Looking for Lovecraft / Eldritch themes?

Discussion in 'Anime Recommendations' started by Dingbat1991, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Dingbat1991

Dingbat1991 New Member

Is that a such thing in the anime world?

I'm looking for some dark fantasy that's inspired by stories of H.P. Lovecraft or that dabbles into Lovecraftian lore. I've been binging on this kind of stuff lately.

I'm not looking for anything corny, goofy, adolescent protagonists, no school settings or environments. Sort of has a Ghost in the Shell or Psycho Pass maturity level, although Death Note levels are acceptable.

Good luck!

BrainBlow likes this.
  2. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

-I guess Gantz kinda counts, though the anime had a filler ending, and many say the manga just got silly.

-As for anime that deals directly with H.P Lovecraft lore, I don't think there is any at all besides the not-horror Haiyore! Nyaruko-san which is a parody (of sorts) of lovecraft lore. Fails all your criteria.

-Mekaku City Actors was supposed to have some good ol' existential insignificance as a passing theme, but they fucked it up spectacularly with the anime, leaving only the music video source material.

-Parasyte has a teen protagonist and partial school setting, though it does deal with obviously lovecraftian inspired monsters.

-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has at least one arc with themes that are similar, though it ain't gonna satisfy a hardcore lovecraft nerd on that particular itch. That's a hell of a great show that I'd always otherwise recommend, though.

No, what you're looking for is Monster. It has no real supernatural themes, no space monsters, but it has the best villain in anime history, and he feels almost completely intangible and above the world despite being human.
    Monster hits on a ton of the emotions and dread that Lovecraftian horror does: Crushing feelings of smallness, uncaring forces of chaos, existential and identity crises, and an evil that comes across as ever-present and unstoppable/inevitable.
    All that good stuff. I don't really think there's a better match for you.

Fefino likes this.
  3. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Aug 7, 2017
    this would be a really great custom list, if there's more directly related stuff like nyaruko-san

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Aug 8, 2017
    I would also love such an anime.

Really bizarre that there aren't anime that deal with those topics, considering the Japanese excel at that type of horror (see horror games/films).

5. Dingbat1991

Dingbat1991 New Member

Hey man, I'm watching Monster. Not 100% what I was looking for but I'm definitely finding it interesting. Was able to pull off 4 episodes in one night.

Thanks for the rec + the effort you made into that post.

6. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

The further into the story you get, the more it starts to align with your criteria.

7. NervZero

NervZero Member

I am not sure this fits at all to be 100% honest I am kind of swing for the fences on this one with a blind fold on...

Would - Kurozuka fit what you are looking for? http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kurozuka

If this show fits what you are looking for let me know and I will be able to come up with more recommendations... Lovecraft from my understanding is basically supernatural horror with something like non-humans or super humans I get confused on the last part...

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Aug 19, 2017
    Lovecraft is basically existential horror and how worthless and diminutive we are in comparison to the rest of the universe. So no super powered humans, lol.

Case in point, a quote from one of his most popular short stories:

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

His stories also focused on learned/educated men making stupid decisions because "LOL SCIENCE TELLS ME MONSTERS DON'T EXIST", which is a clear criticism (fair or not) of humanity trying to know everything regardless of consequences.

NervZero likes this.
  9. NervZero

NervZero Member

yea i am going to be useless to you... you could find more manga like this I would think or I would like to think... Most anime that fit what you are looking for will have some strange twist to it or an addition of stuff you do not want...

Example might be Ghost Hunt - http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ghost-hunt
    It is a horror but it has some other stuff that will not fit...

Or Another - http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/another
    Again a horror it actually might fit more of what you are looking for but it is not a slam dunk...

A show similar to what you have used as examples might be - this also fits the quote you provided
    Ergo Proxy - http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ergo-proxy

Sorry if I am not help to you but I did learn from you so thank you so much for your response! If you can provide one or two anime that you think fit the cat. you are looking for I know I could help you find more... The three you listed I only thought you talked about those because they were a little more serious... Do those three fit what you are looking for? The more data I have to work with the more use I will be to you...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  10. Tents

Tents Forum Moderator

Posted by Tents on Aug 20, 2017
    I think anime world isn't the best place to look for existential and cosmic horror. I know of no title that truly delves into Lovecraft's idea of scary fucked up shit.

I had a similar urge to look for similar themed anime after playing Bloodborne but no luck.

11. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

12. Tents

Tents Forum Moderator

Posted by Tents on Aug 20, 2017
    NervZero and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  13. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Well, yeah, that's why it took me this long to even remember it existed. I watched it a few years ago when I was on a horror binge.

NervZero and Tents like this.
  14. LuminaryOfTheStars

LuminaryOfTheStars New Member

Berserk includes some Lovecraftian beings towards the end, and further in the manga.
    You should watch it in this order
    1 - 1997 anime episodes 1-19
    2 - Golden Age movie 3 (same story as the last part of the anime but the movie does it more justice in the Lovecraftian department)
    Don't watch the new anime, it's garbage. The manga is great though.

Ebonyslayer likes this.
  15. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

16. Ebonyslayer

Ebonyslayer Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly suggest the 1997 Berserk anime as well as the manga. There are some pretty freaky monsters in the Berserk series that'll scratch that Lovecraftian back for you.

17. Arkthur

Arkthur Well-Known Member

Ebonyslayer and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  18. Paradrip95

Paradrip95 Member

Overlord does this pretty well ... Humans are nothing more than a joke in the series , and the main cast (of monters technically ) are always making them go that's impossible)

Edit : altho i really don't know if it fits

19. somethingwicked

somethingwicked New Member

Oh do I have the one for you. I signed up just so I could tell you. It's called Kuro. Though it's a manga, not an anime. But it's set in a town rather like what Lovecraft would have written about, and the premise is that the animals in this town tend to mutate into eldritch abominations. It starts with the protagonist (a young girl - you did say no adolescent characters, but in this case I think it's immaterial, it's not a high school slapstick highschool soap opera like there are so many of so fear not) and her cat who somehow seems DIFFERENT if you catch my drift.

Also, Brainblow, WRONG. The best villain in anime history is Nakago from Fushigi Yuugi. He owns the keys to that title. He is the mayor of that town.

-edit - it deleted my link! Maybe it won't let me put in links. Go to mangafox and put in "Kuro Somato" into the search bar. The title in the address bar for that series is just kuro_somato.

Ebonyslayer likes this.
  20. youngyn

youngyn New Member

maybe not exactly the realm your looking for, but serious and perhaps philosophical in some sense.
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Hellsing/Hellsing Ultimate
    B: The Beginning
    Dororo (2019)