Mix

Episode 11:

2ULpd.jpg

If this ain't me.

The slow pacing is starting to hurt the show now, and it's obvious in how bored I was during this episode's first half. The cheerleader girl is... well, she's something. She's nothing too, but I suppose that depends on who you're talking to. Point is, I couldn't really muster enough shits to give for what ever drama the boys have with her. Either way, her transition from that gymnastics whatever-the-fuck to the pitching action on the field was so smooth and sweet.

Things really start to pick up when baseball takes the center stage again, so at least the show is self-aware enough to know how to include all the sweet sports action. The brothers continue to be great, when they're both together and not. More brother-related drama, instead of this love triangle bullshit with their new power batter, please. Hell, I wouldn't even mind the slight incest thing, if it means all gymnastics girl-related bullshit stops.

Episodes 1-9

Been watching this on and off for a couple weeks, it's fun. I love the dynamic between the three siblings and the nostalgic feel. The first six or so episodes were great with them trying to deal with a rigged system, but ever since it feels like things have kinda meandered a bit. I just can't bring myself to care about this gymnast love triangle or whatever rivalry's going on with Otomi and brown-haired girl.

Episode 9 really brought it back though, the match against Toushu was intense.
2ULG1.png

"Nearly threw hands with a 13 year old today". Poor Akai-kun, now that he's got a sprained leg I don't know if he's gonna be able to run away fast enough when Oniichan unleashes on 'im.

2ULG2.png

Speaking of deathly glares, I wonder when we're gonna get to meet this guy from the OP. He looks like if Mista from Jojo Part 5 took up baseball instead of the gangster life, so I love him already.

Look at this show, finally giving us a glimpse into Meisei's glory days, even if it's all from the POV of a superfan. Sou-chan's still being badgered to hit the mound, I can't believe it. Just let the best battery in Japanese high school live their lives, coach, goddamn.

We've now been introduced to the gangsta player @Cherstal wanted to meet, and boy, is he an asshole of the first degree. The return of old rivals and past storylines. Youth is such a lovely thing.

Episode 12
That former Sumi tech school player is a douche and a half.
The friends mother fangirling so hard :laugh:
The look on the ramen owners face after dissing the coach as catcher, and then forgetting Tou's noodles later :laugh::laugh:

Why do these episodes go by so quickly, I want more. Hopefully more baseball action next week.

We've now been introduced to the gangsta player @Cherstal wanted to meet, and boy, is he an asshole of the first degree. The return of old rivals and past storylines. Youth is such a lovely thing.
He's here finally, but at what cost
2UWTH.jpg

(haven't actually seen the episode, just saw this picture floating around and all I can say is That Hair is a mistake)

Episode 14:

Second cour, here we go. That opening song, that slick animation - yeah, this is shaping up to be a real baseball series now. Had me so scared we were gonna get a flashback episode right after that one-week break. Good thing that wasn't the case.

Ah, but I wish they didn't have to make that rival team a dirty one. They looked like they could handle Meisei just fine, even without having to resort to injury tactics.

I miss the old ED already.

Episode 14

Boy I thought random posters of the author's works was funny, but outright dropping his name in the middle of a class and asking the students about him is just hylarious.
Damn Touma is a saint, if I was in his place I would "accidentally" decapitate the other team's batters after they attempted injure him.

I had almost forgotten this was a baseball anime. I'm surprised they've actually spent three episodes on this game. It's been a good game. It's still a little too laid back to have the same tension as a really good sports anime, but I'm enjoying the strategies that go into the game.

Episode 15:

2VFW5.jpg

COOL GIRL RETURNS

Is it just me or was the background music way too loud this episode? Another thing that's too loud: the background commentary. Haikyuu has spoiled me - now I'm expecting every sports anime in this day and age to come with as little outside comments as possible. But at least the amped-up tension and sweet chef's kiss-type baseball action made up for it.

Oh, and the game's over. That was quick. Just when I was starting to get into Kenjo too.

Rival pitcher guy is creepy as fuck. I hope their game comes up next so we can be rid of him already.

The sound mixing for this show has always been kind of terrible. I don't know if it's Funimation's fault or if the show is just like that, but the music is always too loud and the dialogue too soft.

Episode 16:

Ah, love. It's nice and all, but I really hate it when series dump all their focus on the wrong things. Like love. In a sports show. A sports show that doesn't even have any gay boys in it. What the hell, man. If you can't give me that, then at least give me some sweet chef's kiss-type sports action.

It was pretty funny seeing Sou-chan lose his focus at the end there, I will admit.

Episode 16 was just awful. The self aware dialogue doesn't make the weird fan service any more appealing. The episode was barely animated with lots of still and panning shots. This was just a breather episode, but it was still poorly made and not any fun to watch.

2W9uS.jpg

OOOOH SNAP YOU KNOW IT'S SERIOUS NOW BRAH

Old rival manager is old. I really liked that music build-up as everything about that Meisei game from years ago came back to him. Not a big fan of Otomi's class drama, but the Sou-chan/Manager's Daughter arguments are a little amusing. Nangou can go hit balls and stay quiet or something.

Well, that father-daughter talk got real fast.

I can't believe we spent the whole episode watching three kids go out on a date. Akai seems like a nice guy who knows when to swallow his pride and apologize, but this is a baseball show, man, who thought it was a good idea to go overboard on the slice of life shenanigans instead of hitting the field?

Last edited:
Episode 19:

2WjgE.jpg

You know who it is. I'm just going to keep on keeping track of Cool Girl and hope nobody notices how badly I want to know her name.

And oh boy, Koshien season is here and it only took us 19 episodes to get to it!

Y'all, I just realized, the Tachibana's father is what Ichiban would be in the future. Which might mean Akai Jr. and Otomi-chan might get together eventually, and then stay together, until Akai dies, thus leaving the door wide open for Ichiban to make his appearance and get the girl in the end. No, I most absolutely did not put a lot of thought into this, I don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: Zed
Back