• Reefer Madness (lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friday

• Saving Grace

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Move over Rocky there's a new montage king in town. Can't believe they put a training montage in Halloween Ends.

===========================

The Keep doesn't make any sense because the production was such a mess. The film went way over budget, then the studio refused to keep paying to have more footage shot so the version of the film we got is incomplete. It doesn't help that the special effects artist died during post production and Mann had to try to figure out special effects shots on his own because the studio wasn't paying to get someone new.

Just going to assume you confused one awesome German for another. Maybe no Udo, but Jürgen Prochnow is cool too.

The ending to The Descent is one of the reasons I hate the sequel with such a passion. It's an inferior film already, but the fact that it retcons the ending of the first film to even exist annoys the crap out of me. So I just pretend it doesn't exist.

Smile

Knowing last night was going to be a stressful night at work, I decided to stop in to see a film. All the marketing for Smile made it look like a shitty Blumhouse style boo scare fest. The kind of movie the studios fart out in January hoping to make a few bucks while there isn't much else playing in theaters. So color me impressed when I left the theater knowing the film will definitely end up in my top ten horror movies for the year. Depending on what else comes out, it's more likely going to be top 5.

The film is a well put together mid-budget flick. It's the kind of movie that I wish would get made more often. The effects are good, the cast is good, the lead played by Sosie Bacon is flipping fantastic, the movie has a distinctive look and there's a lot of meaty subtext to chew on. There are jump scares, but I thought they were built up well and had payoff. The smile gimmick is used with effective creepiness.

Smile is pretty much It Follows, but the STD allegory is replaced with a story about personal trauma. The monster here latches on to people and then feeds on their trauma before moving on to their next victim. I think the film does a great job of fleshing out the main character and giving her a backstory that explains she is trying to help others as a therapist to avoid dealing with her past. The movie opens with her mother committing suicide after a long battle with mental illness. She was a child when this happened and it's clear she never dealt with it.

In general the movie has a message about taking care of your mental health before it comes back to bite you. Unfortunately, we kind of suck at dealing with it. Both the trauma sufferers and those closest to them have trouble working through situations where the problem isn't something tangible and there aren't concrete fixes. I do think the movie is flawed in how quickly her family writes her off as crazy and beyond help. However, she was engaged to A-Train from The Boys so ya know.

The other knock I have on the movie is a personal thing, but I kind of wish the monster hadn't started talking in the end. It was an eerie presence. It talking takes away a bit from its menace.

Overall though, a damn good film. I am happy I saw this in a theater.

Don't Worry Darling
Talk about a twist ruining things. I was into it for a while. The whole "Clearly fake 1950s suburbia" psychological horror thing had me interested...and then you hit the twist where
it's a computer simulation run by incels.
Like there were so many interesting ways this could have gone, and they defaulted to
a computer simulation.
The entire room (Just me and about 6 other people) just all audibly sighed when it hit that part.

Not worth the time.
----
Most interesting thing about that movie was the trailer for the new Shyamalan movie.
Normally I just ignore his movies, but I might see this to see Batista in what looks like a pretty different role from his normal fare.

Last edited:
So apparently the new Terrifier sequel is two and half hours long. It may well end up being one of the bloodiest slasher flicks ever. I start to wonder if there is going to be a plot this time. The first movie really is just Art the Clown murdering anyone he comes across while being weird as fuck.

Last edited:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...ly-eichner-homophobics-box-office-1235231561/

Don't think Eichner is doing himself any favours by antagonizing straight people there. There are many other reasons, than just homophobia for the movie flopping like this. Rom coms I don't think are really even all that successful in the box office in the first place. Hell, I'm not big on rom coms either and wouldn't go to a theatre to see one, give me like a gay horror film or something for a spoopy season release.

So apparently the new Terrifier sequel is an hour and half long. It may well end up being one of the bloodiest slasher flicks ever. I start to wonder if there is going to be a plot this time. The first movie really is just Art the Clown murdering anyone he comes across while being weird as fuck.
Sounds like the first one had a great plot, and hope they build on that. By that I mean more murder.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...ly-eichner-homophobics-box-office-1235231561/

Don't think Eichner is doing himself any favours by antagonizing straight people there. There are many other reasons, than just homophobia for the movie flopping like this. Rom coms I don't think are really even all that successful in the box office in the first place. Hell, I'm not big on rom coms either and wouldn't go to a theatre to see one, give me like a gay horror film or something for a spoopy season release.
I mean, going by the previews, it's your average hackneyed romantic comedy that only had the whole "But it's gay!" thing going for it. I'm not shocked people don't care.

And the marketing (Like the poster)...
bros_movie_poster.jpg
probably didn't do it any favors.

Couldn't help it and read Eichner's tweets in his Craig Middlebrooks voice.

It's kinda weird to phrase it like that because it wasn't really made for straight people in the first place (not saying it couldn't be enjoyed by them) but I think this is in regards to that pull thing too. If Bros is as good as he claims I'm sure it will find its audience through streaming services or home release as it happened with tons of underperforming movies in the past. Blaming it on people you didn't make it for feels weird though.

Also a gay romantic comedy not doing well in the South? Well I never.

Yeah, this is the wrong tact to take. First you have to look at the sorry state of theatrically released comedies right now. It says something that the best comedy I've seen this year was Bullet Train and that was primarily an action flick. People just don't have much faith in comedies and it's just easier to wait to see them on the small screen. Movies are still recovering from the Pandemic. People are going to theaters, but if they're paying for movie tickets they want spectacle and something that they know they will like. Gay or not, a new comedy IP with no connection to anything else isn't a big draw.

i just wish youtube would listen to me when i hit the "stop showing this" ad on youtube for the bros movie. they have ignored me three times now.

"No. you WANT to see this movie. YOU LOVE IT"

Smile

Knowing last night was going to be a stressful night at work, I decided to stop in to see a film. All the marketing for Smile made it look like a shitty Blumhouse style boo scare fest. The kind of movie the studios fart out in January hoping to make a few bucks while there isn't much else playing in theaters. So color me impressed when I left the theater knowing the film will definitely end up in my top ten horror movies for the year. Depending on what else comes out, it's more likely going to be top 5.

The film is a well put together mid-budget flick. It's the kind of movie that I wish would get made more often. The effects are good, the cast is good, the lead played by Sosie Bacon is flipping fantastic, the movie has a distinctive look and there's a lot of meaty subtext to chew on. There are jump scares, but I thought they were built up well and had payoff. The smile gimmick is used with effective creepiness.

Smile is pretty much It Follows, but the STD allegory is replaced with a story about personal trauma. The monster here latches on to people and then feeds on their trauma before moving on to their next victim. I think the film does a great job of fleshing out the main character and giving her a backstory that explains she is trying to help others as a therapist to avoid dealing with her past. The movie opens with her mother committing suicide after a long battle with mental illness. She was a child when this happened and it's clear she never dealt with it.

In general the movie has a message about taking care of your mental health before it comes back to bite you. Unfortunately, we kind of suck at dealing with it. Both the trauma sufferers and those closest to them have trouble working through situations where the problem isn't something tangible and there aren't concrete fixes. I do think the movie is flawed in how quickly her family writes her off as crazy and beyond help. However, she was engaged to A-Train from The Boys so ya know.

The other knock I have on the movie is a personal thing, but I kind of wish the monster hadn't started talking in the end. It was an eerie presence. It talking takes away a bit from its menace.

Overall though, a damn good film. I am happy I saw this in a theater.
This is weird because i was expecting to laugh a lot if I ever saw it in theaters so now I actually seriously want to see it and not just to laugh at it lol

Back