Mix

Ep2:
The dialogues continue to be fantastic. When they don't answer or don't comment on something, instead just murmuring "Hmm.." and sharing looks with each other, that is more natural than organic than most anime dialogues, even when in serious shows.
Also fuck the ace pitcher and the wave of nepotism he came riding in on.

Episodes 1 & 2:

I'm still waiting for this series to grow on me, but I guess I can never really keep away from sports anime after all. I'm gonna be keeping @ShinShini company for this one. The episodes drag sometimes, but they're nothing so bad that'd make me drop the show.

The flashback that closed the second ep gave me all kinds of feelings. I admit, the family tree got me confused for a minute, but I'm glad they were able to clear that up as soon as they did.

The conflict of their baseball club is also some really interesting stuff. I'm actually hoping Nepotism Pitcher isn't as big an asshole as his first impressions imply. It's a long shot, but I'd still like to think he's got some real love for the sport there - it's just distorted as shit (maybe) because of his father. Plucky Newcomer isn't so annoying, either. I was expecting to get annoyed by him, but I haven't been, so far. That's a good sign.

The dialogues continue to be fantastic. When they don't answer or don't comment on something, instead just murmuring "Hmm.." and sharing looks with each other, that is more natural than organic than most anime dialogues, even when in serious shows.

The natural dialogue is certainly a winner. That's why the humor works well here.

Episodes 1 & 2:

I'm still waiting for this series to grow on me, but I guess I can never really keep away from sports anime after all. I'm gonna be keeping @ShinShini company for this one. The episodes drag sometimes, but they're nothing so bad that'd make me drop the show.

The flashback that closed the second ep gave me all kinds of feelings. I admit, the family tree got me confused for a minute, but I'm glad they were able to clear that up as soon as they did.

The conflict of their baseball club is also some really interesting stuff. I'm actually hoping Nepotism Pitcher isn't as big an asshole as his first impressions imply. It's a long shot, but I'd still like to think he's got some real love for the sport there - it's just distorted as shit (maybe) because of his father. Plucky Newcomer isn't so annoying, either. I was expecting to get annoyed by him, but I haven't been, so far. That's a good sign.

The natural dialogue is certainly a winner. That's why the humor works well here.
I'm surprised though this is not resonating with more people and that we just only got to the second page in this thread. I thought a sport/slice of life anime would have more people interested.

Yeah, the flashback was all kinds of adorable. I hope we get more of that. And once again without much dialogue and exposition, which made the key moments more impactful.

The trainer seems to acknowledge their skills and their passion for the sport, so I look forward to how they will solve this situation. I don't think they will wait for autumn, until the "ace" is gone. But I also can't imagine that the Nepotism Pitcher just gives his spot to the siblings.

I'm loving the "retro 80s" art style and the characters are endearing. I hope this is a success and I'm glad it got picked up for a simuldub, as I was also a big fan of Big Windup! which alas was not a commercial success for FUNimation but still one of my favorite anime shows. I'm glad people seem more willing to give sports anime a chance now and more of them are getting dubbed, too, like ALL OUT!!, etc. I'm eager to keep following MIX week to week.

Episode 3:

2TjyG.jpg

who is she

Yes, some sweet baseball action at long last!

This baseball team really intrigues me. In other anime, team issues would usually show up at the beginning, where the team is still learning to be a team. It's a special case here, because whatever team dynamic this baseball club has, has been the status quo for quite some time now. This gives a whole new angle to the conflict, and a special case of urgency too, if our main characters' inner thoughts are any indication.

2TjyJ.jpg

giphy.gif

This episode got interesting fast, thanks to the unraveling dynamics between the ace pitcher and team captain, and the main sibling pair. Team Captain's not taking any more shit! Ace Pitcher has some guts in him after all, if he just tries! Sou-chan used to be a pitcher! Tou-chan might be attracted to his sister in that way!

Okay, so that last one's a bit iffy. But for me, it was all about the Ace Pitcher this week. Makes me wonder if he's self-aware about the limits of his actual talent, and if he's harboring some insecurity covered up by overwhelming confidence because of it. The laidback tone's still here, but a bunch of revelations got dropped on us this week, and even if they don't feel like anything much now, I'm hoping they'll get into more of these issues over the course of the series' run.

2TjyH.jpg

Cheeky shit lol.

Tou-chan might be attracted to his sister in that way!
I was just "Why are you explaining the family dynamic so often? Why are you explaining to me they are not related by blood? Is this a light novel?"
Aside from that, yeah, I also liked that the team is already in place and the dynamic between the members is already worn in. So many sport shows where a new team has to find together first.

I am a big Adachi fan, but this is the first anime adaptation of his work I've seen. So far so good, it's nice to have different voices as well as different hairstyles to differentiate the characters...

Loving this so far, especially the relationships between the siblings. There is a central mystery too that has been hinted at, and I haven't figured out yet what the connection to Touch is.

Episode 4:

2Tvzr.jpg

Ye gods, she's back. But it's somehow not her? Who is this, Mystery Girl's lighter-toned cousin?

Between our main characters dunking on their "ace only 'cause he wears the Number One" and our main characters dissing their manager out loud, I don't even know where to start chuckling. The rival team's good, even if the most personality we got was from their team "I want a trade" ace pitcher. He's great, I hope he shows up again.

Interesting team conflicts again, and this time, they're in a do-or-die situation that literally anyone else besides their ace can solve. This has to be the first time I actually dreaded having the main team's ace guy take the field. Nepotism Pitcher must give some sort of damn about the sport after all, if he's going to get so competitive about it. But it's funny. It's not all good, not if I were the main characters, but it's funny stuff. I'm loving the conflicts of this show and how Mix is trying to be a different kind of sports program.

Now, if they could do the wise thing and steer clear of the incest subplot, then it'll be all gravy.

You know what else I'm liking about this so far? The music. The music this episode's been great. Really loving the bass lines and synth notes.

giphy.gif

Still thinking about if I should start this or not, you guys make it actually sound like an interesting sport's show though and I'm not even that big on baseball.

It took me a while to get into it, but the characters are easy to get attached to, so I'm sticking around for the ending. It's got an old-school feel to it (see it in the art style, hear it in the unnecessary narration, feel it in the slow-burn pace), but it's able to look more modern with a special kind of team conflict you hardly see in anime sports shows.

I'm an old soul, I like the older art style and the way this one is animated with the VCR effects, different and refreshing.
Loving the banter between MCs and others, blatant sarcasm for the win XD

I think the fact they are making a point out of sister and real ace pitcher not being related is indicating that they may end up together. Also she calls him with an honorific which is another tick in that box. The real brother constantly sending him to be with her too. And the opening animation.

Having not watched Touch, I don't think I'm missing much as it's a new generation. Do wonder if there is any deeper connection other than the school though. The parents didn't seem to be in the first one, or maybe they weren't listed.

Nepotism pitcher is bugging me a lot with his arrogance. I think he knows he's good but not as good as real ace and that bugs him. Along with some other issues. Wonder will they be addressed or included.
Does he have to be suck a prick to captain/old friend/ex catcher though? That was an arsehole move. He's a nice one.
Relief pitcher is cheeky gold. Loved that XD

It's interesting to be dropped into a set team rhythm rather than watching it form. Nice change.
I ended up watching ep 4 on break in work. When asked what I was watching, replied baseball, which got the same amount of looks as if I'd put a porcupine in a hot tub. Something else they can add to their 'Valkyrie is weird' list :P

Nepotism pitcher is bugging me a lot with his arrogance. I think he knows he's good but not as good as real ace and that bugs him. Along with some other issues. Wonder will they be addressed or included.
Does he have to be suck a prick to captain/old friend/ex catcher though? That was an arsehole move. He's a nice one.

Yeah, their team captain's the only to genuinely put up with Nepotism Pitcher, and not just because the pitcher's the school president's son. He's a real bro, that guy. Look at him giving Nepotism Pitcher spot reality checks every now and then. If only the arrogant bastard would get his head out of his egoistic ass and listen to him sometime.

Episodes 1-2

This is more entertaining that it has any rights to be. It's charming as hell for all its narration and pacing choices so far.
Sou is a shit with his double dating so naturally I laughed so goddamn hard. Lil' shit.
I think the dialogue is just hilariously presented. Many entertaining mock faceplams were had. And Punch is friggin' adorbs.

Back