My Hero Academia 4

EP 10: I feel like they're underselling or watering down this show in terms of art.
nqYYwIu

Kirishimaaaa! Somehow he looks ridiculous with black hair. This was a good episode, though. Seeing his motives for becoming a hero was nice. Despite his quirk being sort of plain, he managed to be one of the better characters.

I really thought Midoriya was going to be relevant again, lol. I guess he was for a few minutes.

Toga is a pretty fun character. The artists do a good job of making her look frazzled and crazy. But otherwise, I can't say I care too much about what happens among the villains except for what's going on with Eri.

I feel like I've lost track of the episode number and may have messed up last time I posted so I'm going to opt for the episode titles this time. Also, it seems like such a long time since I last watched this show.

Whose flashback is this? Kirishima or Ashido? Cause it kinda seems like the latter. You know, I feel like a lot of people gave Midoriya shit in the beginning because of his lack of a quirk and subsequent lack of control, but even Kirishima was struggling. I get the impression most people in their class haven't had such an easy time developing their quirks. So, why weren't more people trying to be supportive of Midoriya?

So at the end of the day Fat Gum is just Choji. This show wants to be Naruto so bad.

Rappa's fight club must not be a very good if he expects people to have heard of it.

Well, not much happened this episode. I'm not sure why I expected anything out of Rock Lock, but I certainly didn't expect him to fall to Toga so easily. I guess the League of Villains are at least a little strong then?

You know, I forgot Toga gets naked with her quirk, that along with her, "I'm glad I came." The author wasn't going for subtly with her. I forget she even exists, cause she looks like such a background character. But, she acts so extra every time she's involved in a battle. It's a weird combination of having practically no personality and all the personality.

Next episode Togata confronts Overhaul alone and the title is "Lemillion" in reference to Togata's dream. That is super death flaggy.

All according to keikaku.

This was a good episode nonetheless. I thought it was structured pretty good, and Mirio got some good stuff in before the inevitable happened. All-in-all he's a pretty impressive fighter. This fight was probably one of the better ones in awhile too. It definitely is building hype for the final battle with Chisaki. I was a little worried about the pacing of the episode, but MHA does a pretty good job of making use of it's time and not leaving stuff for next time.

I am looking forward to next week more though, as Midoriya is finally going to get to do some stuff, hopefully.

All according to keikaku.

This was a good episode nonetheless. I thought it was structured pretty good, and Mirio got some good stuff in before the inevitable happened. All-in-all he's a pretty impressive fighter. This fight was probably one of the better ones in awhile too. It definitely is building hype for the final battle with Chisaki. I was a little worried about the pacing of the episode, but MHA does a pretty good job of making use of it's time and not leaving stuff for next time.

I am looking forward to next week more though, as Midoriya is finally going to get to do some stuff, hopefully.
Yeah the inevitability of him being hit by one of the
blood darts was true to form, but they paced it a lot better. It would be interesting, that in his quest of saving 1 million people, all he was able to do was save 1. (I guess he has saved some with Midnight eye, right?) But still, he is just at the beginning of his career.
I wonder, as a hero, what would be more devistating. Loosing your power, or loosing your life?
I love that he fights by punching through something, or someone, then landing the hit on the other side.

!!! MY GOD !! !!
First of all Himiko is so fucking epic and the whole league of villains are so cool.
This episode just gave me goosebumps all over the place, the fight was really cool, the music was great and Mirio is really inspiring (his backstory made me emotional too). I hope Deku will get a good moment like this too!

Can't wait for more episodes ''hype intensifies'' !

I remember getting spoiled by this last year, but Lemillion's pre-Quirkless moment was so good here, making it a case of the execution overriding the spoiler for me. It was also a good moment, because it really drives in the point that Quirks in this universe are considered nothing more than extra limbs or talents for the heroes. That's what made this whole show work for me in the first place, because it's about powers and superheroes, but it's not always about those things. It's more about the little work-arounds the heroes have to make so they can avoid totally relying on their Quirk in a fight. That philosophy's since led to some really well-thought out weaknesses or counters to certain Quirks, as well as the emphasis on teamwork.

I love that Mirio put his money where his mouth was and got in some juicy serves against Chisaki, even after losing his Quirk. It also shows he's a real hero, because he could have easily broken apart then, but he didn't and forged ahead to save Eri anyway. Having Midoriya blast in at the last minute makes the moment even sweeter, cherry on top-style.

I remember getting spoiled by this last year, but Lemillion's pre-Quirkless moment was so good here, making it a case of the execution overriding the spoiler for me

At times, writers have deliberately aimed for just this sort of reaction. JMS did it frequently in Babylon 5, for instance. It's great, and it kind of changes your perception of what really is a spoiler.

That mirio episode had some of the worst animation in the whole series. It looked like one punch man s2. But no one's gonna talk about that of course.

Mirio's basically just the same character as almight with less realism. I'm not a fan.

Overhaul is pretty interesting though and his power is basically just being Edward Elric I guess.

Hope the show gets it's good animation back soon since that's one of the only great things about it.

Not nearly as much happened as I was hoping, especially considering this was the last episode until Winter 2020 Season. I was hoping to get a solid end point before moving on instead of having to wait for a resolution to this fight. Alas...

It really didn't feel like much even happened. The episode seemed to drag on for me this time. Nighteye saying he saw Midoriya die is such an impossibility that it didn't even register. I felt like us exploring his fear of his own power was just so misplaced in this episode. Now isn't the time, and this wasn't a good example. Midoriya has the most plot shield of any character in any series in the history of ever.

The main thing that was disappointing though is that Midoriya didn't really accomplish anything in this fight. He went up to 20% I guess, but barely. And even then, he basically just jumped around this whole episode. At one point it looked like his power shattered his own glove, unless that was Overhaul's doing. It was hard to tell because the fight came off really messy. I shouldn't have raised my hopes so high for this episode.

I'm fairly certain I know what Infinite 100% refers to as I saw a random panel awhile back which spoils things.

Meh.
Would have been much more emotional if Deku actually had an emotional connection to Eri or some kind of history making this moment worthwhile besides "i wanna save her uwu". Merely adding lyrics to you say run, playing it for the hundred billionth time doesn't quite cut it.

As always this show thinks that all the emotional stakes we need is "epic music and guy jumping around" to care about what's happening.

Her quirk's quite neat and the animation got better though.

I'm kinda worried. If this is a glimpse of what deku's power will end up at on his own, but the way the show handles stakes and connections between battles/tension and actual character arcs stays this juvenile, then this is a hell of a lot of wasted hype waiting to happen. I don't have much hope that the show's character writing is going to evolve at all since it hasn't from episode fucking one.

Meh.
Would have been much more emotional if Deku actually had an emotional connection to Eri or some kind of history making this moment worthwhile besides "i wanna save her uwu". Merely adding lyrics to you say run, playing it for the hundred billionth time doesn't quite cut it.

As always this show thinks that all the emotional stakes we need is "epic music and guy jumping around" to care about what's happening.

Her quirk's quite neat and the animation got better though.

I'm kinda worried. If this is a glimpse of what deku's power will end up at on his own, but the way the show handles stakes and connections between battles/tension and actual character arcs stays this juvenile, then this is a hell of a lot of wasted hype waiting to happen. I don't have much hope that the show's character writing is going to evolve at all since it hasn't from episode fucking one.

"Stakes" has become your catch phrase. It's like your favorite word. Just saying. :drinking:

"Stakes" has become your catch phrase. It's like your favorite word. Just saying. :drinking:
I just wish it was this show's favorite word. I really can't get invested in something no matter how much you say run plays along with it, if I have no reason to believe the connections between characters or why people are fighting as hard as they are.

There was absolutely no justification for how "epic" they tried to make that scene where deku is trying to save eri, because they don't fucking even know each other. These characters have NOTHING to do with each other whatsoever. They don't have a relationship. She has a better connection with Mirio for christ sake, and they've only said like seven words between each other. It's so much wasted potential.

I can at least say that I've definitely come around on this show quite a bit in terms of what I want from it and how I feel about it. During Season 2 I was convinced this would be the third or fourth best ever shounen after Assclass, One Piece, and FMA:B just because of how fantastic that one season was and how the show seemed to be progressing.

Then season 3 happened and I basically despised the show, for both regressing in quality and getting so much more insanely popular... now I'm at more of a middle ground.

I genuinely want this show to be good at this point, I WANT to enjoy it and I'm trying to have faith in it, it's just, it keeps letting me down at every turn so it's hard to be positive about it anymore. I SHOULD just accept that the Stain arc was the best the show was gonna get and let it go, but it's kinda hard to do with how much attention it gets, and the fact that it's still one of the most well-animated brightly colored anime in current existence, and I don't wanna lose that with how dull most other anime looks.

That said, this is my least favorite season so far. At least Season 3 started promising with the bakugou rescue arc then devolved into mediocrity past that, but this one has just been one consistant blegh so far. Though it hasn't annoyed me as much as the second half of s3.

At this time I'd probably rank them best to worst:
Season 2
Season 1
Season 3
Season 4

Technically there is room for 4 to rise since we're only halfway through the season but.

I have like, no hope for that. I bet the show's gonna spend the rest of the season patting itself on the back for doing the bare minimum for a shounen action arc.

Whale, whale, whale. We've hit a point where I feel like MHA has proven itself incompetent enough to not be one of the "Big 3." It's definitely below Fairy Tail.

The one positive thing I can say is that Midori looked doped as shit with 100% power.

The rest just doesn't really make sense. His attachment to Eri makes zero sense, and the ridiculous dramatic build up to them being together makes even less sense. The music doesn't help. This series seems to have stopped having any sort of direction at all. The general premise is that Midoriya is the new All Might, which, up until this point, hasn't really even been the center of attention. Even still, the main problem being that Midoriya is not the center of attention, basically ever. You can't create a series with this main character and not have him be the main character.

I am generally unimpressed with Midoriya vs Overhaul. Things just happened. Even Overhaul transforming and recovering was kind of swept under the rug. Both parties just did things and Overhaul was at the receiving end of all the damage. Even still, none of it felt impactful. For such an "epic" fight it just came off as disappointing.

At one point @SkyOnAnime and I were just bullshitting together and we missed a good couple of minutes of "back story," and yet we still had a grasp of what was happening. That's not good.

I'm beyond disappointed with this series as this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back