Manga tonally similar to JoJo Part 1 & 2?

xxninja666xx

I'm a huge fan of the "pre-Stand era" JoJo, where the instead of focusing way too heavily on strategic battles using very gimmicky superpowers, it was more of a fun, campy, style-over-substance action romp, filled to the brim with creative humor, morbidly funny ultraviolence, batshit crazy characters, and more cheese than a pot of fondue. I especially adore Battle Tendency in that regard (although Phantom Blood is pretty alright, too). Right now I feel like reading something similar to it, not necessarily in terms of setting, but rather in terms of the general tone and all of the aspects mentioned above. Any recommendations for such manga? Finished and fully translated/scanlated titles only. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes, I've already looked through the recommendation lists for both Part 1 and 2, but it generally appears that I like JoJo for different reasons than all the people who made those recommendations do, so none of them really are what I'm after. That's why I'm looking for more personalized recommendations.

part one took most of its influence from Fist of the North Star.

Also Im not sure what recomendation list you saw, since part one has no recs, and part two has one single vote for FotNS

part one took most of its influence from Fist of the North Star.
Other than the violence and literally all characters having unhumanly amounts of muscle mass, those two couldn't be more different from each other. JoJo is almost like a meta-parody of the shonen genre, while Fist of the North Star is deadpan serious all the time.

Last edited:
Also Im not sure what recomendation list you saw, since part one has no recs, and part two has one single vote for FotNS

That's strange. I saw a full list of recommendations under each one. Maybe it was sort of an automated one, made solely by the use of tags? Cause that would explain all the vampire manga recs under Part 1.

That's strange. I saw a full list of recommendations under each one. Maybe it was sort of an automated one, made solely by the use of tags? Cause that would explain all the vampire manga recs under Part 1.

If there's no "votes" or reasons, they are the supplementary recs

Part 2 does have one user vote for FOTNS.

I read both of these and thought they were generic shounen crap (with vampire elements), and I didn't have any thoughts of similar ones hence not adding any recs myself, so I can't help :p

Other than the violence and literally all characters having unhumanly amounts of muscle mass, those two couldn't be more different from each other. JoJo is almost like a meta-parody of the shonen genre, while Fist of the North Star is deadpan serious all the time.
After finishing pt1 &2 recently I can only think of Fist of the North Star and Gintama.

FotNS: because of the fighting and burly muscle men , also pt3's ora ora ora , is pretty similar to atatatata . I think you could say FotNS is a parody to an extent that the MC is as OP as some of the pt2 characters near the end and it knows it.

Gintama: because it constantly pokes fun of other shounen animes( and mangas) mainly from shonen jump. The main character is the same VA as Joseph Joestar.
The series sometimes have serious plot arcs that introduce or kill of characters and develop characters. Even the filler episodes are well made for the most part.

Edit: I think this Apply more to the animes but it does apply to the mangas too.

Last edited:
Back