• Reefer Madness (lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friday

• Saving Grace

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, but Brando and Kinski were completely insane. That's what made them fun. Day-Lewis isn't insane. He's just a jerk.

...Still can't believe Werner "My voice has one inflection" Herzog was friends with Kinski. Talk about an odd couple.

Ever watched My Best Fiend? It's a documentary about their (working) relationship and you get to see some cool behind-the-scenes stuff and many outtakes with Kinski berating everyone on set (Fitzcarraldo for example).

Funnily that movie also features one of the nicest Kinski outtakes ever: Him playing with a butterfly.

Ever watched My Best Fiend? It's a documentary about their (working) relationship and you get to see some cool behind-the-scenes stuff and many outtakes with Kinski berating everyone on set (Fitzcarraldo for example).
No, but I've been meaning to for a while now.

Funnily that movie also features one of the nicest Kinski outtakes ever: Him playing with a butterfly.

...I think that's the first time I've ever heard Herzog actually speaking German. I've only ever seen him on American TV, and he spoke English. Weird.

Last edited:
With all this hoopla over that Buster Scruggs movie, I yet again feel like the only guy who just doesn't like Coen Brothers movies. Didn't like Fargo, didn't like The Big Lebowski, didn't like The Ladykillers, didn't like O Brother Where Art Thou, didn't like Hail Caesar...just don't like them.

I really need to go back to a time when terms like "oscar bait" didn't exist for me yet and I could enjoy films without the immediate skepticism and cynism. Is becoming a movie cynic really the only way to go when you get older and enjoy movies? @ZetsubouKaiji tell me about it.

It's the curse of being a fan of anything. The more you watch and read about a subject the more you see all the shitty parts and flaws. It's still loving the medium despite complaining about it most of the time that's the true sign of having a passion for it.

You Might Be the Killer

This was surprisingly entertaining for a movie based off some viral Tweets. It's a love letter to the slasher genre with a ton of meta parody. It drags in the middle, but it leads to a strong conclusion that comments on the conventions of the genre as a whole. It's no Cabin in the Woods, but it's a good time for fans of cheesy 80s slashers. 6 out of 10

I honestly can't think of any horror comedy in this modern decade that I enjoyed as much as Cabin in the woods. And it's probably going to stay that way for a long time considering how dire standards for horror are, much less horror comedy.

I'd put Get Out right up there with it.

Then there's this quirky gem
Although I guess that's way more on the comedy side.

Then there's this quirky gem
Although I guess that's way more on the comedy side.

It's pretty bad when a full-on parody treats vampire mythology with more dignity than most of the "real" vampire films of this decade. And yeah, bring back good horror comedy! I'm certainly not counting on the Beetlejuice sequel to do it (is it even still being made?).

It's pretty bad when a full-on parody treats vampire mythology with more dignity than most of the "real" vampire films of this decade. And yeah, bring back good horror comedy! I'm certainly not counting on the Beetlejuice sequel to do it (is it even still being made?).
Are you saying Twilight didn't do vampires justice, when they should sparkle in the sunlight and jump from trees to trees like some ol' Tarzan shit a spider monkey? Or do other vampirey things?

I agree with you about bringing back good horror comedy, hell, even good vampire movies! And as for Beetlejuice sequel, let's just hope that Tim Burton will stay true to such a work!

Are you saying Twilight didn't do vampires justice, when they should sparkle in the sunlight and jump from trees to trees like some ol' Tarzan shit a spider monkey? Or do other vampirey things?

I wouldn't know since I only had to suffer through Breaking Dawn Part 1 and that one was about Edward impregnating Bella and then everybody wanting her to get an abortion and shit. Yay?
I agree with you about bringing back good horror comedy, hell, even good vampire movies! And as for Beetlejuice sequel, let's just hope that Tim Burton will stay true to such a work!

Dunno if I talked about this with you or ZK but Anne Rice is making a TV series out of her books. That sounds promising at least. Tim Burton hasn't made anything good in years unfortunately and even his gothic trademark style has long turned into a gimmick and parody of itself. Not sure if Keaton's magic would be enough here.

I wouldn't know since I only had to suffer through Breaking Dawn Part 1 and that one was about Edward impregnating Bella and then everybody wanting her to get an abortion and shit. Yay?

Dunno if I talked about this with you or ZK but Anne Rice is making a TV series out of her books. That sounds promising at least. Tim Burton hasn't made anything good in years unfortunately and even his gothic trademark style has long turned into a gimmick and parody of itself. Not sure if Keaton's magic would be enough here.
Man, you must be a diehard because you watched more Twilight than me, and I watched all the honest trailers for it and the Simpsons parody.

Would one episode be dedicated to that one massive speech, where it's just that one guy talking?

It was me with the Anne Rice series and I just cannot wait!

Rampage (2018)
Look, no one was expecting this to be a masterpiece of cinema. As a big spectacle turn-your-brain-off action movie though, it was fun as hell to watch.

Jeffery Dean Morgan was basically one nutsack joke away from being Negan in a suit.

Now I kinda want to go play the game again... so many memories of mass destruction.

The House that Jack Built

Well, Lars Von Trier I'll give you one thing that was the most pretentious film I've seen this year. It's a self indulgent and ugly film that sniffs its farts for an ass numbing two and half hours.

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Von Trier is actually having a bit of fun with this film. It's a meta commentary on Von Trier's creative process and how he sees creating art as an act of brutality that he's forever trying to perfect. The whole thing plays out as a disturbing and often mean dark comedy where serial killer Jack's pretentious musing on art are juxtaposed with his bumbling murders. Make no mistake about it Jack is supposed to be a stand in for Von Trier himself and the brutal murders are Von Trier's movies. Just in case this isn't clear from the way Jack carefully orders his victims around and poses them to create the images he wants there's an entire montage of footage from Von Trier's other films that plays over a monologue by Jack about true art coming from destruction.

Not to say that Von Trier doesn't provide a counter point to Jack. The framing device for the film is that Jack is in hell and having a conversation with the poet Virgil while walking through the nine circles of hell. During these conversations Virgil argues that art comes from love and that Jack's acts of brutality are actually quite banal. Every time Jack launches into some high minded speech framing his murders as some form of high art Virgil just sighs and calls him out on his bullshit. Virgil is Von Trier's own doubts about his work. The voice of all the critics that have accused him of being a misogynistic provocateur that mistakes the mere act of transgression for true art.

Overall, I can't really recommend this film to anyone that's not already familiar with Von Trier's other work and even then you have to be prepared to slog your way through a lot of unpleasant violence. Matt Dillon gives a chilling performance as Jack and probably deserves some kind of an award. I enjoyed my time with the film even if I was completely ready for it to be over by the end. 6 out of 10

Just got back from Bohemian Rhapsody and I don't know what was worse - the editing, the cliché dialogues, the twisting/hiding of events or just how nice, conflict-less, clean, and perfect everything and everyone were, except for that one eeeeeeevil gay guy. At least Rami Malek didn't disappoint, and the Life Aid was awesome.

Possum

This was like a lighter weight version of the Babadook. This film takes on some fairly heavy themes of abuse and childhood drama, but most of it isn't revealed until late in the film leaving the actual themes feeling bare bones. The Babadook did a better job of developing its central character and it's clear early on what the exact nature of her trauma was. In Possum it's mostly Philip staring moodily at things and looking like the world's most depressed man. It's not always easy to empathize with Philip because we never learn much about him until the end.

The special effects work is good and the spider puppet's design is creepy as hell. The soundtrack is sparse, but helps to build atmosphere when paired with the subtle use of effects. The movie is pensive and depressing throughout with enough creepiness thrown in to lend a sense of dread. Like a lot of good British horror the atmosphere here is oppressive and clammy.

Overall, if you can't get into the creepy atmosphere then the weak story is going to leave you bored. If you want something that is more about mood and emotion than concrete storytelling then this is worth checking out. 6 out of 10

Back