Latest Thought 2: 2 Thought 2 Furious

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZetsubouKaiji, Jan 16, 2016.

?

What is the best pizza topping?

1. Ham

13.4%
  2. pepperoni

30.7%
  3. Chicken

13.4%
  4. Beef

5.5%
  5. Pork

2.4%
  6. Long Pork

3.1%
  7. Onions

9.4%
  8. Peppers

13.4%
  9. Pineapple

23.6%
  10. Spinach

9.4%
  11. Anchovies

3.1%
  12. Bacon

14.2%
  13. Just cheese

21.3%
  14. Olives

12.6%
  15. Mushrooms

20.5%
  16. I don't know what pizza is

7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. howtoprocrastinate

howtoprocrastinate Well-Known Member

I'm learning a lot today. Did you take the AICE,(Cambridge Exams), tests? FL is either one or the only state that dies it in the U.S. at my high school, we take AICE General Paper in 9th grade and 3 AICE classes each in 10th and 11th grades.

2. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

Based on a survey? That's new. How does that work exactly? Usually, everyone has to take the same basic core classes/generals before they major, or does your uni do a more focused approach?

3. Vega

Vega Well-Known Member

I've never been to college/university but this sounds like a very strange method... wouldn't this screw over people with more specific goals?

4. howtoprocrastinate

So, we filled out a survey on what classes we would be interested in taking for our general educations classes, and they take in account our majors. Although, they messed up a some people's schedules and we only had 15 minutes with our academic advisors. Due to it being online, it was more confusing than it should be.
    Yeah, it does. While they try to take in account majors, their schedule may need to be rearranged to fit in pre-requisites or they just can't get in that semester. You also don't get a chance to talk to your academic advisor that much. They can schedule meetings with them, but it's a bit messy.

5. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Can’t say I’m exactly surprised when Florida is such a weird ass place......

6. Akishima

That actually doesn't sound too bad- unless you have absolutely no idea what you're going to major in. I think I was always a bit disappointed with school advisors- I was looking for someone to give me some guidance on what I wanted to do for a career, but basically all they did was make sure I was taking the right classes at the right time to graduate on time. That's certainly important and never skip going to your advisor at least once a year, but figuring out what you want to do is pretty much left up to you.

7. howtoprocrastinate

Yeah, I feel bad for the people with undeclared majors. It really sucks for the people that weren't able to met with the advisors due to not having the drug, alcohol, etc. online courses done for orientation.
    I mean, my junior orientation leader told us don't have crack parties on campus and told us a parking lot that we could go to. Another orientation leader talked about weed. FL's weird, but my hometown is just boring. Well, our old neighbor used to wrestle gators in the backyard, but that's really it.

8. Vuh

Vuh Well-Known Member

I can't even remember what my orientation was like. I'm pretty sure I zoned out and stopped paying attention after they made us sit in the stadium and learn the school song/dance. That was a gigantic waste of time.

I loved orientation after I started working for the university, though. So much leftover free food that we could eat/take home after all the freshmen and their parents were done with it.

9. Akishima

Wut, you have to do drug & alcohol orientation? That's so weird. I certainly don't remember any mention of campus life outside of what classes to take. Then again, I never lived on-campus and transferred to university after getting my Associate's degree at a local community college. I suppose it's a completely different animal if you live in the dorms though. I learned about who to call if I had issues from the posters on the bulletin board and in the bathroom. It has been a decade since I went to college though.

10. howtoprocrastinate

They decided to do skies on like why to study instead of partying or something like that. I just remember in one of the skits a kid calls his mom and his mom just responds the way adults do in Charlie Brown. It was rather cringey.
    They were online modules where you took a pre-test where you needed 7 out 10 question right to pass and about an hour to finish all three on drugs, alcohol, and consent. After that, you needed to pass the post-test to see what classes you were registered for.

11. Akishima

Ok, that's just weird. Then again, I transferred to university after getting my associate's degree at a local community college, so maybe I skipped all that. Idk. Anyway, don't stress- everyone freaks out the first couple of weeks, but then you settle into things. If I had to do college over, the only things I'd do differently would be to try out more clubs and do at least one internship. Because it is possible to graduate and still not know what you want to do. However, sounds like you have a better idea than I ever did.

Oh, and crocodile-wrangling neighbor is hilarious. I used to hate being from the boonies, but now I realize I was kind of lucky.

12. SilentBookworm

SilentBookworm Well-Known Member

One reason I think I can't really wrap my head around far right ideology and the reason I haven't really bought into Communism or Anarchism is because such ideologies are predicated on the idea that a utopia did/does exist and is achievable but I personally think that every person has some kind of flaw nor can they fully live up to an ideal thus a utopia created by a human system is always doomed to either be imperfect or brief before being corrupted by greed, ambition or what have you.

13. Akishima

In other words, you've got your head on straight and actually see the world for what it is, not what you'd like it to be. If only people could find some middle ground, I think a lot of our social problems would sort themselves out- as much as they can, at least. This extreme ideological dichotomy we have going on in the US at least is defeating the purpose of the system. Alas, it seems to be in human nature to tend toward extremes.

14. Vuh

Vuh Well-Known Member

God, I'm having flashbacks to the shitty, mandatory online trainings and refreshers in the military. There was one fucking module about cybersecurity that looked like it was made by a teenager currently experimenting with wine and Xanax and you had to take it every year otherwise you'd get a negative counseling from your command. Then there were the bimonthly "don't rape people" and "don't do drugs" meetings.

15. SilentBookworm

Indeed although I think that's mostly because humans really love sorting things into categories and anything that makes their ego feel good which unfortunately is easily manipulated by the current toxic ecosystem of echo chambers, bad faith actors (or flat out grifters) and fringe media outlets gaming social media algorithms to lure people in and feed their confirmation bias.

16. Akishima

I'll just leave a virtual thumbs-up here.

17. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

That's actually hilarious..........I don't think I really even partied or anything though in university. I was there to study and work my ass off which is what I paid for, not to goof off everyday.

On the topic of categories, it's more about being right these days than even trying to understand what the other person is saying which is why so little progress is made. It's just depressing honestly.

18. SilentBookworm

That goes back to the the ego feeding aspect I mentioned, they feel they're right because their social media clique talk about how right they are, the YouTubers and Twitter users they follow tell them they're right and FreedomEagle.com posts articles showing how right they are, so how can they be wrong?

19. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

20. RogueLynx

RogueLynx Well-Known Member

took a bit of Googling to determine that this AICE thing is not the same as what i took, the GCE "A" level. as someone who took the GCE, i didn't have any compulsory subjects and just took bio, chem and physics. no compulsory subjects other than English General that is, which doesn't actually count for anything.