Manga Recommendation Database beta - launched!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Woo hoo! After a lot of work, the manga recommendation database is now launched. Please keep in mind this is a beta version - there might be a few lingering bugs.

You can access the MangaRec here. All functionality should currently work - manga search, your personal manga list, browse by tags (for manga), and manga recommendations.

Features/info:
-Keep track of the volumes (tracked by JP release) or chapters you've read for an anime. Note that you can only keep track of chapters OR volumes, not both. For the most part we usually track volumes (for fully completed manga), because we don't have enough staff to keep track of something like chapters for each manga.

-That being said, if you read a ton of manga and would be willing to help keep the entries up to date with chapter counts, please let me know!

-Make recommendations for manga <--> manga

-Find the same high quality info you've been used to on AP; all synopses are hand written and edited. For legal reasons we're only using an image of V1, or for the corner case of one shots, an image from the manga.

Currently the following features are not implemented:

-Manga <-> Anime cross recommendations

-Top 5 manga

-Relations between manga/anime

-Author/artist names. Currently the author/artist names aren't clickable; this wont happen until after v3.0 launch. We don't have a proper people database set up and haven't decided how much effort we want to put into that sort of a thing on AP, so instead of spending a lot of time doing a potentially unused solution now, I decided to not make the names clickable.

-Total chapters/volumes read. Currently we don't keep track of total chapters/episodes read; this is a somewhat tricky feature to add and will require donations to get it built (i'll get a spec in the near future so i know what the amount is).
Also, the CSS isn't perfect and doesn't always look great; this will change for V3.

Help us add more entries!
We only have about 100 titles so far; you can help us add new entries by sending a synopsis in (that's all we need, no screenshots!). Click here for more information.

Last edited:
known issue: 'reading' filter doesn't seem t o work in the personal anime lists; no idea why, investigating

btw, for anyone who appreciates the manga rec, please consider donating. adding the manga rec took another few hundred dollars out of pocket in the last few days to get up and running.

Wow, I didn't expect it to be up! What a nice surprise!! ^-^ Thanks!!

I don't envy the massive job of trying to fill out the database... just one look at some manga sites scares me on the daunting task...

still

very impressed with it already, I'll be making some database synopsis submissions soon... wish I had the funds to actually donate towards the site too :| one of these days...

a few other important 'its not done yet' pieces of functionality:

1. currently the author/artist names aren't clickable; this wont happen until after v3.0 launch. we don't have a proper people database set up and haven't decided how much effort we want to put into that sort of a thing on AP, so instead of spending a lot of time doing a potentially unused solution now, i decided to not make the names clickable.

2. currently we don't keep track of total chapters/episodes read; this is a somewhat tricky feature to add and will require donations to get it built (i'll get a spec in the near future so i know what the amount is).

also i'm going to add this and some more details about how the mangarec works in the first post, right now.

Thank you so much for your hard work. I don't read all that much manga in fact all if have read is Claymore and that is it. Any way thank you for your generosity towards the site and your dedication to Anime and Manga and making a nice place to be. Thank you again. Cameron.

That's awesome! ^^

Though I think I might point out that there's no link to the Manga Rec at the top of the forum pages. =P

Great work once again sothis! :D

The only thing I can see missing is a button at the top of the navigation bar in the forum to link to the MangaRec, since it can be found in the navigation bar everywhere else.

Thank You! This is the best gift of all! I will be adding more synopsis when I get a chance. I'm also looking forward to making recommendations.

Back