Little Busters!

Episode 23

LB tries to use FEELS.

FEELS are ineffective.

...this episode was just... devoid of intelligence and feeling, Komari's arc was better than this one and it was pretty bad too, but at least it didn't require from the most contrived story flow ever. Seriously, this episode feels like filler more than most real fillers did.

It seems to me that this arc has more to do with the overall story than just Kud. Just something I noticed in 22. And now that I finished 23 I am sure of it : She was asked if she planned on repeating something then mentions that she is supposed to help Rin and Rikki. Are they reliving something?

Last edited:
^yes in a way
they key part to pay attention to is somewhat the part you picked up
'planned on repeating'
'help Rin and Riki'
i wont say anything more but they are important to story elements.

Thanks Madoka for confirming my suspicions. By the way, I do not believe that I will ever be able to hear "I am in your debt" without busting out laughing for a long time. (Going back to the sleepover)

Last edited:
i loved that sleepover episode, its great xD Best of both choices for the game as well :3

e21

'belka' as 'a name meaning white' is technically correct. it's spelled the same as the word for squirrel so there really isn't any way to tell without knowing the story they're referencing. 'byelaya' is the feminine adjective for white. 'bela' would be a more common name derived from it.

'ctrelka' just means arrow, though. small arrow would be 'ctrelatchka', -tchka being the diminutive feminine suffix.

(yes, arrows are feminine in Russian. take that, Freud!)

e23

this show now exists in a quantum state of being rated at 1 star and at 3, depending on whether it bothers to explain the bullshit that just happened or not.

Last edited:
^The series seems to be relying strongly on 2 elements really:
First> It seems to be leaving all explanation for second season, works for suspense sometimes but i think they wont benefit from it in this case
Second> If it isn't using the first one it seems to assume you have played the visual novel and you will link the 2 seasons together.

Really neither are good to rely on.

Although this is Key, I went into this completely uninformed of the elements of the story. But exactly the fact that this is Key I am not so ill prepared for the eventual reveal that things are not as they seem nor am I unprepared for the drama carpetbombing that will show up sooner or later as I indicated above I have picked up on a couple of things that I found were interesting.

That being said, I have taken a lot of these what the fudge things in stride for example

Nishizono's arc, where the fantasy theme takes root

I'm not throwing a lot of bias at all the WTF elements yet because the series is being deliberate in it's pacing. Someone said it's damn near identical to the entire first of the VN prior to the "refrain" Madoka keeps mentioning, so I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Hell there are too many things in the story so far that I absolutely loved to throw the lack of explanation under the bus. But that's just me.

shadows or reflections coming to life
are common folkloric elements.
taking over the lives of their 'host'
is not uncommon itself.

the power of friendship magically teleporting macguffins and empowering them with here-to-fore unexplained energy
has less of a precedent in such tales. it generally takes a macguffin just to do the
teleporting.

which is the point, really. if you want random crap to happen
so your darling little spacefarer-in-the-making gets to live despite being a derp
I have nothing against that. happy endings are great. but at least make it make sense in universe - or pretend you bothered to try. not just
'WE BELIEVE IN YOU!'
<pop>
'oh look a gear! I am saved because it is GLOWING ORANGE!'
the very idea that someone was actually paid to write this shit offends me.

I'm not throwing a lot of bias at all the WTF elements yet because the series is being deliberate in it's pacing. Someone said it's damn near identical to the entire first of the VN prior to the "refrain" Madoka keeps mentioning, so I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Hell there are too many things in the story so far that I absolutely loved to throw the lack of explanation under the bus. But that's just me.

i wouldn't call it identical... it would be inpossible to do it identical without telling the plot first off as nothing would make sense, in games its easier to change things up.
Either way its only keeping main elements of routes, not identical though it covers what needs to be.
Really the whole plots strong point rests on Rins route.. (not Rin1 which is being played out with these task things, part 2 probably wont be in this season but that's where drama lies), and then refrain which is im guessing a lot of season 2's focus, though if they bodge that up i wont be happy, i don't mind so much for character routes but i don't want to see the main story explanation (aka refrain) ruined.

if that's how the story is presented then all it means is that the show is being faithful to a work that was objectively poorly written.

honestly, Clannad was a big step up from this. whether you like the strange elements in the plot or not, the fact remains that the narrative drops hints that allow you to understand what the fuck happened well before the end if you're paying attention (and maybe employ a bit of lateral thinking).

here we have none of that. it's "shit happened, take it for granted BECAUSE SHE'S ADORABLE
AND ALIVE. what, did you want her to die? HEARTLESS BASTARD! STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!
"

This narrative is dropping hints though and this is where we part ways because my problem with Clannad especially After Story is the fact that there are no surprises.

For the original work, to be honest most of the routes were poorly written with the exception of Rin's. This being rin 1+rin 2+refrain. Don't get mad though since this is subjective.

Anyway so I'm interested as to why people who haven't played the VN picked up on the show? I feel like someone who watched this show as a stand alone without playing the VN, would get almost nothing out of it.

Also this anime has just been full of disappointments for me, but I'm still keeping my hopes up. I mean the studio can't fuck up refrain. Right?? Right........ ;_;

Because it was based on a famous visual novel, much like Kanon (2006) and Clannad which were both decent to good anime. This could have been a good anime, but in the end there are just too many arcs and the emotional investment just isn't there for the characters as well as many unarguably needless dumb moments being copied over directly..

I think people that went in this expecting nothing are probably the ones getting the most out of this anime honestly.

Like I said, most of the people who read the VN and are watching this are really disappointed with this show so you have a point.

However a lot of people watch it and are satisfied enough that the characters they love finally got animated.

If only the show just focused on Rin...

Really the simple version is what Etue is saying, with being so many arcs (especially the connecting link in the VN... i assume its been altered a little due not not having consectutive plays like in a game) it doesn't make it easy but really the actually emotion 'feel' level just isn't working out, not sure myself how i can say to improve it because im not a writer but we need to feel attached more (true its not so easy as the game holds hours of common routes + hours of character specific route to make us attached and whatever so anime are strapped for time).

I actually went into this expecting nothing (i said it before and i will say it again, this was a great story but far to difficult to animate and peoples high standards)... so really i haven't been all to let down by it (afterall... how can one be let down by not having a expectation).

I mean the studio can't fuck up refrain. Right?? Right........ ;_;

If only the show just focused on Rin...

Rin being my favourite... i agree here.
but as long as refrain is good im happy either way because i loved refrain so much ingame... really though i just want that ending
I loved ingame when Rin is sitting on table, so was so damn cute i could of died happy right there.
though i have high hopes for them doing the scene with Rin running around the school, there was a CG on the roof with her and Komari, loved that part.
... in simple i should just say i want refrain to be good. Though honestly i hope Rin 2 is good, c'mon i was hooked on that part in game... ok i just hope Rins is done well, there that saves me time listing it all :')
As long as Rin/Refrain isn't ruined i wont complain.

For the original work, to be honest most of the routes were poorly written with the exception of Rin's. This being rin 1+rin 2+refrain. Don't get mad though since this is subjective.

Anyway so I'm interested as to why people who haven't played the VN picked up on the show? I feel like someone who watched this show as a stand alone without playing the VN, would get almost nothing out of it.

Also this anime has just been full of disappointments for me, but I'm still keeping my hopes up. I mean the studio can't fuck up refrain. Right?? Right........ ;_;

No need to get mad really, this is a discussion. I tend to think those of us who disagree amongst each other have a pretty good track record of mutual respect and previous agreement elsewhere and this thread will be no different.

I do understand where a lot of the negativity is coming from, I truly do. I just don't have a dog in the VN versus the anime fight as I have never played or read the source material. I have no idea who has poorly written routes or who has exceptionally written routes. And I will go further to say that I can see where someone would call Little Busters! pretty banal with nothing happening..but what I know of Key is this shouldn't be the case.

Etue might be spot on, this is appealing to those of us who aren't LB! subject matter experts. I just want to be surprised at whatever is coming. I cannot really answer your question about why I picked up on this..cause it was probably just for wanting to watch something without a reason. I usually stumble on these things that catch my attention for one reason or another.

Etue might be spot on, this is appealing to those of us who aren't LB! subject matter experts. I just want to be surprised at whatever is coming.

though im no expert i feel im still able to enjoy it despite playing the game and spending a long time talking it through on forums, but its down to said in the other post (also by Etue), the ones who don't expect from it can enjoy it more.

The sad side is, people will rage when season 1 finishes (in a week or 2... 3 at a most) because most people only think its one season and will ignore refrain... i hope them people here aren't so dumb though :)
^(not so dumb to rage, that's personal choice, i mean so dumb to think they cut the actual plot out instead of assuming there will be a second series... which has been in a way announced anyway).

Back