Those Snow White Notes

Definitely and interesting and captivating first episode.
Starting off with the strongest point, the shamisen music was absolutely fantastic. I loved it. Literally zero complaints about all three performances.

But... wow this was a much weirder show than I would have thought. The pacing felt too erratic and so many things simply left me baffled.
Yuna... invited a stranger off the streets to live with her?
This mc immediately started to shit about her boyfriend getting money while knowing practically nothing about the relationship...
Said boyfriend sure was trash but he also didn't seem to mind the mc living with her? I guess that was because he was also cheating on her huh...
The fucking "if you don't get here I'm gonna break this dude's arm" was EXTREMELY OVEDRAMATIC but then two seconds later..." KARMA KICK"... huh.
Yuna just... made the mc play the opening to her ex-bf concert and that... made the ex bf apologize..kind of?
And the mc can just stay in Yuna's house while she leaves huh.
Oh and also she kissed him.
Oh and I guess now Taketo even after the "beat you up and threaten to break your arm" scene in which he acted like a fucking psychopath he's gonna be a chill friend.... sure.
Oh and lastly...FUCKING SWAT TEAM! and "MAMA IS HERE BABY-CHAN!!!"

...wtf is this show.

I'm not trying to say that all that stuff didn't make sense, just that the way everything happened it was VERY distracting from the emotions the story wanted to convey.

But hey, the ED was a banger.
"It took Gramps thirty years to complete his impromptu piece" I'm shocked that in those thirty years he never learned what a fucking impromptu piece is lmao

What a show! I was debating over watching this and not watching this, so decided to watch the first episode to decide. And honestly after watching it, I think I will continue, at least for a bit. When I watch the show, I feel like it hasn't really found its footing yet, but that's because it's the first episode most likely
I think the thing that hooked me was the subversion. This first episode alone made me think they were setting up for a coming of age culture shock anime, but with the charismatic Yuna leaving at the end after a very PACKED episode, I'm left having no idea what could happen next. I think this genre change and semi-character development format can work for the first episode, but I can't think every episode can be like this, right? I enjoyed it, and it's got me hooked, but I have no clue whats going on. Also, I love the artstyle. It's great

I decided to give this anime a try after reading the comments. I'm glad I did. The first episode was quite interesting and I think this has good potential to be a good anime so I'll keep watching it.
But what was with the final scene of the first episode? It felt a bit like it didn't belong there haha but still Setsu and Taketo's reaction was pretty funny

I have several questions about this show from a structural perspective and I'm not entirely sure I'll get them answered without reading the manga. The pacing in this episode felt awfully fast, like it was ticking through everything it possibly could in the first 20 minutes: grandpa's death, music TRAUMA!!, moving to Tokyo, first meetings, ~overcoming music TRAUMA!!~, and then splitting up. But if it's setting up to actually switch storytelling gears away from what I thought was setting up for a more romantic kinda story with the introduction of mom, then maybe it was on purpose and the rest of the show won't be quite so speedy. I hope it's not, no matter how long the manga is, because it was a little too much.

The humor's also a little clunky, not mixing super well with the music TRAUMA!! they had going on there, but I'll be interested in seeing if they get the balance better in future. I hope so, because I picked this series up pretty much entirely because I like another series that the manga's artist is doing that has a good mix of humor and drama going on.

I do think this has promise (plus I just like the sound of the shamisen), so I'll keep watching for now. I'm curious where the story will go from here and I'm a teensy teensy bit tempted to go pick up the manga to find out.

full disclaimer: I watched the first ep while knitting so I might have missed some stuff, but I swear, some scenes in this show feel like they forgot to include a few secs bc they were so disjointed...

overall impression of this first ep was ????? what is going on lmao?
I have a weird relationship with music animes, since as a musician I get incredibly guilty about not having touched my piano/viola/violin for way too long, so I feel like I really related to Setsu's predicament about losing his spark. I think that's where most of our similarities ended, though.

The plot seemed super random at times. Like from when Setsu got beat up by gangsters to him waking up in Yuna's bed, from the jerk boyfriend suddenly becoming pals with Setsu, to Yuna confessing and rejecting in the same moment at the train station, to the last scene with the freaking SWAT team lmao. Did the team that wrote the music/grandpa backstory work separately from the team in charge of the Tokyo plot?? Lowkey feels like a rushed group project, lol.
I think the only part that made sense for me was Yuna quitting the industry (to ...find herself??? I think?) after her experiences with Setsu. I would def be inspired to quit my job and do something different if I met and took in a strange stoic-emo-music boy who stood up for me against my scum-bag boyfriend and played a super moving song that showed me how terrible my life was /s.

Actually, that sounds pretty nice. Where do I have to wander to find one of those?

Lastly, I just gotta mention that I snorted so loud at that "KARMA KICK". like, suddenly we're in a battle shounen now lol?

Last edited:
I did like the first episode and I'm glad I decided to give it a try. But I also felt like too much was thrown into it from the start.
Like how the boyfriend went from a douchebag to an ex to the new love interest's "best friend" in one episode?
I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt though. Maybe the show is going to be short so they needed to set up a lot of different things at once.

gave me a lot of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu early on, but the ending felt like while Gintama, Ranma 1⁄2 old anime vibes

I loved the music. The art reminded me of "Just because". The story was engaging with a lot of deep settled darkness. But yeah they donot take it to the point where it becomes too awkward to handle. There's a sprinkle of a bit of romance, some humour and all too. The characters all have quite well written backstories so far too. Looking forward to how this ends.

What the fuck is this OP, it feels antithetical to the first episodes emotional theme

The fuck she's his mom? fuck. No wonder he is so fucked up.

Also the blatant misogyny of the first song played of 4 seasons of an apple tree being the same as the stages in womens life is like?
Fresh/Unsullied?
The themes of having kids / bearing fruit as the point of women. The metaphorical incest.

HE"S A HIGHSCHOOLER?! WHAT? THE FUCK!? and they set up the living with the other woman as like a setup for a relationship payoff in the future, now her running away makes more sense.

The whole genre of drama music anime kinda never lets the music speak for itself, huh? With animation and music you can tell a story without words, but they never just do that and let it happen.

I only ever got into performing arts sort of genre with Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, but in that anime the performance is almost entirely voice acting, so it doesn't feel as out of place.

That said, the animation style, voice acting the music are all spot on for this show, but fuck the characters all feel like caricatures based on shadows of themselves.

Back