• Reefer Madness (lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friday

• Saving Grace

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just got back from Bohemian Rhapsody and I don't know what was worse - the editing, the cliché dialogues, the twisting/hiding of events or just how nice, conflict-less, clean, and perfect everything and everyone were, except for that one eeeeeeevil gay guy. At least Rami Malek didn't disappoint, and the Life Aid was awesome.
I mean, from what I heard the movie pretty much created conflicts that didn't happen at all in reality for the sake of spectacularity and drama, so I'm not sure if I would hold the bolded against it. Other than that, and its inaccuracies aside, I liked it, it was a by-the-numbers Hollywood-esque biopic with a structure I've seen like a hundred times, but it took good advantage of the music theme and the creative process behind.

I Sell The Dead:

A pretty quirky off-beat period horror comedy, honestly this reminds me a lot of shit like Monty Python sketch absurdity, which is great. The film's obviously low budget, but I think it actually manages to make the most of it's shortcomings with a pretty fantastic charming cast that bounces off each other really well. It pretty much goes for an episodic vignette sort of approach, and I dunno, it worked really well for me at least.

7/10 - Fun times with these grave robbers. It wasn't super laugh out loud funny, but it was a really easy watch for me overall.

---------
The Voices

S'alright, I was really surprised and impressed by Ryan Reynold's performance in this and it was weird seeing him not being dead pool. His performance is really the most stellar thing about the movie and character.

6/10

Last edited:

I don't think I've watched any Turkish horror movies. Looks pretty intriguing and messed up though.

The film is gory as hell, but it's more than just a splatterfest. The acting is solid, the atmosphere is surreal and pace is a nice slowburn that lets the tension build. The plot is weak and doesn't totally make sense in some spots, but the surreal feeling does excuse some of the dream logic. It's worth a watch.

The film is gory as hell, but it's more than just a splatterfest. The acting is solid, the atmosphere is surreal and pace is a nice slowburn that lets the tension build. The plot is weak and doesn't totally make sense in some spots, but the surreal feeling does excuse some of the dream logic. It's worth a watch.

That is all I needed to hear bro, sometimes all I need is just great atmosphere to satisfy me even if there isn't much substance.

I mean, from what I heard the movie pretty much created conflicts that didn't happen at all in reality for the sake of spectacularity and drama, so I'm not sure if I would hold the bolded against it. Other than that, and its inaccuracies aside, I liked it, it was a by-the-numbers Hollywood-esque biopic with a structure I've seen like a hundred times, but it took good advantage of the music theme and the creative process behind.

That's true. Freddie's decision to break free (HAHA) from the band wasn't as disastrous as the movie made it look. He wasn't even the first guy in the group to release his solo work, so milking that plot point for conflict's sake was really bizarre, considering Brian May & Roger Taylor had a hand in the movie's production. The only thing I liked about the movie was the influence it's had on a whole new generation of viewers. A lot of younger people are checking out Queen's work thanks to the movie, and I think it's great.

Into The Spiderverse

I kid you not, I was gonna skip this until I heard Nic Cage was in it. So glad that largely superfluous addition convinced me. Cause that movie RULED. Like the thing that was keeping me away, the animation and design, was awesome. It was like a comic book planted right on the screen.
God, the Stan Lee cameo hit me right in the gut. I mean his first line was "I'm gonna miss him". Oh, that hurt.
Jake Johnson surprised me. I don't think he's done much voice acting, but he perfectly played schlubby Peter Parker. And Leiv Schriber. I didn't even know that was him til I read the credits. Big surprise was The Prowler. I wish he wasn't just a henchman, cause he made me jump a few times. Scary dude.
And the after credits gag. Spider Man 2099 meeting 60's Spider Man. I died.

Anyway, killer movie.

Oh man, I need to watch this movie right fucking now:

This shit looks TERRIBLE. Had no idea who Andy Sidaris was until 5 minutes ago but all his movies look like the cheaper and sleazier version of 80s Cannon action films (that's saying something). Guess I have to watch them all.

Eyes of My Mother :

Genuinely pretty great slow-burn artsy fartsy stuff about dealing with loneliness. The film quite honestly does a great job getting me to understand why the protagonist did the monstrous things she did. There's a huge difference to me, between sympathy and empathy. My favorite kind of stories are ones with characters where their actions are so ungodly horrible, but you can at least empathize with them to a certain degree, which is pretty horrifying in it of itself to think about. Her outward seeming innocence honestly makes it all the more terrifying to watch and that much more effective The film's black and white style, and how it's shot is also beautiful.

This is damn good horror minimalism. Arthouse movies can be pretty hit or miss for me, but the macabre atmosphere and what it was getting across thoroughly drew me in.

7/10

Eyes of My Mother :

Genuinely pretty great slow-burn artsy fartsy stuff about dealing with loneliness. The film quite honestly does a great job getting me to understand why the protagonist did the monstrous things she did. There's a huge difference to me, between sympathy and empathy. My favorite kind of stories are ones with characters where their actions are so ungodly horrible, but you can at least empathize with them to a certain degree, which is pretty horrifying in it of itself to think about. Her outward seeming innocence honestly makes it all the more terrifying to watch and that much more effective The film's black and white style, and how it's shot is also beautiful.

This is damn good horror minimalism. Arthouse movies can be pretty hit or miss for me, but the macabre atmosphere and what it was getting across thoroughly drew me in.

7/10

She and Hannibal should form a lonely cannibal hearts club.

This shit looks TERRIBLE. Had no idea who Andy Sidaris was until 5 minutes ago but all his movies look like the cheaper and sleazier version of 80s Cannon action films (that's saying something). Guess I have to watch them all.

I have a feeling that Hard Ticket to Hawaii would be a good time for you with the proper herb and some friends.
Hey, I'm going to murder this guy, but I'm still suave enough to compliment your great ass.

I'd also recommend Godfried Ho.

I've seen Picasso Trigger and Savage Beach. Both are pretty cheesy 80s action flicks but not on the level of something like Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

giphy.gif

That build-up and payoff, amazing. Also you're a good man for recommending this as a stoner experience.

Too bad most of these movies are only fun when you view their best scenes out of context. Already preparing myself for the worst because the movie is on its way atm. I actually wanted to watch some Shaw Brothers kung fu shit today to brush up my Wu-Tang lyrics but I guess plan's changed.
I've seen Picasso Trigger and Savage Beach. Both are pretty cheesy 80s action flicks but not on the level of something like Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

I have my eye on Savage Beach as well if merely because of the rad movie poster. Looks like the guy employs many Playboy and Penthouse girls for his movies so I get the best of both worlds here, 80s machoism and blonde big-titted bimbos. Getting just a bit of a Russ Meyer vibe here, hopefully the focus is more on action and dumb dialogue than on the Playmates.

ok watched 2 movies this week

READY PLAYER ONE
amazing CGI work (i presume its CGI anyway)
I just wonder why it is they still cant get CGI to work properly for human faces (I'm thinking of princess hamster///i mean Princess Leia in rogue one) tho this film did an excellent job and it was not jarring at all but then again they were not trying to mix real world and CGI like what is required to resurrect dead actors.
anyway really good film, fun watch and that's basically the highest tribute for any movie IMO

ok now for difficult one
SOLO a star wars story
I actually really enjoyed it but only because I recently came to draw a line between Disney star wars and George star wars and say the 2 are totally separate and despite what Disney says it DOES NOT continue from George Lucas star wars
so basically the luke we see in the last Jedi is not the same luke we saw in the OT.
now that I have made that distinction I am able to enjoy it again.

also, there is a rumour in the fan community that the reason Disney has been doing the origin storeys is so that they can recast luke Han Leia and Lando get ppl used to the new faces and then remake the OT
I personally think its a very plausible rumour tho I expect that due to fan backlash they will slow up on the process

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wonder why it is they still cant get CGI to work properly for human faces
Honestly, it's mostly because faces are so important to us as human beings. It's the primary way we recognize each other, communicate with each other (not just verbally, but all those minute little facial gestures too), and one of our most vulnerable areas, so we spend more time focusing on faces than anything else. If there's even the tiniest, tiniest detail that's not perfectly true to life in a face, our brains will pick up on it and know something isn't right even before we've figured out what it is. Hollywood has come an incredible, and in some ways terrifying, distance toward rendering photo-realistic anything and everything in CGI, but a human face will always be the toughest challenge there is in that field.

I suppose The Handmaiden isn't exactly a movie one should watch on the train in public? Asking for a friend.
If it has tiddies, don't watch it in public.

I'm sure The Handmaiden has some sort of nudity as it's on cable, late night but I've never seen it. But I was thinking of the show and not the Korean erotic thriller. Feel free to watch it on your free-speech trains!

Back