My Hero Academia

I haven't read the manga.
But I wanted to read about a character, and then I ended up down a rabbit hole and now I came here to fret.
So spoilers? idk, I guess. Don't read this if you're like me and you read only a lil' character information but ended up with more. OR haven't read much of the manga lolololol
I am fretting quite a bit of the Quirk Destroying drug, most of it's 'blood and cells' of .... and now I've forgotten her name.
But now I'm unsettled and want to read the manga properly before I spoil more random further content of it for myself.
Kinda feeling bad for Mirio I guess??, also he reminds me of my old high school crush which makes me fret more b/c oof. That's a can of worms.
I feel a lil' like I've had the name kai for myself ruined as well. eeek

Chapter 233

I'm feeling worried about
Shigaraki right now. He's a favourite of mine. I'm curious what they will do about the injury, but it is also another parallel with him and Deku.

Chapter 279 and overall thoughts on the war arc, plus everything in between:
Its quite clear that some of the bigger superheros are going to die during this arc. The fact that Midoriya's classmates are being called in to stop that behemoth of a supervillain also shows how urgent the situation has become. And among readers, its also bringing up a plotline that's been running for quite a bit in MHA. That would be the traitor plotline. Honest to goodness though, I like it when there is a traitor/betrayal reveal point in the story, cause that usually creates a shift in the story.(Examples such as with Bleach, Berserk, Attack on Titan, and Black Clover. And also Devilman Crybaby.)

But to be perfectly honest, I feel like the traitor plotline has been really dragging in the story, cause I don't think its been brought up enough from the author. If and when they do reveal the said traitor in the story, I don't feel like I'm going to like it. On top of dealing with Kohei's pacing, the traitor plotline, Midoriya's character feeling stagnant, my experience with MHA feels soured. If there is one thing I will praise Kohei for, its for Bakugo's character moment during season 3.

So again, I feel like the war arc is the make it or break point for me. Hope to make it to the end of the arc at least.

Does Bakugo get better? Had to drop this 50 chapters in because I couldn't stand his ass. Like does he actually get much better, or slightly better?

Does Bakugo get better? Had to drop this 50 chapters in because I couldn't stand his ass. Like does he actually get much better, or slightly better?
Kohei did build up to a pretty good character moment with Bakugo during the 3rd season of the anime, or in the manga's case, chapter 118. As for Midoriya's character, I feels like he hasn't changed at all compared to Bakugo. Along with the traitor plotline not being mentioned enough from the author during the story, my patience with MHA is wearing thin.

Kohei did build up to a pretty good character moment with Bakugo during the 3rd season of the anime, or in the manga's case, chapter 118. As for Midoriya's character, I feels like he hasn't changed at all compared to Bakugo. Along with the traitor plotline not being mentioned enough from the author during the story, my patience with MHA is wearing thin.

I mean, popular shonen protagonists rarely develop a lot. Ichigo, Goku especially, Naruto. So it's kind of expected from Midoriya as well, from my perspective at least. Though I myself am pretty curious about the traitor.
I remember hearing that Kaminari could be the traitor because apparently he made the villian sign or something?
But I look up who's the traitor a day ago and still nothing after like 280 chapters (lol why did I say 350)? My patience would run thin too tbh.

The character moment Bakugo gets in 118 is ok, I guess? I mean, I'm waiting for him to apologize to Midoriya for all the terrible things he's done, like telling him to commit suicide in the first or second chapter. So seeing his inner turmoil doesn't really help his case imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, popular shonen protagonists rarely develop a lot. Ichigo, Goku especially, Naruto. So it's kind of expected from Midoriya as well, from my perspective at least. Though I myself am pretty curious about the traitor.
I remember hearing that Kaminari could be the traitor because apparently he made the villian sign or something?
But I look up who's the traitor a day ago and still nothing after like 280 chapters (lol why did I say 350)? My patience would run thin too tbh.

The character moment Bakugo gets in 118 is ok, I guess? I mean, I'm waiting for him to apologize to Midoriya for all the terrible things he's done, like telling him to commit suicide in the first or second chapter. So seeing his inner turmoil doesn't really help his case imo.
In regards to Bakugo, I want to help shed some light on the character, in ways of trying to understand the character a bit better. The same goes for Midoriya too.
But I think that brings up the problem I have with MHA, I don't think I like the characters or the pacing. I think everyone has different expectations when it comes to characters in manga/anime in general, and I feel like that's the case with me here.

In regards to Bakugo, I want to help shed some light on the character, in ways of trying to understand the character a bit better. The same goes for Midoriya too.
But I think that brings up the problem I have with MHA, I don't think I like the characters or the pacing. I think everyone has different expectations when it comes to characters in manga/anime in general, and I feel like that's the case with me here.

I watched the video on Bakugo (though admittedly on 2x speed because my bias is that much), but I still don't think he's that complex, and I still don't like him. I mean, just because you've been hyped up your whole life doesn't give you the right to bully someone trying to help you. And the guy brought up the fact that Deku is the equivalent of a disabled person in their world, just because he himself felt weak? And that just made me hate him even more. Todoroki's been through worse and isn't scum.

The guy calls Vegeta a stereotypical rival when Vegeta is literally the same as Bakugo, but better in every way. Vegeta is the progenitor of shounen rivals. He killed many people, but got his comeuppance multiple times (getting his ass beat every movie, constantly upstaged by Goku, dies twice, techincally 3 times.). Bakugo got no comeuppance whatsoever. People ignore his bullying, his wretched attitude, Uraraka knows he bullied Deku but does nothing, All Might calls him a good friend to Midoriya which makes me vomit. Just... ugh...

But I appreciate the videos. I'll watch Midoriya's right now.

As for the characters in general, I can understand why they wouldn't be very interesting. Compared to One Piece and Bleach, the side characters in MHA are kind of... generic? They're likable, definitely. But they don't really have a lot going for them from the 50 chapters I've read.

My Hero Academia
Alt title: Boku no Hero Academia

Synopsis, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

Ain't this just a fun little manga. Stumbled onto it through a random post in my Tumblr feed. Went looking, and I like it. Only read the first chapter, but what the hell. Here's a thread for it.
ok so i was looking at the comments and i realized that they were all from like 2014 and i laughed so hard because i was so confused what everyone meant by 'a few chapters in English' I was like ' isn't there like 3 seasons in English?......... am i just dumb and dont understand what's happening?

ok my fav character is Todoroki! like he's such a mood, he's depressed, powerful, has like no friends so a loner, has daddy issues and brother issues if you know what i mean... emotional and physical scarring and he thinks he's cursed 'hand destroyer.' He simply needs our cinnamon roll Deku to brighten up his life and teach him what love is, Bakugo has Kiri to straighten him out so eventually bakugo will apologize to Deku and Todoroki will be there to smile and laugh a little at Deku's over the top happy crying.

just my opinion! please don't at me if you disagree with my opinions or ships, everything i say or type is not meant in anyway to offend or belittle anyone else's opinion or feelings!

After 294 chapters its time I dropped the series:
MHA has been in its longest arc up to date(the liberation war arc), and sadly I can't see myself continuing the series any longer. I'm no stranger to long arcs, I just can't find anything to keep me going at this point.

Partly due to the art, cause honestly I feel like some of the character designs are silly to the point where I can't take them seriously. One example being Best Jeanist, he's supposed to be a mentor figure to Bakugo and yet he has a pair of jeans for a turtleneck.

He wouldn't have to fight the villains cause they would be too busy laughing at him. Maybe the point of MHA's art is to be goofy sometimes, but that's just not the type of shounen art that I like. And superheros can have really cool designs, like Spider-Man, Batman Beyond, and also Ben 10, cause who doesn't like seeing a ten year old boy turning into all of these cool alien lifeforms.

Regarding characters, there has also been a character reveal of Dabi being revealed to be Toya, the son of Endeavor. Which was foreshadowed of course, but I just didn't feel the impact as much as I should have. And I think part of the problem is how much the story jumps around. Its nice that the author is focusing on more than just one character during the story, but I wonder if maybe the author could spend more time on characters.

One example being Mirio/Lemillion, since he got back to being a superhero because Eri restored his quirk with her rewind quirk. The author explains it after the fact, and seeing how he got it back so quickly makes his sacrifice in the Overhaul arc feel less meaningful.

And one thing I can say for sure is that Midoriya still acts the same way, jumping into the fight with Shigaraki without really thinking of the consequences to himself. I get that he wants to protect the people he cares about, but you can't protect people if you're dead. Its no wonder why Bakugo had to jump in to take a serious injury for Midoriya, Naruto-style. Midoriya has all of these relationships with his teacher and also his rival, but what about the protagonist himself, where is Kohei trying to go with Midoriya?

If there is an answer to that question, then I feel too tired at this point to be waiting for it. I get that the author is trying to explore a superhero society, but I feel that the pacing of the story is not to my liking. Pacing will always feel subjective in regards to anime/manga fans and what they want out of a series.

What I do know is that I'm tired and I have no intention of starting 2021 while I'm still reading MHA. A college friend of mine originally recommended the series for me, and I think he meant well, but unfortunately I can't see MHA as anything but fun.

Hey, does anyone know what chapters are hawks past? I read the manga after finishing the anime like 9 months ago. The thing is, I'm seeing all over social media talking about hawks past. I never saw it in the manga. Could it be that i accidentally jumped it or is it a part of vigilantes?
Thanks!

Hey, does anyone know what chapters are hawks past? I read the manga after finishing the anime like 9 months ago. The thing is, I'm seeing all over social media talking about hawks past. I never saw it in the manga. Could it be that i accidentally jumped it or is it a part of vigilantes?
Thanks!
i believe, although i could be wrong about this, Hawks' past is included in chapter 299. i hope that helps! :D

The current arc is probably one of my favourites so far! hero society is finally being challenged and exposed for how corrupt and capitalised it is

i believe, although i could be wrong about this, Hawks' past is included in chapter 299. i hope that helps! :D
Yeaaah I remembered because of that chapter, but much before that I saw a Bunch of people saying: he killed somebody, he was abuse as a kid and so on. Were they just head canons? I’m so confused

My Hero Academia
Alt title: Boku no Hero Academia

Synopsis, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

Ain't this just a fun little manga. Stumbled onto it through a random post in my Tumblr feed. Went looking, and I like it. Only read the first chapter, but what the hell. Here's a thread for it.
Just so yknow goku would win a fintght

Yeaaah I remembered because of that chapter, but much before that I saw a Bunch of people saying: he killed somebody, he was abuse as a kid and so on. Were they just head canons? I’m so confused
honestly, same. From that chapter it is rather Implied he was abused but I don't know where the 'he killed someone' stuff came from. sorry

honestly, same. From that chapter it is rather Implied he was abused but I don't know where the 'he killed someone' stuff came from. sorry

@Clotilde

Aren't people talking about Hawks killing someone talking about Twice / Best Jeanist? I mean Hawks HAS killed people as an adult. Though Best Jeanist didn't Actually die, Twice did.

As a kid his father was a murderer, and I guess someone could theorize his father made him help with something, but really there's no evidence for that. Just seems like he was an abused kid who had a murderer father and he was happy to be rescued from that situation.

Back