Latest Thought 2: 2 Thought 2 Furious

What is the best pizza topping?

• Total voters
I read some of the posts above this morning and had a well smart reply thought out but then went to work and forgot all about it. I think I’ll just say a few things that I thought of though.

Social issues are almost always political issues because they’re either caused by or can be fixed by them. Laws always benefit someone.

Take the one social issue that’s had the most “success” - gender equality in the west (we’re not quite there yet are we, but we’re massively improved on say 100 years ago). What changed it? Protests. Laws. Media inclusion. Did people complain about women in the workplace? Damn right they did. Did they complain when women got lead roles in films? Sure. Did we make it illegal to discriminate against women. Yes. For the most part it has changed, but it’s not full equality. Like I said, an improvement on 100 years ago though, and there’s still fights to be had and won.
People still complain when women are on tv shows and films. But we still keep pushing.

Now LGBT+++ and race and ableist laws are all more recent. Representation in media is even more recent (especially differently abled people and trans/non-binary threads of the LGBT+ population). We have to keep pushing because put simply positive exposure (ie stop making people the villains) and education makes a difference to those people. Representation matters. Seeing yourself in a story matters. Relating to a good character that is also [insert personal thing] makes you feel included the same way white cis men have been their whole damn lives, for generations.

I’d also like to say that I’m pretty sure when Lara Croft came out there was people complaining she was female, but since I was a kid I can’t remember. Also remember the outrage that they reduced her boob size? Because pandering to the male cis gaze is all she was - not a nuanced character that didn’t need huge boobs to be whatever it is she does…

Friendly reminder that awhile back I stated that we don't have many forum mods and don't have the capabilities to moderate political posts, and thus we asked folks to not make political posts in here, else the alternative was we'd lock this thread. It's disappointing to see this is still going on.

The other alternate is banning folks from posting who keep making political posts, which we'd do across the board. That's more onerous than simply locking the thread, so it's unclear which will be done.

I've asked a few folks to let me know when political/left vs right/conspiracy theory stuff gets posted again so that one of the few mods can take action. This is the final warning.

Also just to be clear, talking about LGBT rights or stuff like that isn't political (human rights != political issues, or at least they shouldn't be) is fine. I realized my post may have sounded like it was in response to Nitro's post just above mine, which it isn't.

Going off on politicians, snowflakes or other dog whistle slogans/words, that sort of stuff = no

Going off on politicians, snowflakes or other dog whistle slogans/words, that sort of stuff = no
Does this include the discussion about the comedian, since it started with a post about him aligning with TERFs? Like, if talking about LGBT issues is fine, where is the line between that and politics?

Does this include the discussion about the comedian, since it started with a post about him aligning with TERFs? Like, if talking about LGBT issues is fine, where is the line between that and politics?

I don't have a good answer, but that's generally why the original post said blanket ban. We don't have mods to make this sort of subjective call atm

I don’t usually reply to you these days (if you haven’t noticed), but I feel like I can answer somewhat. There is a definite difference between discussions on race, lgbt and other social issues**, and argumentative left v right type posts (like that of another user I have on ignore, I only pressed view to see what sothis was on about).
One is an actual discussion and sharing of opinions touching on issues that affect us as real people while the other is purposefully inflammatory especially since the users involved know that it will get a angry or contrary response from a few of the other users (myself included every now and then).

*while I think they’re political personally, they can be discussed on the edge of politics without throwing parties in

Also very glad you didn’t mean me here @sothis

I don’t usually reply to you these days (if you haven’t noticed), but I feel like I can answer somewhat. There is a definite difference between discussions on race, lgbt and other social issues**, and argumentative left v right type posts (like that of another user I have on ignore, I only pressed view to see what sothis was on about).
One is an actual discussion and sharing of opinions touching on issues that affect us as real people while the other is purposefully inflammatory especially since the users involved know that it will get a angry or contrary response from a few of the other users (myself included every now and then).

*while I think they’re political personally, they can be discussed on the edge of politics without throwing parties in

I guess so. I actually forgot Grendel even commented, I must have blocked out the memory of seeing his post knowing that the discussion would probably take a nosedive into salt-town once I saw it, and I was just going to abandon the thread at that point lol

LT:
My doorbell suddenly rings in the evening. And I've not gotten any message that anyone would come, nor did anyone use the apartment complex buzzer to be let in.
(Well, I just freeze and wait for them to leave)

Ed: displayed the wrong video

Yeah, I'm kind of tired personally with random people when they go "oh that's too political, so I hate it" to be completely dismissive of human rights issues like they don't matter at all, because they do matter a lot. Demanding some basic empathy and respect shouldn't be controversial.

Yeah, I'm kind of tired personally with random people when they go "oh that's too political, so I hate it" to be completely dismissive of human rights issues like they don't matter at all, because they do matter a lot. Demanding some basic empathy and respect shouldn't be controversial.
Talking about LGBT issues as human rights should be fine, like sothis said, it's just that, if you bring up X group of people or Y person who doesn't agree with you, it feels like it immediately becomes political because of course there will be people who agree with your viewpoint but still want to defend or also attack who you're attacking, and then it starts something that always leads to political arguments.

I think that's where the line should be. I should talk about the issues themselves, but I won't mention other groups or figures in media who I'm against on the issue, and I wouldn't bring up my opposition, because that's where it gets political I think.

That's how I'd handle not letting it get political at least.

I’d also like to say that I’m pretty sure when Lara Croft came out there was people complaining she was female, but since I was a kid I can’t remember. Also remember the outrage that they reduced her boob size? Because pandering to the male cis gaze is all she was - not a nuanced character that didn’t need huge boobs to be whatever it is she does…
Truly the epitome of hawtness back in the day:

qhX1Opj.jpg

Polygon tits, lmao........

I liked snowflakes I my favourite one is

btw the traditional meaning of left is "those who stand for the poor and working-class"
the traditional meaning of right is "those who stand for the right and privileges of the ruling class"

fact is when using those meanings America has NO left! and the American mainstream left is actually Right!
the neocons and neolibs are just 2 cheeks on the same ass!
and the squad are sheepdogs who are only there to keep disgruntled democrats voting democrat by promising reform, reform that never actually come's!
but heyho! vote blue no matter who right!
oh wait uncle joe has tanked the country in just 8 months, i guess vote blue no matter who aint as good as its cracked up to be!
Yeah.. kinda... either way Tom MacDonald is pretty awesome.

You may also enjoy Samson

the Google Drive desktop app requested i install kb3033929, so i did, and that got the Google Drive app to work, but the Dropbox desktop app that was working fine before is now throwing 0xC0000005 at me, whatdoido?

EDIT: uninstalling kb3033929 did nothing other than breaking the Google Drive desktop app. uninstalling Dropbox wasn't working, so i manually deleted it. and i can't reinstall it because 0xa0430722.

Last edited:
Back