vagueness is intended, as even Hikigaya doesn't even seem to know what he's talking about.

Secondly is Haruno, who I am beginning to hate further. Her antagonizing of Yukinoshita was, I feel, really extreme, in Hikigaya's words. I'm not sure what she's trying to do here, and while I thought she cared for Yukinoshita at first, this just seems... evil.

A parallel that I thought was interesting is that it seems Yukinoshita is mirroring Hikigaya in his methods. Even if she's pissed at Hikigaya at the moment, she's doing almost the same thing, by becoming president even though she herself probably doesn't want to. She's doing it because she cares for Hikigaya and doesn't want to him to hurt himself again, but also because she can't think of any other better method than his, and her weak argument of "the club will be the same even if I become president" is just that - it's weak.

This situation is endearingly complex, and I love every week of it. I really hope Hikigaya can find a method where he is able to conciliate his own self-worth, along with his relationships with Yui and Yukinoshita.

That indirect confession at the end though! :love:

Episode 3/4:

Every time I watch a High School drama there’s always that nail I have to step over, and I generally consider Jap dramas so detached from reality that it gets absurd on all fronts, but Yahari is all right. Sure, it’s a show about teenagers being full of shit and being overly self-conscious about their relationships to one another, to the point where personal happiness gets neglected and all the struggle kicks in, but that’s also what I like about Yahari. In contrast to Ebina (that name tho), who believes that plastic relationships between people who are nothing alike and hang out out of necessity is justified and desirable because she finds social affirmation and functional environment necessary from her own selfish perspective and desire to feel happy, no matter how fake it may be, and then we have 8man, the man, who sees it for the toxic environment it is and is still avoiding being friends with them. It was something I wondered about in first season but these last few episodes cleared it out for me. Even after all their episodes and interaction which would justify him being a bit more friendlier with the set of minor characters, he still remains very far away, which is something I found odd but now it’s something I can appreciate a bit more.

But 8man is part of another environment where his happiness is neglected for the sake of stability. The club has gone to shit, pretty much. Yukinon and him share a mutual disdain for people pretending deceiving themselves and each other for the sake of being affirmed and liked, and it’s pretty much the foundation of their relationship. Hayama group is like the embodiment of all of it. It's a superficial relationship which works by group members ignoring their private feelings for the sake of maintaining the group. Yukino never met anyone who thinks the same way, adores that about 8man
8man betrays that mindset by stopping the confession which would break the superficiality, shocking and disappointing Yukino. Her behavior is completely justified, imho. And there's always 8man's illusion of Yukino as someone who doesn't lie, and 8man who is lying to himself, and by proxy to her. Did I ever mention that this is a show about teenagers being full of shit? Well, then I probably also said that I don’t mind it.

Yui is still on a magical losing train of suffering and pain and this little confession at the end didn’t really make me think that there’ll be something different for her at the end. We all know where all this is going. Well, I’m only assuming where this is going, but I know what kind of end would satisfy me and maybe redeem some things about this show, and I know many others which would ruin it completely. This is why I’m watching this. Besides actually caring for the characters. I actually can’t believe how upset I can get by watching teenagers not simply doing what they think is right. But that’s the magic of it, I’d reckon. Most of us are probably done with this part of our lives, and are enjoying the mindset of self-realized adults, but these toddlers still have a long way to go.

Also, I really had to pause once and think of how bonde guy is retarded. That whole: I’ll take you out with two girls you probably don’t like and are not comfortable with, who will most likely embarrass you and make your night annoying and wasteful as hell, only to confront them about it after the damage is done to repay you for being tad more competent at life than him at one point. I really hope I missed something because this took the cake as being the worst thing about this season so far.

Episode 3/4:

Also, I really had to pause once and think of how bonde guy is retarded. That whole: I’ll take you out with two girls you probably don’t like and are not comfortable with, who will most likely embarrass you and make your night annoying and wasteful as hell, only to confront them about it after the damage is done to repay you for being tad more competent at life than him at one point. I really hope I missed something because this took the cake as being the worst thing about this season so far.

I dunno, I feel like it was more than that and mainly done to prove a point to Hachiman about his own ugly methods and the impact it has. Also to get an understanding of what it's like to be in 8man's shoes. But yeah I can agree to some extent, in this case it probably wasn't the greatest way to go about it in the execution and your mileage can vary there. Although, at the same time, I feel like it wasn't really all on him with this plan and Haruno might've had a major part to play in setting this up but that's just my own collective interpretation, judging from the dialogue and Haruno's last line with her parade being rained on that he may have been dancing to her tune here.

Always nice to hear someone else's opinion and I'm glad you seem to be enjoying it at least for the moment anyway Naga. :drinking:

I dunno, I feel like it was more than that and mainly done to prove a point to Hachiman about his own ugly methods and the impact it has. Also to get an understanding of what it's like to be in 8man's shoes.

I really didn't think it was the same. As I recall he didn't want to go on their date any more than Hachiman did, and I don't know how religious Japs are over every minor relationship, but telling someone off who has no impact or connection to your daily life is hardly comparable to what 8man, who risks relationships with two of his only possible friends, and endangers his personal happiness compares to this. The most plausible way for him to understand what it's like to 8man his way through life would be to call out the group on their shit and live with the consequences of being the guy that finally did it. It's just that these poor souls don't even understand that killing useless (I daresay counterproductive) relationships is not a bad thing. I don't disagree that it wasn't his attempt tho, maybe it really is, but the point was that he wasn't as capable or thoughtout as 8man is, and that this, in a way, is everything he actually can do. I don't mind that perspective either, but I think the show could do a better job to make the thing a clearer or establish some things better so I'm not left with so many doubts about the quality of the thought behind it.

Although, at the same time, I feel like it wasn't really all on him with this plan and Haruno might've had a major part to play in setting this up but that's just my own collective interpretation, judging from the dialogue and Haruno's last line with her parade being rained on that he may have been dancing to her tune here.

Dayonee~, the sister. That's what I was thinking too, but I know/remember so little about her character that everything around her, to me, seems like an enigma, stuffed into a bannana, so it's hard to make any plausible conclusions. I'll probably return to this scene at some point if we ever get to her character's motivations more.

Always nice to hear someone else's opinion and I'm glad you seem to be enjoying it at least for the moment anyway Naga. :drinking:

Yahari is a good show. It's rarity to have a romantic comedy that thinks a bit more about its characters and themes, and actually wants to make something out of itself. So even if I were't enjoying it - but I am - I'd never think of it as a wasteful watch, compared to so. so many other romantic comedies... and there are many...

ep4 - first impressions, I'll catch up with the thread later -
I'd give myself some credit for last week, when I defended Hayato and predicted Yui would enter the SC race, but the events were very different from anything I expected.
I was stunned that Hayato
a) saw how great a sacrifice Hachiman had made
b) cared enough to go far out of his way to make amends
c) went far outside his comfort zone to try to shame Kaori and Chika as Hachiman himself might have done.

Hayato doesn't have Hachiman's insights and it looks right now as if his attempt to help was a near-total failure, and in fact put a new strain on Hachiman's relations with Yui and Yukino because it looked as if Hachiman was seeking the company of other girls (not that anyone who knew him could believe that.) Predictably, Hachiman rejects Hayato's attempts to help, the way he's spurned help from everyone.
It's hard to see what the fallout is but I'm sure we'll hear more from Kaori.
I also wonder why Hayato is able to call on Yukino's big sister for help. Usually she comes across as well-meaning, but there was something off about the way she needled Yukino about the election in front of everybody, and what did she mean "I've found out what I wanted to"?

But Yui's announcement really tugged at the heartstrings. I thought she might get into the election as a lark, but she's pushing herself because she thinks that if Yukino wins she will put her energies into the council ... because Yukino will have an excuse to let the club members drift further apart and the current rift will never be healed. I think Yui knows full well that keeping the club together doesn't mean a happy ending for her, but she'd rather have the rift healed and lose out in the end than see all three of them drift apart.
At the end of s1 I felt that Yukino and Hachiman were the OTP and I feel that's still likely (there are too many layers for me to be certain of that),, but it's impossible not to feel for Yui. There are too many best girls in this show.

Speaking of which, it was painful to see the awkwardness with Komachi at the start, when she just hands over her phone. That was bookended by her re-appearance at the end (I think that was her seen in silhouette - can't think of anyone else who'd be there.) I think she's going to break her silence and hand Hachiman a good-size piece of her mind on his behavior to start the next ep.

And there were so many little interchanges along the way - every character in this show has so much depth.
This story continues to surprise, intrigue, and delight me.

Teenagers are Full of Shit could almost be an alternate title for this show. In some ways even thought this season has gone for a more dramatic approach much like the first season it often plays like an indictment of the typical teenage high school drama. In other shows despite the characters lying to themselves and being over overly self-conscious it's only fuel for short term drama. This season especially is dealing with the consequences of those actions because they don't just hurt the individual but they also hurt the people around them. It's why I find it more acceptable here because it really does get into the consequences of characters actions and there are no quick fixes or at least there aren't any for the characters as they exist now. They're all fairly myopic and can only see things from their point of view.

More over other anime glamorize these awkward years as if the relationships made in those high school years are the most important thing in the world rather than something fragile that doesn't really last.

One of the things that struck me about episode 4 was how sad Yui's declaration was. Even as she was saying the words she already sounded defeated. She doesn't have any idea what to do and she knows her current course of action isn't going to lead anywhere good but she'd rather be doing something than nothing even if it is futile.

I wouldn't be surprised if this season ended on a complete downer note especially if there is more material to adapt future seasons. Everyone's a pretty big mess.

^That is certainly a possibility but I hope you're wrong ...
The one aspect of s1 I disliked was the deliberate lack of progress and resolution. My feeling is that since this season has started with a more serious tone and some real angst that the intention is to resolve it. Then again, if the author's high school days were anything like Hachiman's it may be a downer all the way.
I can always count on this show to surprise me with its plot developments so I'm making no bets.

I really didn't think it was the same. As I recall he didn't want to go on their date any more than Hachiman did, and I don't know how religious Japs are over every minor relationship, but telling someone off who has no impact or connection to your daily life is hardly comparable to what 8man, who risks relationships with two of his only possible friends, and endangers his personal happiness compares to this. The most plausible way for him to understand what it's like to 8man his way through life would be to call out the group on their shit and live with the consequences of being the guy that finally did it. It's just that these poor souls don't even understand that killing useless (I daresay counterproductive) relationships is not a bad thing. I don't disagree that it wasn't his attempt tho, maybe it really is, but the point was that he wasn't as capable or thoughtout as 8man is, and that this, in a way, is everything he actually can do. I don't mind that perspective either, but I think the show could do a better job to make the thing a clearer or establish some things better so I'm not left with so many doubts about the quality of the thought behind it.

Oh well I actually don't disagree with you at all there, that the merits aren't comparable.

By all means, Hayato's method was still pretty flawed in a way as 8man put it no doubt since their circumstances are obviously very different. While I may not call it really entirely good intentioned I can at least appreciate him trying to make a reasonable point and to empathize with Hachi even if it does come off as somewhat arrogant and condescending but I can see your point on thinking he's a dick haha. Although I kind of want to take a wild guess, that Haruno might've done something far, far worse, if he hadn't jumped the gun but that's totally just speculation on my part.

Anyway on an extra note, I think all these imperfections are what makes it really interesting for me though and that's all I really wanted to say. :laugh:

^That is certainly a possibility but I hope you're wrong ...
The one aspect of s1 I disliked was the deliberate lack of progress and resolution. My feeling is that since this season has started with a more serious tone and some real angst that the intention is to resolve it. Then again, if the author's high school days were anything like Hachiman's it may be a downer all the way.
I can always count on this show to surprise me with its plot developments so I'm making no bets.

While I can agree that there was a lack of resolution, I'd disagree about the progress part. In my opinion, what made the first season so great was exactly that subtle slow development with the characters since just like in real life, people don't really change their ideals and goals that quickly so really overall I found it actually pretty significant mostly.

But yeah, I think ZK's right on the money with this, I'm getting more and more doubtful this overarching complex entanglement of each character is actually going to resolve itself that easily by the end of the season.

Last edited:
^by the way it's going, if it does, the show may have turned on some bullshit elements.......

I don't see that happening........not saying it can't be done smoothly but if I had to bet, I'd assume it doesn't go well.

My high school days were similar to Hachiman's. I thought on similar wavelengths. My story didn't go well but hey, I never lived in an anime world........

Just saying, the story is speaking so powerfully to me and my past experiences it doesn't feel made up. it almost feels like an autobiography. So I don't see any upcoming bullshit invading this story like it does on almost everything else.

Back