• Reefer Madness (lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friday

• Saving Grace

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Thrawn you will be disappointed to know the Joker doesn't actually say "we live in a society" in the film. He only says it in the trailer. However, The Joker does offer to give Batman a reach around.

The Joker scene is the worst part of the film and completely tacked on for no reason.
source.gif

giphy.gif

We get some bland backstory for a broody Cyborg which makes for broody hero number 3 in this film. The backstory is executed well, but it is bland dead parent stuff with another character having daddy issues. Still it gives cyborg more personality than he had in the theatrical cut of the film which just left him a MacGuffin at best.

That's too bad. With the way everyone else was going on about it, you would have thought Cyborg was the make-or-break factor between the Snydercut and the Jossflub. I remember seeing the Whedon version in a bar with some friends. It was clearly a bootleg DVD on the bar TV with Chinese subtitles and the volume was practically non-existent since the music was turned all the way up. But I already saw how bad it was. Not that I thought the Snydercut would have made it any better, but still.

A mild pet peeve I have about the Barry Allen character in the DC movies is that his personality's more Wally West than the OG Barry Allen. Or at least, that's how I remembered things. Funny, heart of the team guy has always been Wally. I don't know how Barry was, but it was probably way boring.

A mild pet peeve I have about the Barry Allen character in the DC movies is that his personality's more Wally West than the OG Barry Allen. Or at least, that's how I remembered things. Funny, heart of the team guy has always been Wally. I don't know how Barry was, but it was probably way boring.

I guess another serious character would have been too much for the group dynamic but you're definitely right about Barry's portrayal. Wally is just more recognizable to modern mainstream audiences as Flash than Barry is I guess even though he is still the most popular of the speedsters
I mean sacrificing yourself during Crisis in the 80s, then not turning up in comics for almost 30 years and still being recognized has to count for something

Zach Snyder Makes Batman Say Fuck: Epilogue

So Batman dreams of the Joker and an
Injustice movie. then Martian Manhunter shows up to set up for a more sane sequel about fighting Darkseid. Of the two I'd probably have more fun with an Injustice movie, just not made by Snyder.

Overall, this movie is long and bloated. It has some highlights, but also a lot of fluff and bad CG. 5 out of 10
Is it true that the Snyder Cut is in 4:3 aspect ratio? I just heard about that and I'm like "what..."

Is it true that the Snyder Cut is in 4:3 aspect ratio? I just heard about that and I'm like "what..."

The movie starts with a very pompous message that the film would be presented in 4:3 to preserve the integrity of Zach Snyder's artistic vision.

That artistic vision involved way too much slow motion to sad ballads. If you cut the slow-mo out of the film it would have been an hour shorter. We even get a slow motion scene of Lois Lane getting a latte.

Watched Mid 90s.

Really viscerally reminded me of my relationship with my older brother in the brother segments. Honestly, so close it gave me chills at moments.

But anyway as far as the film, I wasn't sure what to think in the first half, but in the second half when the characters become more sincere and strip their walls down, I really began to appreciate it as an earnest drama. Unfortunately I just don't love the film in totality, but there's certain pieces that were really strong.

Rewatched LotR and am rewatching The Hobbit. As a big fan of the book originally, I still dont get why The Hobbit movies get so much flak. They're near perfect expansions on the book, with the kid-friendly summary bits replaced with truly epic fantasy stuff. It was and remains one of those cases where I think a perfect 1 to 1 adaptation wasn't necessary and this was even better.

And after rewatching The Avengers and having to sit through a hulk and widow romance, yes, tauriel/kili is more than fine with me. And after watching LotR back to back with this, it's not like physics were ever well regarded in those movies anyways.

Rewatched LotR and am rewatching The Hobbit. As a big fan of the book originally, I still dont get why The Hobbit movies get so much flak. They're near perfect expansions on the book, with the kid-friendly summary bits replaced with truly epic fantasy stuff. It was and remains one of those cases where I think a perfect 1 to 1 adaptation wasn't necessary and this was even better.

And after rewatching The Avengers and having to sit through a hulk and widow romance, yes, tauriel/kili is more than fine with me. And after watching LotR back to back with this, it's not like physics were ever well regarded in those movies anyways.

Shit, the fuck you doin with all this good taste and shit. I personally loved the first two Hobbits, especially the adventure of the first one. The second one, Benedict Cucumberpatch? Perfect voice. "Come now, don't be shy- step into the light". Holy balls Smaug!

Shit, the fuck you doin with all this good taste and shit. I personally loved the first two Hobbits, especially the adventure of the first one. The second one, Benedict Cucumberpatch? Perfect voice. "Come now, don't be shy- step into the light". Holy balls Smaug!
This guy knows a lot of things. And is good at knowing them. Really good.

I find the entire franchise overrated myself. Long, pretentious and dull.
All three words that could easily be used to describe someone's schlong.

Recommend the horror movie
https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/threads/horror-movies-for-halloween.337713/ listed over 50horrors here awhile back.

Hobbit? Ugh, isn't it a cheaper version of Lotro? While I agree that the original was too kid-friendly. Almost like Roverandom in a way. But the movies are the loosely based computer generated attraction at best. Never finished though.

Everyone discusses superheroes for some reason. I enjoyed Chronicle (2012) quite a bit last year (6.5/10). A curious collision among the 3 different types of characters. No idea why they decided to make a sequel though. The story is over as it is.
Some stuff I stole from this thread: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (courtesy of @femcore) - wow, that was awesome. Not sure, if I was supposed to watch this in the first place (seemed like it was intended for women only) but powerful stuff. Inferior to 4 luni, 3 saptamani si 2 zile, but painful and dark all the same. Filmed just the way it was supposed to be. 8/10; Stigma (1977) (courtesy of @Taek) - wtf, it was awesome as well. Starts like a cheap short, ends like one of the most immersive and scary stories in a long time. Hard to imagine what they could do with a decent budget! 8/10 as well.

I'll list some more, I enjoyed A LOT recently (would turn out to be another tremendous post overwise):
Nocturne indien (1989) might be the best Corneau's movie. What an experience! It doesn't follow the book's plot all the way, for the director had a vision of his own. Some guy arrives in India to search for his friend, only to find himself instead and dissolve in the mysteries of that country. Plenty of philosophy in place. 8/10
McQueen (2018) I couldn't care less about fashion shows. And the gay theme creeped me out quite a bit too. But an amazing documentary anyway. So artistic and lovable. The guy made clothes not to be worn, but to shock an audience instead. So many meanings behind his experiments too. 8/10
The Browning Version (1951) MC is unpleasant, yet the whole movie explains why he had become that way. A brilliant unravelling of a human psyche 8/10.
State Funeral (2019) So much has been said about that and here is an authentic documentary at long last. Death of the bloodiest dictator of all time in all of its dismal glory. An event so enormous that this long movie managed to capture just a part of it. Major military parades, huge crowds outside Russia and endless victims of the melee among the mob didn't make it. My grandma nearly died in there. Along with the thousands of others. The most epic funeral in human history, probably 8/10
Hyènes (1992) the best Senegal movie I've watched so far. Scratch that, the only African movie that is even better, I can think of, is Yeelen. So some grandma comes home and offers 185mil$ to the citizens, provided they execute her unfaithful lover of 40+ someth years ago. Ok, this is deep and a lot can be said about all that. The way townsfolk change their attitude, how their victim acts, how grandma is in love still and doesn't want to corrupt ppl, actually. This movie is all about fatum, I'd say. So much more thought-provoking than Most (2003). 8/10
Soul (2020) I feel bad including it among such heavy artillery, but as simple and bland as this animation is, the ending is kinda sweet. I enjoyed it enough to ignore the lame and graphically poor middle. 7.5/10
Temple Grandin (2010) Seemed naive and poorly filmed at times. Expect insightful and curious just the same. The autistic scenes are brilliant and it explains the way corrals are arranged in depth. 7.5/10
Creep (2014) A must watch for every mockumentary buff. Immersive and ominous. Why is the sequel so bad though? Weird. 8/10
Senna (2010) One of the best documentaries ever made (Capturing the Friedmans is my fav documentary if anyone is curious). Wish, they showed off his business affairs more. Not enough racing too. But could become an actual 10/10 given the 80s film would be restored to the modern standards 8.5/10
Io, Leonardo (2019) Was made for those of us, who manage to get lost in a painting or any other exhibit for a long time. A trip down Da Vinci's mind. Not about his creation per se, but the very fibre of his being instead. 9/10
Michelangelo - Infinito (2017) Very similar to the previous one, even if slightly worse, imho 9/10
Ok, L'hypothese du tableau vole (1978) wasn't supposed to be here. For I watched it a couple of years ago, as opposed to the rest that had been watched several months ago at most. But felt like including my last monster-mark, so ppl won't take me for a weirdo, who never gives off an excellent rating. Might happen once a decade, but it still does. So strange that I find a 10/10 anime every year on another hand <_<. Anyway, everything about this flick is a deceit. The amount of interpretations creeps over the horizon. It's about a series of paintings and what the author meant, what the reteller meant, the every other on-looker, the surrounding itself purported. The amount of detail is stupendous. Every time I imagine finding a blemish, turns out it was done on purpose. That still world on the other side of the screen seems like the closest form of cinema magic we can get close to! I rewatched it in the queue to the Hermitage among the flock of Frenchmen deep into the winter. One of the best movie experiences of my life.

Last edited:
I dunno man, the Hobbit films feel so long and bloated, they have a similar runtime to LOTR to tell a story thats less than half the length of Fellowship of the Ring.

Granted, the actual LOTR books themselves have a lot of world-building and fluff (that I mostly enjoy) that doesn't make it into the films, but trying to find stuff from the wider Middle Earth lore just to shoehorn it into making a story that should have been one good 2 and a half hour film, into nearly 9 hours of film, is cash grabbing at its worst.

I also hate what they did with Legolas and the weird love triangle he's involved in, but mostly, I hate how the movies trade the fantasy realism of the danger in LOTR for cartoon physics and basically superpowers in the Hobbit films.

Slaxx (2020)

There are a pair of killer jeans stalking a group of retail employees in a locked down upscale clothing boutique before the night of a big product launch. The film is a bog standard corporate satire updated for the modern age. The jokes and parody are all pretty obvious. The satire is on the nose and the characters are all the broadest stereotypes. The movie is just about as dumb as you'd expect a killer object to be. However, it's also kind of fun and got a couple of laughs out of me. At a breezy 80 minutes the movie won't take up too much of your time. What really sold me on the movie though is the jeans don't just have murder on their mind they also love to dance to Bollywood music.

5 out of 10

Back