Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Guest, Apr 27, 2017.

?

Best Stoner Comedy

Poll closed Jul 27, 2019.
  1. Up In Smoke

11.1%
  2. How High

22.2%
  3. Half Baked

11.1%
  4. Dude, Where's My Car?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle

33.3%
  6. Dazed and Confused

11.1%
  7. Pineapple Express

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Reefer Madness (lol)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Friday

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Saving Grace

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. The Big Lebowski

55.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Do you know why this is the best cut and the best movie of the entire franchise?

[​IMG]

Taek, Franconator, Starletka and 4 others like this.
  2. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

I was going to say: Because Joss Whedon is a toxic douche canoe and all his work is forever smeared by his behind the scenes abuse. I don't like anything about the Snyder DC Universe, but the guy is passionate about it. I'd rather his four hour fart sniffing, fan servicing pretention be the definitive version of the film rather than Whedon's half assed wannabe Avengers thing.

Your answer works too though.

Taek, Franconator, Thrawn and 2 others like this.
  3. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Whedon may be, as you say, a toxic douche canoe. But at least he occasionally brings a little levity to things. Snyder is such a pretentious downer that I don't get how he still gets work. He's basically the Darren Aronofsky of superhero movies.

Schizm likes this.
  4. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Really passionate guy, I agree:

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
  5. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

You can already see bits of his toxic douche personality pretty well reflected in his work, the most prominent one that comes to mind to me is dollhouse where it just all falls apart and makes the subtext, literal text for him. Just taking one watch of that and thinking about the crop of allegations that have come up against his ass, is really yikes to me. Where women can only be stronk and empowered if they suffer. I can't get that out of my head now or really unsee it, fuck Whedon with a spork.

So yeh, I basically agree here.

Taek and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  6. Vuh

Vuh Well-Known Member

Posted by Vuh on Feb 21, 2021
    My 40 year old coworker wouldn't shut the fuck up about that trailer the other day. I've made a shit ton of money betting on Sony stocks after watching him throw temper tantrums in his cubicle after not being able to buy a PS5 so I'm gonna go ahead and say that, the movie might be shit, but it's going to make a lot of people a lot of money (thanks to people like him).

I wish I had "bankroll a 4/10 action movie to make dipshits give me cash" money...shit, now I'm actually sympathizing with corrupt movie executives.

Taek, Franconator and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  7. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Office Space (1999) (re-watch)

Hmm, I remember that movie being a lot funnier when I first watched it. The biting comedy and commentary about cubicle work life are still excellent and you have the fun side characters but the middle of the film just drags these days imo. This movie feels like it should have been a TV show or something, most characters don't leave enough of an impact despite being fun for the short time we get to know them. Also think the movie could have leaned more towards the work life aspect rather than turning into an eh "crime" comedy near the end.

It's not a Jennifer Aniston character unless she has sex with someone or one of the plot points is her having had sex with someone!

7/10 red staplers

Thrawn, Franconator and crowwolf like this.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  8. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

Rewatched The Mummy (1999) that I used to be terrified of as a kid (but I still watched it like a billion times anyway :D), and it was actually kinda funny now

9. kellyon

kellyon Active Member

War of the Worlds 2005

It's a pity that Dakota Fanning's character wasn't thrown down the hole the first Alien tripod comes out of, the movie would have been more bearable without her constant shrieking and irritating dialogue.

randomredneck likes this.
  10. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

[​IMG]
    Whelp suffice it to say I am morbidly fascinated by this vanity project disguised as a movie.

Taek and Thrawn like this.
  11. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Hallelujah indeed.

Thrawn and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  12. randomredneck

Amen to that.

13. Franconator

Franconator Well-Known Member

What contributed to the weirdness especially was that Ryan Reynolds was clearly doing the Deadpool voice with Pikachu. So half the time, you expected Pikachu to suddenly get raunchy and rude and whatever else, only for him to very decidedly not. I did enjoy the movie for what it was, but the Ryan Reynolds casting was such a weird decision.

This is a blockbuster series that aged like fine wine. Cartoonish in all the right ways, surprisingly progressive and forward-looking for its time. Brendan Fraser is still so, so hunky and amazing. Rachel Weisz could talk about dusty bodies to me all day long and I'd hang onto every word, I don't care what else she might want to say to me.

14. randomredneck

I'm not sure why the internet is suddenly gaga for this weird Raggedy Ann cartoon movie from the 70s, but they need to quit so this effing song will get out of my head already. I heard it yesterday. and it's been looping up here ever since.

15. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Lawrence had the biggest impact, but it's a damn shame too. Still love the scenes where gangsta songs play.

The scarab under the skin scared me to hell and back as a kid, but damn fine movie.

I am loving this movie more and more. A messianic archetype of what it truly means to live in a society.

Schizm and Starletka like this.
  16. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Dude, I love Lawrence. That man sure knows how a million dollars should be spent.

Thrawn likes this.
  17. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Preach on! And what should happen to people who talk about mondays like that.

The facial change, the escalation, he is perfect.

randomredneck and Schizm like this.
  18. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

Watched Isn't It Romantic? (2019) last night, and while I did like the general idea, I was disappointed with the outcome. It was painfully unfunny. Pretty much the only good think about it was the ultimate himbo Liam.

Thrawn likes this.
  19. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

The Sand Pebbles (1966)

War/Romance epic set during the 1920s in China, overly long, uneven, but Steve McQueen puts on a hell of a performance and Richard Attenborough as Frenchy is a personal favorite. All the naval stuff, using that speed changer thing, whistles and yelling commands down, that's good shit. Some good set-pieces and scenes, with one of my favorites in war-time movies. "Holman, come down! Holman, come down!" and the scene preceding and following it, Frenchy seeing Meily for the first time, and that final line. The final scene. I still wouldn't recommend it.

7/10

20. Gingers

Gingers New Member

GreenLand 7/10

I went into this thinking it was going to be pure rubbish. Especially as someone here rated it as worse then 2012. And I don't really rate Gerard Butler as an actor at all. But it was actually pretty good. No amazing action scenes or spectacular special effects. So if you want that from your end of the world disaster movie you will be disappointed.