Muteking the Dancing Hero

When I noticed the news, I wanted to post here... but seems like is a mod-restricted area so had to wait (not long, swift reaction, mod).
So, where to begin: most readers will be way too young to remember, or even know, about the original. Things goes back to the golden-age of Tatsunoko Production, and it was overshadowed by its more dramatic, or perhaps "mature" cousins (Polymar, Tekkaman, Casshern) but it had a fairly enjoyable vibe and a more loose approach to narration, with more focus on comedy and funny gags rather than the gloomy atmosphere of the mentioned titles.
What can I say... I will be giving it a shot if/when it comes out, just to see if the adaptation will take into account the flow of time or it will be more a remake, rather than a reboot.

I hope the anime is as good as the poster, because that's the most 80s thing I've ever seen.

Holy fucking shit that 80s poster is the most 80s anime of the year. If the soundtrack isn't all 80s, the aesthetic 80sified and everything is more 80s than the 80s, then this show can go to hell.

I read your comments before clicking on the link and thought you were exaggerating. I'm sorry. Jesus Christ this looks like Hotline Miami: The Anime.

Reboots of old anime have always been a popular trend for a while now. And this one looks interesting so I'll wait to see what its like.

Silly, weird and very colorful. Characters was likeable and alive, I loved hearing Momonga from Overlord voice as the main villain, it fit his image perfectly in my mind. Was a refreshing watch, weirdly addicting and kept my attention the entire episode. Only question is, can they keep it fresh?

Okay, it was a bit funny and the animation was not complete dog shit. Good, finally something watchable and hopefully it will stay that way.
P.S. Drugs are bad. Seriously though, it looks like the anime creators had one hell of a drug party.
TTvawCV.png

Episode 1:
Silly. Cheesy. Weird.

I fucking love it.

This was done with a lot of love for the retro material. I can't believe this show was made with more love than most others this season already. I had to laugh out loud when the villain just yeeted the walkman into the trash. Also his flip with the jacket. Truly menacing, lol.

Also... DJ and Sarah are banging, right? Pretty sure that's what they meant?

Episode 2:
More of that cheesy goodness and more character introductions. There are some things that seem to be nods to the old anime, like that the MC liked to wear red as a child. I think I'm gonna check out the original.
So far I like all the characters. They are silly. I love the "villain" and am legitimate interested in what's the deal with some of the characters. Like the waitress and her ice soda or what is alluded to with the four kids.

The only thing that isn't exactly flashing me, ironically, is the dance sequence of Muteking. It's kinda.. meh. They should go balls to the wall nuts with it. The whole show is silly and cheesy, but the dancing scene is kinda tame and lame. I wonder if they'll mix it up and do more with it in later episodes.

Episode 3:
I love how open-minded the show is.
So, my bet is that the CEO is actually the mayor, but possessed by aliens.

Also, what town just.. leaves the job open when their mayor is missing and lets a company take over?

Also all that weird touches. Boy is so polite he let's a bee in front of him in the queue.

Aw, boy slowly grows into the role of Muteking and accepts being a hero.
Introductions are over, let's see if it can get some meat for the plot.

I hope episode 4 picks up the pace because 2 whole episodes of just... wandering around town aimlessly and tripping into the monsters and defeating while nobody (not even the bad guy) seemingly cares got... tiring.

I hope episode 4 picks up the pace because 2 whole episodes of just... wandering around town aimlessly and tripping into the monsters and defeating while nobody (not even the bad guy) seemingly cares got... tiring.
Yeah, I assume for now that this due to still being in the introduction part. I'd be kinda confused how they could create such a colorful and weird world and yet being unable to craft an at least decent story within it.
As if they'd just put all points into style and nothing else.

Back