Memorable Quotes/Moments that Left a Big Impact on You?

It's more a speech than a quote but it's left a big impact on me. Specifically the line that starts at 3:37.

It reminds me not to dwell on other people's opinions of me, but even more importantly, it tells me not to assume something is good or bad just because everyone else believes it is, but to think carefully about it myself and make my own judgments.

I also highly recommend giving this series a watch. The fights are terrible but the acting is top knotch.
This was an awesome quote, sort of in a way that I needed to hear it. So a thank you for that.

What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer: a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciations of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade, and solemnity, are, to him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy — a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages. There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices, more shocking and bloody, than are the people of these United States, at this very hour.

full text: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/coretexts/_files/resources/texts/c/1852 Douglass July 4.pdf

So here's how I ended up with my slightly unhealthy interest in the former USSR;
When I was five and my grandparents took me to this yearly WW2 airshow; the local airport there sets up a bunch of miniature sets from the period, with a bombed out French village, a Pacific jungle, etc etc. You also have a bunch of reenactors in period dress going about for each respective major power (though I don't think Germany is represented anymore for...reasons). You used to also have veterans in their uniforms attend as well.

Aaaanyhow, when my family was passing through the Soviet area, there was this old Soviet veteran sitting next to this massive pile of spam. Must have at least been a good 50 cans of the stuff next to him. For whatever reason out of all the people present, he calls me and my family over; we go over, and he hands me a can saying "This save Red Army in darkest hour. This save me! You eat this, you grow strong man like me in past. Strong like Red Army!" ...and after that I can only remember a word or two.
Still have the picture my mother took at the time of me being handed the can in a photo album back in the US

=========
Another one which sticks with me happened me first semester in university; my English professor at the time had the class watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and then discuss it in groups.
At the end of the movie, one of my group members asked him "do you think we're doomed to always love the same kind of person?"; his face immediately became thirty years older and replied in a fairly hushed tone, "I sure as hell hope not".
We later found out he was going through a nasty divorce and his book was having issues getting a publisher

Last edited:
" I like suicide............. But not pain or suffering"-
Dazai Osumu (Bungo Stray Dogs)

Last edited:
Here are a couple:
We usually see what we want to see; hear what we want to hear, and say everyone around want us to say. So when it comes to freedom we just suck. (c)

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized. (c) Terry Pratchett

Most men die at twenty or thirty; thereafter they are only reflections of themselves: for the rest of their lives they are aping themselves, repeating from day to day more and more mechanically and affectedly what they said and did and thought and loved when they were alive. (c) Romain Rolland

Have not posted in awhile. Still busy. Hope to make another quote here at some point. Though am loving some of these quotes!

dunno where i orginally heard this, but its a personal favorite of mine. i have seen it re-written a few different ways, but its something like-

"There are three things that are certain in life: death, taxes and change. You can't avoid change, it's mandatory, progress however is optional"

Have you seen the Rick and Morty episode about progress can be a nuisance? Yeah, am getting that vibe from your quote.

my English professor at the time had the class watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and then discuss it in groups.
At the end of the movie, one of my group members asked him "do you think we're doomed to always love the same kind of person?"; his face immediately became thirty years older and replied in a fairly hushed tone, "I sure as hell hope not".
We later found out he was going through a nasty divorce and his book was having issues getting a publisher

Wow. Well, you are probably doomed if that person has left a big impact on you and you both have some unfinished business. But still being in-love for long is unlikely as you do find other people and the only question is whether you want to settle down with them. But Mystic does assume that if one or both parties is still in-love, then perhaps one or both want closure from their ordeal, and the latter rarely ever being still in-love. Still, this is all just speculation.

" I like suicide............. But not pain or suffering"-
Dazai Osumu

Like the idea of suicide, or the tragedy of those who have done suicide? In any case, Mystic is now curious of the man who posed this quote. At the same time, maybe this sort of thinking was reinforced because as kids, being pampered was the kind of environment kids usually grow up, and some becoming extremes to spoiled brats. Now you long for that pampered life as "things used to be simple". Overall, there is a lot of ways to look at this topic!

Have not posted in awhile. Still busy. Hope to make another quote here at some point. Though am loving some of these quotes!

Have you seen the Rick and Morty episode about progress can be a nuisance? Yeah, am getting that vibe from your quote.

Wow. Well, you are probably doomed if that person has left a big impact on you and you both have some unfinished business. But still being in-love for long is unlikely as you do find other people and the only question is whether you want to settle down with them. But Mystic does assume that if one or both parties is still in-love, then perhaps one or both want closure from their ordeal, and the latter rarely ever being still in-love. Still, this is all just speculation.

Like the idea of suicide, or the tragedy of those who have done suicide? In any case, Mystic is now curious of the man who posed this quote. At the same time, maybe this sort of thinking was reinforced because as kids, being pampered was the kind of environment kids usually grow up, and some becoming extremes to spoiled brats. Now you long for that pampered life as "things used to be simple". Overall, there is a lot of ways to look at this topic!

NO the man who quoted this is from an anime (Bungo Stray Dogs) and was a real author, the character was based off of the author's personality. He was obsessed with dying himself, but did not enjoy the suffering of others. The only time that Dazai (in the anime) was heartless was his Dark Era in the Mafia. The character himself was not pampered and that is why he wanted to end his life, because he felt like there was a hole somewhere in his heart that was empty, and by pain and suffering he meant physical pain, he wanted to end his life swiftly and not in a long sufferable process. The reason this left an impact on mean wasn't a joke I probably overthought it a little, but there are times when I feel like I wish I could just take a break from life and come back when I'm ready to deal with it again. But that itself is impossible, so you just have to deal with what you've got. And it has nothing to do with being spoiled or pampered I have had quite the opposite experience with that, also I long to get AWAY from the people who I grew up with.

Last edited:
Ye, do have unfinished business in some regards, but what stuck about it with me is/was my interpretation in relation to our "types". Whether or not following such desires is actually the best for you (paradox of hedonism and all that...but saying that also opens another can of worms so eh...) and/or whether we slavishly follow our desires on some level regardless of any conscious attempts to block or mitigate them. 'Course there's also the whole past abuse thing which can result in seeking out future bad relationships and all that jazz

Back