Latest Thought 2: 2 Thought 2 Furious

What is the best pizza topping?

• Total voters
Having a bit of conflicting feelings towards continuing to purchase from the Right Stuf, on the one hand they very likely need the business considering what is currently going on but on the other hand their employees probably shouldn't be working plus I fear I may be adding on to the already overburdened postal system.

Oh also apparently the postal system might straight up not exist in a few months.

I knew the USPS was in trouble, but I didn't know it was that bad. That's incredibly disturbing. I guess being a government agency is the only way that they can even operate at such a deficit or the cost of postage would be astronomical. And yet, other package delivery services are able to make a profit and deliver to most places, so what's gone wrong with the USPS's business model? Is it just that they will deliver to absolutely anywhere- even the most isolated places? Hmm.

I knew the USPS was in trouble, but I didn't know it was that bad. That's incredibly disturbing. I guess being a government agency is the only way that they can even operate at such a deficit or the cost of postage would be astronomical. And yet, other package delivery services are able to make a profit and deliver to most places, so what's gone wrong with the USPS's business model? Is it just that they will deliver to absolutely anywhere- even the most isolated places? Hmm.

Actually the reason why the postal service has been in financial straights is because in 2006 the (Republican-led) Senate passed a bill which stipulated that they pre-pay their retirement benefits up to 50 years in advance.

Hmm. Even from that one article, it sounds like the situation is complicated, which I would expect. Seems the pre-paying was considered necessary so the USPS could actually provide benefits to all the employees who will be retiring in the next few years without relying on taxpayer dollars and without becoming even more in the hole than they already are. It looks like a partial solution would be ending Saturday mail and probably some other perks like that that people probably don't want to give up, but aren't strictly speaking necessary.

Or, you know, they could cut workers benefits, but if they did that, they'd probably have a strike on their hands. I still think the biggest problem is the ridiculous cost of healthcare- they figure that the workers will contribute to their retirement over their career and it's supposed to balance out since some people won't live long after retirement and some won't use the benefits- but with the cost these days, it wouldn't take many people with hospital bills to easily outstrip the amount that's been put into the system- and according to this article, they're expecting some 250,000 employees to be eligible for retirement in the next few years. Then again, what do I know about this? Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I've almost got the full set of Studio Series Transformers Constructicons and that's got me pooping my pants in excitement. Only two more to go and I will combine them into the big boi devastator. Considering the size of the ones I already have, the fact that there's two more big ones to come is gonna mean this thing is going to be absolutely gargantuan.

Hyped

WAM: Mojang is refusing to let me buy Minecraft for some reason... tried Visa and Mastercard, two different banks,two different days, keeps saying "an error occurred" when one tries to confirm the purchase. they suggest trying with a different browser on their troubleshooting page...

LT: I've had four days off, and I'm at the point where I'm suddenly realizing my weekend is over and I spent most of it bingeing British detective shows instead of anime. Of course, this was intentional because I was feeling burnt out and needed a break. So little time, so much I want to do with it. How much anime can I cram into the next two hours? Hmm.

MFTD: How many weeks in quarantine has it been already? 4? 5? Honestly, I feel like I'm slowly going mad.

Decades man, it's been decades. I wonder how people are going to react when quarantine is finally over. I know going back to work full-time is going to be hellish.

*is still working full time* Yeah it’s gonna be soooo different :cereal:

Didn't they reduce how many hours your store is open to the public though? I suppose you'll be glad to have things normal again. As will I- just, it's gonna be an adjustment going back to working 40 hours a week and especially getting up at 6:00 AM. I'm not a morning person.

Work finally decided that we can sell compost again, but I'll have to explain everything very clearly when people call, have them write out a check and then give them a punch card and receipt through the mail slot on our front door. It's clunky and today is going to be interesting.

Didn't they reduce how many hours your store is open to the public though? I suppose you'll be glad to have things normal again. As will I- just, it's gonna be an adjustment going back to working 40 hours a week and especially getting up at 6:00 AM. I'm not a morning person.

Work finally decided that we can sell compost again, but I'll have to explain everything very clearly when people call, have them write out a check and then give them a punch card and receipt through the mail slot on our front door. It's clunky and today is going to be interesting.
Yeah they reduced it to 9-5 opening, instead of 9-8. But I still work 8:30-5:10 (instead of 8:30-5:40) because of preopening and closing tasks. So I’m working 2.5 hours less a week than I used to be. The only real perk I’m getting is that traffic is so light I can get to work quickly in the morning, I don’t have to set off at 8am. I can leave at 8:20 and be there with enough time to do banking, pre opening health and safety tasks, and check memos.

Yeah they reduced it to 9-5 opening, instead of 9-8. But I still work 8:30-5:10 (instead of 8:30-5:40) because of preopening and closing tasks. So I’m working 2.5 hours less a week than I used to be. The only real perk I’m getting is that traffic is so light I can get to work quickly in the morning, I don’t have to set off at 8am. I can leave at 8:20 and be there with enough time to do banking, pre opening health and safety tasks, and check memos.
Meanwhile, I'm still working my normal shifts and the girlfriend is sitting next to me, absolutely bored out of her brain. She even said, "I actually am starting to miss work".

What she is really saying is that she just wants to get away from me... hehe

Been curious about what the divorce numbers will look like when this is all over.

Been curious about what the divorce numbers will look like when this is all over.

I wish this were just a cute joke, but here in good old 'Merica the domestic abuse hotlines are blowing up. There isn't enough room in shelters because of social distancing guidelines. This thing is fucking us in ways that no one would think of.

I wish this were just a cute joke, but here in good old 'Merica the domestic abuse hotlines are blowing up. There isn't enough room in shelters because of social distancing guidelines. This thing is fucking us in ways that no one would think of.
Same in the UK, there was a 700% rise in domestic abuse calls in one police area. I can't even begin to imagine that kind of hell.

The domestic abuse numbers will be insane over here in New Zealand too. Sadly, it was a huge thing in the '80s and '90s, I'm sure it is still a big thing in some of the poorer parts of the city here where you have small homes with giant families living in them.

An american friend quit his job because he was starting to feel uncomfy about all the liquor that was being sold. Customers weren't patient at all, rude and just very demanding. Alcohol, people on edge and locked up in a house... not great combos for sure.

Meanwhile, I'm still working my normal shifts and the girlfriend is sitting next to me, absolutely bored out of her brain. She even said, "I actually am starting to miss work".

What she is really saying is that she just wants to get away from me... hehe

Ah but you’ve always worked from home haven’t you, so it’ll be no change for you.
The girlfriend was non-essential retail wasn’t she? When you’re used to being out 5 days a week, staying in isn’t fun.
Books, jigsaws, movies and anime, as well as exercise and social media (including this place) help.

It’s the dark side of humanity coming to light in this situation. Times like this I’m glad I moved back in with my parents.

Customers weren't patient at all, rude and just very demanding.

You're telling me. My store doesn't even have liquor and people are still going fucking apeshit. Some woman tore down the barricade we'd made to keep customers out of the frozen section while we're restocking it today. Our supply chain is all sorts of fucked up. Either we get no load/tiny load or a massive, multi-truck load. There's no middle ground anymore. I unloaded 30 grocery pallets overnight on Monday and today we unloaded 11 frozen pallets. The shit people are hoarding now isn't even necessary. Like...three pallets of the frozen load were just ice cream. Two pallets on Monday were candy. It's ridiculous.

MFTD:

How many weeks in quarantine has it been already? 4? 5? Honestly, I feel like I'm slowly going mad.
Making me nostalgic here, I wanna see this movie again. I got tired of it after seeing it eleven times in a row when it came out but damn, it's still a good one

Back