Mob Psycho 100

Discussion in 'Specific Manga Discussion' started by Yakoz, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Yakoz

Yakoz Well-Known Member

Posted by Yakoz on Jan 14, 2018
  2. Yakoz

Yakoz Well-Known Member

Posted by Yakoz on Jan 14, 2018
    Split opinions for Mob Psycho 100.

I'll start from saying this: I would've never read this if I hadn't watched the anime.
    As you might know, ONE is the author and artist of both Mob Psycho 100 and One-Punch Man, really successful titles. The biggest difference lies in the format: OPM is a webcomic, Mob has had it's own serialization.
    Since it was impossible to serialize online content, Shounen Jump decided to launch a remake featuring a new artist, Eyeshield 21's Morata, that elevated drastically the overall level of OPM, leaving Mob behind.
    Why did that happen? Well, ONE's art style is far from reaching the average of today's manga industry, reason why he's been left in the darkness for a long, long time.
    Due to extreme popularity of OPM's anime, studios tried the same with Mob, receiving a positive response and showing the potential of this other title.

Now, ONE has a great sense of humor and it's difficult to understand if he's not able to draw respecting high standards, if he doesn't care or just he doesn't want to. The result is a niche manga that, just like his art style, can't be taken too seriously.

When I was at chapter 95-96 I was expecting a great battle and seeing Dimple as final antagonist really disappointed me, considering this manga lacked a real bad guy but, just like OPM, the end revelals that the real enemy is Mob, himself. Chapters 100 were satisfying, yes, but I don't know if it was enough to compensate for the Broccoli battle.
    All characters have a great human side and, if it wasn't a ONE manga, I probably would've shed a tear for all the time I spent reading Mob, it's always sad seeing a good product end.