Mo Dao Zu Shi

I really liked this series. Unique and interesting plot/story. Lovable characters. Great and high quality animation. Beautiful art and characters design. Also liked the music. There's nothing I dislike about the whole series.

This was such a masterpiece! I wound up staying up all night to binge watch this because it just kept becoming more and more intense. I didn't know what to expect when I started this, I just thought it sounded intriguing, and it is also highly rated. I was definitely not disappointed! This was full of plenty of action, humor, and gut-renching moments. The characters were absolutely phenomenal. Some characters made me hate their guts, while others made me love them to death!!!

Episode 1
I came in here with a vague idea of what the show was about, but the first episode was really enjoyable. The animation was breathtaking and the music was nice.

I certainly wasn't expecting any zombies

MC just loves acting as if he can't defend himself

Episode 2
Look at those on-par acting skills

I don't know the names of any of the characters lol
Episode 3
I like the relationship between the MC and 'his brother.'

Too many rules..

No.1 Pupil is not impressed by the MC

I'm going to do a review of my re-watch of season 1, so bare in mind that this will include spoilers from season 2 as well as season 1.

To start, knowing more of the context made a lot of the interaction make more sense as well as hurt. Knowing who characters were definitely helped in this regard. The animation is just as beautiful and the soundtrack is amazing.

As per the mention from one of the reviewer, I paid close attention to what tracks played with specific characters. I especially love the flute that plays during the focus on Wei Wuxian. I'll have to make sure to keep up with that.

One thing that I noticed is that Lan Wangji's entrance parallel's Wei Wuxian's later in the series.

9Z2YPOP.jpg
NwxxnMl.png

Also the green in the lantern was an interesting detail.

I have a feeling I'm going to like this re watch.

After knowing both who Jin Ling was and who his parents were, his reactions and interactions start to make more sense. Seeing him attack Wen Ning in an almost reckless manner, I originally through that it was because of what Jiang Cheng had said to him previously. But now knowing that it was Wen Ning himself that had killed Jin Ling's father, it explains his behavior. Realizing that while watching made everything more painful to continue.

Some of these realizations that I had during my first watch through might not have happened if I had an easier time remembering the names, but once I realized who Jiang Cheng was, a lot more started to fit togther. Watching Jiang Cheng's interactions with Wei Wuxian made me long for their friendly and brotherly relationship. That in itself will make the happier moments in the series hurt more than the sad ones.

Another interesting parallel present in this episode was the switch in beliefs between Jiang Cheng and Lan Wangji. The contrast from Jiang Cheng's desire to do anything to stop the Wens as well as his willingness to accept the dark arts completely changes after Yanli dies and goes to one of disdain for the dark art. And Lan Wangji's perspective goes in the opposite direction. While I never saw him in quite the extremes on either side as Jiang Cheng, he now has no qualms about Wei Wuxian using the dark arts.

Another thing that I noticed is that despite the time Wei Wuxian's smile doesn't change:

SLPLUK5.jpg
CadXUZj.jpg

Maybe that's why he was recognized

Also I still love the flute ost. It's just so hauntingly beautiful.

Episode 03

So Wuxian spent the whole month he was stuck with Wang trying to troll him, who's only reaction the whole time was calling him pathetic once. But the straw that finally broke the camels back was Xian basically calling him a virgin.

That's fair, I can believe that.

The animation is weird and ugly. The anime complicated stuff and make it confusing especially if you're read the novel. As expected of tencent production.

Last edited:
I don't get any of the good reviews so far and am really thinking about dropping it a episode 3. The by far most original thing about this anime is the ad placement. The rest is so booooring to the core (also I normally do like this genre and don't mind remakes of old plots, stories or folk lore).
I mean this anime obviously also doesn't conflicting with any Chinese censorship guidelines but even within those you can make things a little more exciting (King's Avatar wasn't half bad either).

What am I missing here, will it suddenly get really good beyond episode 3 and I should continue? Or do all the ratings come from Chinese natives and western pseudo weebs like me normally doesn't watch Chinese animations and ergo have not rated it? I'm confused, normally ratings on anime planet aren't that far off.....

Back