Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by chii, Jun 17, 2017.

1. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

I wonder if this is going to actually air this year in fall or sometime in 2018 because it has been a while since it was announced and so far there are no new news about it.

3. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Jun 17, 2017
  4. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

I'm honestly pretty skeptical about this. In my mind there's no probable way that they'll faithfully adapt this 110-episode beast. I fear we'll get a boiled down, unsatisfying package out of the new project.

Crossing my fingers to be wrong, but... ugh, fuck, is it hard to be optimistic about this.

5. Vega

Vega Well-Known Member

Posted by Vega on Jun 17, 2017
    That's a big part of the reason I'm not watching this until I know for sure that they're doing it right. That and I also have a very bad feeling they'll turn all of the space battles into CG shitfests.

Zed likes this.
  6. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Jun 17, 2017
    At the very least, the CGI wouldn't look bad probably. Production I.G. is one of the most top tier studios around, when it comes to the animation department usually.

7. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-cast-staff-promo-video-dates-titles/.121619

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh...

... I guess I CAN get used to the new designs and voice cast, but that's for everyone other than Yang.

Yang feels ass backwards here. Both his design and choice of VA make him look far too young. Moreover, Kenichi Suzumura is not a good pick for him, in my opinion. Suzumura's voice has an inherent note of fairly transparent pride/haughtiness which is like oil and water when paired with humble ol' Yang. I just don't like it in the slightest.

The rest, I can live with. Mamoru Miyano is appropriate enough for Reinhard and his redesign is consistent with his age. Same goes for Kircheis. Everything looks quite pretty and sounds pretty good in general.

I'm far more concerned about the script. Twelve episodes is nothing, NOOOOOTHING for LotGH.

Shikiya, BrainBlow, Zed and 2 others like this.
  8. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Sep 20, 2017
    [​IMG]

Ruined, a 12 episodes series and 3 movies? talk about good pacing, sigh.
    the character designs are awful as well. at least the space battles are not done in cancerous CG

Shikiya and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  9. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

I just hope this is more of a side-story rather than a full-blown remake, because I can't think of a good point to "finish it" (more like ending with a sequel bait) if they follow the main series. Also the lack of moe Reinhart makes me sad.

Zed and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  10. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Sep 20, 2017
    If they're actually planning to cram, all 100-ish episodes in what is equivalent to 24 eps, this is seriously gonna fucking suck pacing-wise. WHAT DA FUQ? Eeeeeeeeeeeeergggh......this one season, and then 3 movies, is also a pretty weird ass format.

And yeah, I'm with Link about Yang's VA choice and design, don't like that one bit. My concerns are at an all time absolute maximum, with this episode count, and I'm pessimistic as hell right now.

Shikiya, Zed, Vega and 1 other person like this.
  11. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

[​IMG]
    probably...

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  12. Vega

Vega Well-Known Member

Posted by Vega on Sep 20, 2017
    Oh god no. NO. I fucking knew they'd pull that shit. I understand that there's going to be 3 movies as well but that's still not nearly long enough, this is gonna be rushed as hell.

ZetsubouKaiji and Zed like this.
  13. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

Eh it's possible. Just cut out 90 percent of the characters, world building and everything else that makes the original good and you can have a hollow shell of the series with its soul ripped out.

Shikiya, Gens, Vega and 2 others like this.
  14. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

from the trailer, the mature tone the original had seems to be more like teen angst in this one.

LinkSword and Vega like this.
  15. Karasune

Karasune Dank Doughnut

Mamo-chan as Reinhard is wonderful. Everything else is disappointing for me.

Not only is the length ridiculous, but the designs are extremely bland. It looks very generic and boring. The length isn't much of a surprise, everything seems to be cut short nowadays, with multiple movies and/or OVAs tacked on, but I wasn't expecting the looks of the characters to be such a letdown.

ZetsubouKaiji and Vega like this.
  16. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel like it would be perfect if it was for a younger Yang, but the voice and even design does make him look like he's 20 rather than 30.
    Then again, maybe the trailer just isn't using the most representative clips. And I guess it simply may be a matter of getting used to.
    I could imagine worse.

Well lets not get spoiled here. Remember that the original series was an OVA series released over nine years. People following it from the start had to deal with getting it drip-fed.
    And season length likely has to do with studio scheduling rotation or something like that is my guess. But if the first season is a success, I certainly expect them to make sequel seasons be significantly longer.

Shikiya likes this.
  17. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

That's kinda missing the point though, which is that within the 12 episodes they have I really doubt they'll settle for following the original series closely. Chances are they'll want to get to some of the more dramatic stuff too quickly, such as
    Kircheis' death, around episode 25 of the original
    in order to make an impact with the audience and be the kind of show people talk about. And in doing so, they'll inadvertently fuck it up, because LotGH isn't the kind of fillerish show where you can just take shortcuts.

I'd be a lot more confident if they had announced two cours to begin with, but with what we do have, my skepticism runs rampant. Also, if the movies recapping these first 12 episodes are scheduled for 2019, then who knows how long it'll take to get the next bunch...

18. renorxukuth

renorxukuth Bronze Supporter

I was hoping for something in the epic category, and alas, it's not appearing to be that way at all. Especially if past commenters are correct. I concur that twelve episodes is barely a dent into the universe, and seems a travesty.

Shikiya, Zed, LinkSword and 1 other person like this.
  19. VanillaCream

VanillaCream New Member

I tried to be optimistic, but my worries for this new adaptation were only furthered when I started my research.

The director, Shunsuke Tada, hasn't done much to impress me—the only show worth noticing was Space Battleship Yamato 2199, and even then he only worked on episode 6 according to ANN.
    Noboru Takagi, the scriptwriter, is much the same as the director for me, except this time there is a glimmer of hope since he worked on Baccano.

As for the art...I think the character design so far is your standard cookie cutter anime. It looks like Kuroko no Basket, but that's a given since Yoko Kikuchi worked on that too. Most important of all, they made a mistake with Kircheis and Reinhard by taking away they're curly hair! That's an egregious mistake—makes the hair play that Reinhard does less appealing!

My sentiments and worries are the same as you guys. There's only so much we can hope for when they're squeezing 110 episodes into 12 episodes for the 1st season and 3 films as the 2nd. Even if they extend each episode to be an hour, I don't think they would accomplish much. Most of the character development and attachment, and plot development will naturally be lost due to the nature of shorter time frame. At the most, all I can really expect of this is for it to be mediocre now.

20. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

Shikiya, Zed and ZetsubouKaiji like this.