Megaton Musashi

Episode 1:
This is clearly inspired by shows of the 70s and 80s like Mazinger and other real robot shows. A lot of predictable story beats if you've seen your fair share of these shows.

Episode 2:
Holy shit, that was actually pretty fucking good. The action was very well-executed, fitting music, tons of explosions and creative choreography. Well placed hints of drama throughout the episode, covered with mecha goodness.

These kinds of shows are not very popular on AP, I think, but it's a good real robot anime of the classical vein.

You mean Super Robots. Real Robots are the more grounded stuff like Gundam or VOTOMS.

Anyhoo, how are the subs? I was bummed CR and Funi didn't pick this one up so I'm kinda hesitant to watch it because it's only fansubbed.
I don't think mecha shows nowadays can be cleanly differentiated anyway, but you're probably right.
I would have said they are trying quite hard to ground it on the technological side and how the actual robot is build. On the other hand it's a giant robot, they shout their attacks and they even sing the name of the robot in the theme song.

There were no particular problems with the subs. A few sentences perhaps and not particularly worse than what CR offers.

I don't think mecha shows nowadays can be cleanly differentiated anyway, but you're probably right.

A lot of mecha anime have muddled the line like Evangelion and even toku stuff like Gridman have joined the mix but it is still easy to distinguish Supers and Reals. Reals are the more dominant these days but lately Supers are slowly resurging with shows like Getter Arc and the new Mazinger Infinity line.

There were no particular problems with the subs. A few sentences perhaps and not particularly worse than what CR offers.

Thanks. Definitely gonna watch this now.

Ep 1-2:
img]

Episodes 1 & 2:

Holy shit. This is literally Getter Robo lol.
29SGKMq.jpg

They even did the CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE!!! GETTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! formation!

The main three MCs are expies of Ryoma, Hayato, and Musashi through and through. MC is hot-blooded and full of bloodlust like Ryoma, Glasses guy is cold and logical like Hayato and the other delinquent is tough but a big softie and full of heart like Musashi or Benkei. Holy shit. I can't believe Hino and Level-5 made their own version of Getter Robo and it's a multimedia project.

Yeah, I'm in. This seems like a good time. The CG is pretty decent too and the fights are awesome. This is gonna scratch that Super Robot itch.

Obligatory Heats:

I'm aware tastes differ. But that gif implies you found this boring, and I'm curious how anyone could find an explosion fest full of action boring.
Supposing you are a staff member of level 5 and I am a potential buyer of your game. (This anime is made to promote the game.) Tell me what makes your anime special (action aside.).

P.S. I wrote a rather detailed explanation of Komi for you. Now I need your help to understand Musashi.

Supposing you are a staff member of level 5 and I am a potential buyer of your game. (This anime is made to promote the game.) Tell me what makes your anime special (action aside.).
In this day and age, I'd say it's unique. Cause frankly, the robot genre is kind of dead. We haven't had a good, action and explosion filled fun mech show in a dogs age. Last one I can recall is Star Driver, and that was over a decade ago now.

...God, Star Driver was over a decade ago. How time does fly.

In this day and age, I'd say it's unique. Cause frankly, the robot genre is kind of dead. We haven't had a good, action and explosion filled fun mech show in a dogs age. Last one I can recall is Star Driver, and that was over a decade ago now.
Eh, okay. Well, I am avoiding your question for a reason. It is boring (for me), but it might get better in the future, right?

EP 3: dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 3.
I'm not trying to armchair quarterback here, but the Keystone Assassins would probably have more success if they used like, a gun. Because this tactic of "Try to run up and stab him with the laser boxcutter" doesn't seem very efficient.

Also, big ass laser. I like big ass lasers.

Last edited:
Back