My Dress-Up Darling

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Zed, Apr 13, 2021.

1. RomanceOtaku

RomanceOtaku New Member

My wife and I, back when we we first started dating would do this a lot. So the scene really hit home.

DrCoeloCephalo likes this.
  2. Mayobe

Mayobe Active Member

Traditional romance. You don't see it much any more. These days everything is either too fast or too slow, and almost always too shallow. This show was really well done, and I feel like it ended in the right place, just before the "they'll never actually confess" syndrome set in.

DrCoeloCephalo and DW75 like this.
  3. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Easy 5 stars right there.

4. AldoGuardian

AldoGuardian New Member

Man, this slaps. Basically Gojo is a shounen protagonist and Kitagawa is a shoujo protagonist. So they bring the best of both worlds and the balance works spectacularly.

Also, there were some real animation nerds involved. A lot of times I was surprised by throwaway unnecessarily fluid animation. Great stuff.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of ecchi, but hats off to the way they made it part of the story. It was handled as part of (cosplaying) life and about as awkward as it should be. Not to mention, always either to develop the characters or the plot. That doesn't completely stop it from feeling gratuitous, but oh well... Sales I guess.

Pacing was nice. Characters were likeable. 10/10 Don't watch with your parents.

5. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

3 episodes to go but this is pretty good. I like how the show handles its characters and doesn't feel like another teasing anime which is what I was expecting (though I enjoyed those too). Haven't had anime teenagers this "authentically horny" since Kokoro Connect lol.

Wholesome stuff with some gorgeous facial animation and the ED is cute af.

6. Windyxii

Windyxii Active Member

It's even ranked #69

Monmaker and randomredneck like this.
  7. Sodafox

Sodafox Active Member

I liked this anime. That said, I didn't have any interest in watching it until my new boss recommended it. I would never recommend a show like this to a coworker I just met haha. Oh well. Thanks boss.

8. Xnub

Xnub Active Member

Posted by Xnub on Apr 16, 2022
    Show had some perfect scenes in it like the train or the very last eps scene, those were perfect wholesome 5/5 moments. Even overall there were no bad eps. Maybe eps 8 and 9 slowed down a bit, but were still fun to watch. It was funny as hell at times and then super sweet and wholesome at other points from start to finish. I really liked when she realizes she is in love with him and starts to act a little more shy etc. I look forward to seeing more of it in the next season.

That being said, i don't think it was perfect i can't really put my finger on why besides the side characters were kind of lame to none existent. Maybe a bit to bland, or just because i watch Fruit basket not long before this. Or was lacking romance, but just didn't feel like a 5 to me.

4.5/5

9. Sajonji

Sajonji Well-Known Member

Nice show

10. Warpuppy

Warpuppy Well-Known Member

1 episode in and so far I am loving it. Marin is the kind of character who is willing and able to express exactly what she is thinking and feeling with no hesitation. I'm actually a bit jealous of that, but I think it makes her a great character. Wakana reminds me of myself in that he engrosses himself in his own projects as life passes him by. I feel like I have a pretty good idea where this story is going, but that doesn't really make me less excited to watch it play out.

LamiaNymph and Balthasaurus like this.
  11. Warpuppy

Warpuppy Well-Known Member

Well I wasn't planning to binge watch the whole series in a day, but it just kind of happened. The passion that characters in this series conveyed when talking about their interests, be it photography, cosplay, or crafting hina dolls had me completely entranced and made the series a joy to watch. Cloverworks also really came through when it came to animation. Character expressions were extremely detailed and they also did a good job choosing background colors, images and music to fit the mood of the scene throughout the whole anime. It made every episode feel very immersive.
    I did feel like the second half of the series didn't have the tension that was part of what made the first half good. Wakana trying to juggle exams and take care of his grandfather all while the deadline to finish his first costume came closer and closer had me completely entranced, the second half of the series felt more like a slice of life than what it was trying to be. I also don't like the fact that every single one of Marin's costumes in the whole series were shown off in the OP. That greatly reduced the "what's gonna come next?" anticipation factor that I feel like the show kind of needed.

Overall I still loved it, 9 out of 10

12. Leahchu

Leahchu Well-Known Member

Here for an ABC groupwatch with Warpuppy!

An absolute bombshell of an anime! I can see why it received its praise and hype while it was airing. Beyond anything else, I adored the relationship with the two main leads. The way they were able to discuss their interests and receive positive support and energy back no matter the situation was a very healthy thing to show the audience. It also showed the beautiful idea that you don't have to enjoy the same things to be a good friend when someone discusses their passions. From the very first episode they showed Marin to be a cut above the rest, but Gojou matched her respect in the same way once they got closer. It even felt like a very believable romance, so all in all I had to give this a 5/5. The final scene made my heart ache in the sweetest way possible. I need so much more and I need it now!

Warpuppy likes this.
  13. totavo

totavo Member

So cute. It was such a good balance of the theme and the love story.

14. Kataphraktoi

Kataphraktoi Well-Known Member

Cringy and patronizing episode 1. No thanks, hard pass, dropped.