Music Discussion Thread

Ennio Morricone has passed away. One of the most baller composers to ever have graced the film industry and some of the most kickass and emotional soundtracks no matter the movie genre. I can't even imagine loving spaghetti westerns as much as I do without his many contributions to them.

RIP you goddamn legend.

Last edited:
Ennio Morricone has passed away. One of the most baller composers to ever have graced the film industry and some of the most kickass and emotional soundtracks no matter the movie genre. I can't even imagine loving spaghetti westerns half as much as I do without his many contributions to them.

RIP you goddamn legend.

Can't say he did not live a long life till he was 91, man, I'm watching The Good the Bad and the Ugly again to honor his majesticness. R.I.P Ennio Morricone.

I'm listening to Retrowave lately. I know it's considered it a thing, I never considered it a thing for me, it's just something I enjoy listening too. It just depends on my mood to what I listen too and what I'm in the mood for. This is just some random mix someone else put together, but I like it.

Dude, retrowave itself is almost retro.
Seems like it clawed its way on to youtube about 10 years ago.
Still, it is one of my most repeat listened to styles of music. I can do work to it that does not interrupt me, and still be in a chill vibe.

Lost a legend in the Movie soundtrack world in the last week.
Ennio Morricone.
Most notably known for his Spagaghetti Western soundtracks and music that bled into Tarantino's latest movies, I became a huge fan with the intro to this movie.

This list a hell of a ride.
Much of his stuff (especially early on) was really experimental. Guitars, whistles, harmonicas, and odd twangs. Random vocal harmonies, grunts and chants. He was pretty much ahead of his time, and unique to himself all the same.
If you are a Metallica fan, for years they used Ecstacy of Gold as they strolled on to stage.

I'm listening to Retrowave lately. I know it's considered it a thing, I never considered it a thing for me, it's just something I enjoy listening too. It just depends on my mood to what I listen too and what I'm in the mood for. This is just some random mix someone else put together, but I like it.

Retrowave is nice, it is my second favorite genre after trance.
you might also check out ThePrimeThanathos for more Retrowave 1 - 2 hour mixes.

I've gotten really heavy into city pop recently. Most of it is just very soothing and fun. Especially dig Taeko Ohnuki's Sunshower. Perfect album. 5/5. Also, since Black Dresses disbanded I've been listening to a lot of each person's solo work and Ada Rook is a fucking master of the electro-industrial genre, and her newest album 2020 Knives is def one of my faves of the year. But her album Void Fantasy is so fucking good. I love it so much.

Les Rallizes Denudes is really droning cacophony at it's best and needs more respect as a band. I love it when drums and bass barely hold a song together while guitar feedback blow out my speakers. They're basically the forerunners to noise psych bands like High Rise, Mainliner and Fushitsusha in Japan and responsible for the boon in it's monstrously wild underground scene. The Velvet underground, if they were on more noise drugs. Fucking faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar out man.

Last edited:

With the personal tumultous weeks this summer that's really just a recent episode in an ongoing issue of a long friendship, this song hits like a precicion-guided intercontinental truck.

Tom Walker has a gun voice but I'm really starting to stan for how his songs impact regarding very sensitive issues.

And in general I appreciate a song expressing the virtues of expressing patience and respectful understanding towards people going through rough shit that they can't easily talk about.

Peter Green is dead.

He was part of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, co-founder of Fleetwood Mac and one of my favourite blues/rock guitarists. This guy just had the sweetest hollowed-out tone and vibrato ever, the only guitarist to give B.B. King the cold sweats in King's own words. Unfortunately Peter also battled schizophrenia and drug habits but other than people like Syd Barrett he was able to recollect himself enough to make music on and off again with his Splinter Group.

One of not many musicians I learned about through my dad who is actually a fan of the later Fleetwood Mac and only owned the Green-fronted albums because he collected FM stuff in general. I find Peter's incarnation of the band to be superior to this very day.

RIP Mr Green.

Last edited:
Crypt records has honestly so many cool punk/garage rock bands on their label, it's unbelievable:

The Chrome Cranks are really on the extreme unhinged side of the spectrum. I want to smash a glass bottle in half listening to this and start a bar fight.

Huh. The modern digital age sure gives some new ways for artists to create interesting meta narratives.
So several months ago this Japanese artist going by the name of TOPHAMHAT-KYO made a song that combined with its highly stylistic music video became quite the hit even outside Japan.
(CC has subs)

And now just recently he released a song that I find really intriguing in how it's a commentary on the artist finding such sudden success, but that one success nearly subsuming his entire artistic personality.
(CC has subs)
This is a phenomenon that many artists have struggled with throughout musical history, where almost their entire brand becomes that one hit. Some even kinda ruin their careers over it by falsely assuming the hit means they've "made it big" and have unrealistic expectations. (looking at you, Lou Bega)
It's interesting to see such a completely open discussion about it the song directly and not just some allegory for it, in the form of song. That's the sorta thing you usually see artists talking about years later, often in disappointed terms.
Though the artist writes in the pinned comment on the video that his own experience isn't actually negative as portrayed in the song and video, and that he actually enjoys it all a lot and simply exaggerates to make the theme and phenomenon more clear.
It helps that these songs are electroswing rap, which works way better than I would have imagined. I usually can't connect to Japanese rap at all.

And to be fair, while I love that first song it's not even my favorite from that artist. So I'm in with him for the long haul.

Last edited:

I'm not one to talk about thrash metal much but Sabbat is a lot of fun. They are pretty progressive for thrash metal honestly with these dynamic sounding songs. The pagan/mysticism in the lyrics is also refreshing and cool for a concept album. Most people know Andy Sneap as a prolific metal producer who's worked with bands like Judas Priest, Opeth, Megadeth etc. but he's also quite a skilled guitarist too.

Can't really say I was a fan of where the story/characters went in the Parasyte anime, but the anime has some pretty good licensed music, such as Its the Right Time. Here is the English cover by the GoldenBoys.:love:

Back