Macross Frontier

Lucky dude, that Alto.

Ranka's song gives me goosebumps.
Heard that song before.

The action is very fast. That's a good thing. It still looks good compared to today's anime.

Episode 3:
I guess getting trapped or stranded in an isolated area of a big-ass colony ship will always be a Macross staple. The tuna buns were a nice callback too.

This episode reveals a lot about Ranka and her connections to the Vajra. So the war with the Vajra has been going for years now but I guess the government is doing a somewhat good job of suppressing the information since the Frontier colonists have no idea. That and space is vast after all but still why all the secrecy?

Sugita's character is obviously gonna be up to no good. The character designs is very villian-ish. Still, banging the daughter of his boss gave me a good chuckle.

Episode 4:
Kyuun kyuun~ This episode is pure fan-service. We get a Miss Macross contest which is a direct reference to the original but unlike Minmay Ranka doesn't win. But it's nice to hear Megumi Nakajima's take on the popular "My Boyfriend is a Pilot."

We finally see some Zentradis and despite the years passed after the original, it's interesting to see the Queadlumm Rheas are in still use. I hope we get to see those cool chicken leg pods again. I like those.

Klan Klan is...interesting. Full Zentradi she's a cool and mature woman with huge bazongas but once she goes miclone, she's a loudmouth loli. Weird but I approve.

Well looks like it's Sheryl's turn next episode.

5:

TwakmH0.gif

Being an artist isn't a job it's an identity. Still this is vandalism through and through.

It's a good thing Ranka had impromptu back up for her impromptu performance. I guess the sparkles were just metaphorical, but given the strange avalanche of coincidences here a prepared special effects team wouldn't be out of the question.

Episode 5:

Love triangle is progressing nicely. Despite slowing things down, this was still a strong episode, developing both the two heroines. It's also nice to see Zentradis finally leading productive lives that doesn't involve war.

6:

Yep that asspatting scene was definitely a decade off being a seen as a problem.

Alto really is a wet blanket I must say. I think I would rather have someone with a bit of sense of humor about like Michael as a main character honestly.

Ranka must be a fast runner... did you see how far she had to go to get to the concert hall?

And off we go to battle. (next time)

7:

Felt like watching a good long AMV in parts, which is good for an episode all about action and music.

I won't sweat the deets on how they were able to here the singing all the way into the mothership. I don't think music was being as a battle tactic here so eh.

Also that skinsuit dude piloting a vajra knows Ranka's Aimo. Dundundun.

Episode 6:
Mostly set-up and exposition but we do get a nice scene with Alto and Sheryl. We also get a good first look of the Macross Quarter. It's called Quarter because it's one-quarter the size of a Macross-class vessel hehe.

Episode 7:
Aww yeah baby. This is what I'm talking about. This is what Macross is all about. Intense Valkyrie dog fights, Itano Circus missile massacres and non-stop pop music. We also get a bit of intrigue here with a mystery Valkyrie whose pilot is somehow familiar with a song that only Ranka knows. I mean she already has connections with the Vajra so what's another mystery?

Epic space battles + music = AWESOME!
I've been looking forward to this action.

Ranka's song gives me chills, every time.

Episode 8:
After last episode's epic space battle, it's not surprising that the next one would be more slow-paced. Still, despite being a bit filler-ish, this was a fun and silly episode. The love triangle is gonna be a lot more hectic now that both heroines have transferred to Alto's school.

Episode 9:
Solid episode. Glad we're focusing on side characters this time to give them a bit more depth. Before this episode, Michael was just an okay character to me. He's no Roy Focker but he's likable enough as a supporting character. Now that I know his backstory, he's slowly becoming a favorite.

Grace is super suspicious in this episode. She knows Michael's sister and loves to eavesdrop on Frontier's affairs. Very suspicious indeed.

The mysterious Valkyrie appears again. Is he fighting the Vajra too like the SMS crew or is he covering up something?

8:

It seems as though Sheryl is cosmically linked to Ranka as her number 1 cockblock. So Ranka transferred to the same school as Alto? One-upped by the dastardly diva going to the same program!

This very much flashed me back to one of the Ashford focused Code Geass episodes (you know, the one with the cat?).

Yay, more action! Pew pew, zoom zoom!

... but why not just shoot the nest-ship and leave...
Because it wouldn't have been interesting if it was that simple!

9:

it was a perfectly reasonable episode for establishing Michael's identity moreso than before, but it feels compartmentalized. As if there's bot much left to do with him. Which would be a shame since he is still a more likable dude than the Humorless Princess.

At least he has that giantess pussy on lock

Last edited:
Episode 10:
Wow. The whole episode is nothing but a big Macross Zero fan-service. I mean Zero kinda sucked sweaty donkey balls but I still found this pretty neat. I love it when a mainline series tie-in with sidestory stuff. Not even Gundam could do stuff like this. I mean I'm cool with a few homages here and there but a whole freaking episode devoted to it is kinda mind-blowing for me.

Oh and I find it hilarious the monster that tried to eat Ranka also helped her get her big break.

We also finally have a name for the mysterious Valkyrie pilot and he seems to be some sort of cyborg. Interesting.

The second best thing about this episode is that Ozma reveals Ranka might have a connection to Zero's Mao. So that means she probably left the island after her sister's death and went to space.

What I want to know... who's idea was it to bring a helicopter on a SPACE voyage? This is going to bother me the rest of the episode...

Oh wow, there is a HUGE parallel-spoiler in this episode. I never would have noticed it on a first time watch, but since I've also seen the movie version... I'll just leave it at that.

And Sheryl goes in for the kill, er kiss. (best girl)

Ranka's song = chills

... I've not yet seen Macross Zero... /add-to-planned

10:

This isn't the first time where I've seen a Macross anime spend an entire episode paying homage to the franchises history. One decision made in Macross 7 that surprised me was the choice to integrate Macross: Do You Remember Love? into the Macross canon as a literal movie filmed in the setting. And then later on film a Lynn Minmay Biopic using the main characters. Macross canon is a wonderfully confusing thing.

basaramylenemyboyfriendisapilot.jpg

Frontier here essentially does the same thing with Zero to an amusing level of success. Through filming Bird Human, Ranka finally overcomes the shyness holding her back for the sake of furthering herself as a person and an idol, which is nice to finally see. Seizing oppurtunity and not caring what anyone might say about it is no doubt something she needs to do to close the gap with Sheryl. This episode really does nail home the fact that Ranka at her core is essentially a combination of Mao and Minmay.

Last edited:
Episode 11:
Youch. Poor Ranka. I guess I can't blame Alto since Sheryl's offer is something Alto's been hankering for since episode one - to fly in a real sky. But still poor Ranka. This episode was mostly a set-up for things to come and there's several mentions of a Zentradi military unit which according to Klan still hold a grudge against the humans. Yeah I don't think that's gonna end well.

Of course the biggest reveal is that Grace is the one who's been doing backdoor shenanigans with Sugita's character.

Back