Music Discussion Thread

I slept in to Tom Waits albums for a while but quit when his gurgling started to make me jump out of bed in confusion. Pro tip: Stick to his early albums for sleeping.
This shit is blowing my mind and was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of it's time for 1969:

This is like the origins of Black metal here and bag pipes have never sounded so bad ass.

Haha, this is like some Helter Skelter shit with the mind-blowing. The days when LSD use was still encouraged and no genre was set in stone must have been such a wild time musically (though not necessarily more productive).

Last edited:

Man, El-P sure raps something beautiful. I always get so emotional when he gets in such personal moods like this.

The whole album is good. The last track, Our Pathetic Age, aka the one the album's named after, is also really sexy.

DJ Earworm's "United State of Pop" series is so odd to me.
Like how the 2009 version induces a painful sense of nostalgia in me, despite me not really liking any of the songs in it individually.
Music makes it really easy to form warped and/or selective memories of the past.

I used to jam to this so hard back when it came out. I was still in high school then, I think, or maybe just a freshman in college, so hearing all those pop songs seamed together so smoothly seemed like a really cool idea at the time.

And that's true, about old music. 90's and early 2000's RNB and pop are still really good. There's a lot more variety to pop these days, but the stuff you grew up with will always be ranked a little higher.

music-tastes.png

Meanwhile, my Spotify wrap-up also told me I was genre-fluid, even if I really only listened to hip-hop, K-hop, J-hop, dance pop, and K-pop... which are all nearly the same thing, if you think about it.

Futurama's version of santa claus will probably always be the best version of santa claus to me. Nothing says Christmas to me like fear bringing people together.

I'm partial Shintaro Kago's version from Holy Night. Dark humored murder Santa is the best.

Oh, @Gens is absolutely gonna love this. Accidental finds are always the best ones.

Damn straight, the Japanese alternative scene is the best!

-----------------
I was listening to a lot of contemporary noise rock bands yesterday and this caught my attention:

It is very rare for me to hear a female fronted band, that sounds this great in gonzo abrasiveness and nastiness. Pretty atmospheric melodies laid in too showing variation. Noise/sludge awesomeness.

Found this on youtube and this album is an unbelievably hyper-active addictive sugary assault on the senses, fucking SLAPS hard man:

This makes me feel so nostalgic about the cartoon themes of the early 2000s. Probably listened to this 3-5 times already. The coolest thing about electronic music to me, is the ability to sample from literally anything and the endless possibilities.

After watching the Wonder Woman 84 trailer the other night got me listening to one of the all time great dancehall tunes
by the way, that WW84 trailer was pretty rad.

Man, can't believe Prof was flying under my radar until a couple months ago. Even the stuff before Pookie Baby is a jam.

Back