Music Discussion Thread

My son reacted positively to this video recently so now I get to turn it on for him every day first thing when he's up. The hair and FX haven taken their toll on me already but now it's also stuck in my head constantly.

FREEZE THIS MOMENT A LITTLE BIT LONGER

So yeah, been on a Rush binge again and even started listening to their keyboard-heavy 80s stuff more. I will always be a basic hard rock bitch and prefer their 70s output more but musicianship-wise it doesn't matter, it's all so damn strong. Getting more and more frustrated about never having seen them live.

You should!! They're so fun to make, I make one every so often just to post to twitter or something what I'm currently into or discovering!

I love the new music videos they're making, Gorillaz has come such a long way as a virtual band. I really hope Studio Killers can come up the same. I know that they went viral thanks to TikTok but I don't know how much that really did them for them tbh

Think I really will, just have to think a little bit about which albums I'll put in. Didn't really know about topster, but you're right it seem like a great tool to share your current music taste!
And true, Gorillaz sure have changed over the years. But I like that, that they are always doing something new, it never gets boring that way. Never really heard of Studio Killers, thanks now I have a new artist to discover! :D

Last night I was on lunch at work listening to music when this iconic came up on my playlist.

A few years ago, @Taek asked an interesting question "where is the anger?" Given everything that's happened the last six or seven years, the anger really hasn't translated into much art. It's like the anger at the state of the world has all migrated to the internet in the form of memes and social media posts. With BLM and general distrust of the police, now seems like the perfect time for a spiritual successor to an anthem like Fuck the Police.

Interesting, never really thought about that, but you're right. At least it seems like the anger is far less noticeable. Or it has something to do with the sheer amount of content that is produced, so it just gets lost in the shuffle.

Very nice, kinda want to make a topster now too. I see you like Gorillaz which is cool!
Speaking of which, their latest song is really catchy! Plus the CG-animation has become so good (that thumbnail though xD)!

Can't say I love every single song that comes out from them these days, but then they always release a banger like this one. Totally haven't been listening to it for 3 straight hours on repeat, no sir. I love the video, too.

On a big Riot grrrl band kick as of late as I'm angry about a lot of things right now and Petrol Girls stands out as one of the best new ones to me:

People can call it cringe or whatever, but there isn't anything cringe about protesting for human rights and fighting for equality to me and that's really needed more than ever at the moment. This is fucking great.

Last edited:
Can't say I love every single song that comes out from them these days, but then they always release a banger like this one. Totally haven't been listening to it for 3 straight hours on repeat, no sir. I love the video, too.

Have to agree on that. They'll probably always have a special place in my heart, since they were on of the first bands I was ever a fan of, but I don't love everything they release. I ended up really disappointed with some of their more recent albums (Humanz in particular). Then again, since they dabble in so many different styles I think it is only natural that there'll be stuff one doesn't end up enjoying. Still love it though, that Damon Albarn (the main musician behind Gorillaz) just does whatever he feels like without being bound to any genre. It never really gets boring that way.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Last edited:
Yet another One Piece Film Red song with Ado's great singing is good, but this one surprised me.
It feelt eerily familiar at first, so I rushed to the credits to confirm my gut instinct. And indeed, it's by the band FAKE-TYPE, the band of the singer TOPHAMHAT-KYO!

Their style is very distinct.

mqCBXqI.jpg
So I actually managed to put a Topster together. Not really a Top 40, more like a mix of thing I've been listening to for years and other things I just like at the moment. My main take from it is that I should probably listen to more modern music ( ̄▽ ̄*)ゞ

RIP Olivia Newton-John. You were an icon, but you also made one of the most confusingly horny music videos from the 80s.

Don't you hate it when you whip a bunch of fat guys into shape so you can drool over them, but then they all turn out to be gay for each other?

the fact that BLACKPINK came out with a banger only to ruin it with the most inane chorus i have heard to date is seriously Pissing. Me. Off!

just why man, goddammit?!

and the fact that i can't quite explain why i dislike the chorus so much makes it all the more annoying

I have the feeling sometimes. I ignore it and then listen to Judas Priest.

Haha, that is a good choice though!
Maybe it's just me, but I noticed these days I tend to listen to more single songs that I find and add them to playlists. Compared to years ago, I hardly listen to full albums and have far less patience - if I don't like it right away I just move on. Before, when you still had to buy CDs, I stuck more with it and then certain albums really started growing on me. Kinda want to get back to that, but it's harder when everything is a readily available as it is today.

I feel so dumb for not realizing till now, that the South Park theme song is done by Primus. How the fuck did I not know that lol...................

Hey, it only took you 25 years :D

Did you see the anniversary show though? Loved it when Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson joined Primus on stage for Closer to the Heart, really cool.

Since I'm talking Rush anyway and listen to them regularly again I just gotta say man, their 80s stuff after Moving Pictures kinda rules now.

Took me years to really get into that phase of the band but it's awesome and rewarding. By the time you reach Hold Your Fire you're kinda burned out on the synths and production but it's still great music all the same.

Back