Manga Recommendation Database -- please give feedback ASAP

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
I posted a news item last week mentioning I might make a manga recommendation database. The thread got 175 views and only 6 responses. My time is valuable and fleeting, so if I'm going to spend it working on that tool, I need quite a bit more support than this.
I need to know what information should go in the MangaRec (as I don't read manga) -- meaning a consensus from a lot of people -- and also the names of who is willing to help gather this information and write the synopsises. I won't take synopsis info from other sites, just like the AniRec, and I'd need a good amount of the information gathered BEFORE I start work on the tool.
Please read and respond here: click

I don't read a lot of manga, but I would definitely have use for this. Since I'm not all that familiar with manga I wouldn't like to waste my time randomly reading some crap. This is where recommendations would step in. I'm also crappy at writing synopsis and such, but I would definitely help out with gathering other kind of info if/when needed!

About the information, I'd like to see at least some of the following:
- Publisher
- Mangaka
- Number of Volumes
- Release dates for each volume
- Volume names
- Page count for each volume
- A few sample images
- Synopsis (duh! :P)
- maybe some other random interesting info about the manga in question

thank you ripzter :)

the only thing that might be tricky is sample images... i know screenshots are "legal" for anime (at least in theory?) because they are small and such.. i'm not sure if there would be a big copyright stink about scans of pages?

the best i can think of for that m ight be the official cover image, though that would be boring and kind of against the whole "ap has unique info" idea

would you be able to come with a sample for one manga, and show me what the info would look like?

Well, I would be happy enough to have the official cover image of each volume. Even that shows at least a little of the style of drawing used for the manga.

Here's a simple (read: crappy) example of info for a manga:

Title: Ichigo 100%
Mangaka: Mizuki Kawashita
Publisher: Shueisha (Viz Media in the US)
Number of Volumes: 19
Volume information:
- Volume 1: Strawberry headline (2002)
- Volume 2: The dream girl reappears (2002)
- Volume 3: Unmei no kuranku in!? (2002)
- Volume 4: Kisushite hoshii (2002)
- Volume 5: Omoide no Onna (2002)
Synopsis:
Junpei Manaka, sneaking away to the roof of his school one afternoon, witnesses a beautiful girl falling in front of him. Before the girl flees, he catches a glimpse of her strawberry-patterned panties, and it's love at first sight. He also believes that this scene would be perfect in a movie, as it is his dream to be a film director.

Misc information:
There's also been a TV animation and an OVA made out of Ichigo 100%. See here for more info: https://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/942.html , https://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/922.html .

Ok. This is just a simple example of the information. That info is crap btw, synopsis only partly copied from wiki, dates missing etc etc. As I said earlier I think it would be enough to just have people see the cover image for each volume. Maybe this would be accessible by clicking on the volume name?

I wish some other people also would give some feedback to this thread! As I'm not any expert in this area and probably left out some vital information!?!

well if you are gonna create a manga site. please make it seperate from the anime site. I find it a hassle when looking through and both anime and manga are listed together, making search for titles really confusing

Back