Latest Thought 2: 2 Thought 2 Furious

What is the best pizza topping?

• Total voters
But if you’ve already found the correct information, why not share it and make the database more accurate?

On the small scale I do when I come across it, but again if I updated every detail of every show I watched I wouldn't have any time to watch shows to know what needs updating. :p
Again, that's reactive anyways and is why so much is incomplete.

On the small scale I do when I come across it, but again if I updated every detail of every show I watched I wouldn't have any time to watch shows to know what needs updating. :p
Again, that's reactive anyways and is why so much is incomplete.
Not really my forte. I’m a mod for the forums and that’s all. I don’t even watch anime enough to notice issues in the DB.

Not really my forte. I’m a mod for the forums and that’s all. I don’t even watch anime enough to notice issues in the DB.

For what it's worth... you're one of my favorites. ^-^
Do you know if the Contact Us goes directly to the big boss person by chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth... you're one of my favorites. ^-^
Do you know if the Contact Us goes directly to the big boss man by chance?
I don’t know if it’s exclusively to her, it may be to her and a few of the ones who do the most in depth work, but yes I believe that’s where they go.

LT: Hyakki Yakoushou is one of my favorite manga, and I found out they have a live action show for it- sadly, the claim of English subs was a lie, so I've been watching it in its native form. I can get the gist of what's going on because I've already read the stories and understand some of the dialogue, but it's so frustrating not having subs. This series really needs an anime, but the jdrama is probably why it doesn't have one.

MAL is certainly not the kind of community I'd ever want to be a part of. The amount of, this anime is overrated topics over there are insane. Fuck that. Community > everything else.

I swung by their casual, general section the other day and within the first 15 topics, one was something to the tune of "why do women pretend to like anime?!" and two were "are there any moments when it's alright to be racist?"

I won't speak poorly of their database itself, but that community is a cesspool for incels, bigots, and just generally toxic people. I'm sure there are plenty of good people, but I need a community moderated by level-headed people who understand why inclusivity and empathy are important, and that's why baby set up shop here <3

I swung by their casual, general section the other day and within the first 15 topics, one was something to the tune of "why do women pretend to like anime?!" and two were "are there any moments when it's alright to be racist?"

I won't speak poorly of their database itself, but that community is a cesspool for incels, bigots, and just generally toxic people. I'm sure there are plenty of good people, but I need a community moderated by level-headed people who understand why inclusivity and empathy are important, and that's why baby set up shop here <3

I actually went through a few pages on their forum yesterday. There is some serious Eddie "look-into-it" Bravo kind of conspiracy shit going on... haha

Tell us how you really feel GTO.
I LOVE Y'ALL AND APPRECIATE THE WORK YOU DO!!!!
G5h9IqK.gif

Because it'd literally be a full time job without pay to take care of everything that needs to be done.
We rely too heavily on user input as it is. It's too much reactive and not enough proactive changes.
(At least that's the perception from this side.)
I'd be happy to commit 40, even 80 hours a week to updating everything (including stuff I've never heard of or would never watch), research everything from said sources, etc. if it'd pay my bills in a heartbeat though.

I think you need to think about what you're saying before you post. You may not intend to but some of the messages you've posted today could hurt some people's feelings. Sure the database isn't perfect, but remember that's it's a site run entirely by volunteers, anime/manga fans like yourself, and not many either, like 20 total? All of the database mods work extremely hard, every single day to keep the database up to date. You're right when you say it'd literally be a full-time job without pay, and those 20 or so mods still do it, so that people like me and you can use the website. It may not look like it to you, but a lot of pro-active work goes into the site including planning who's assigned to what seasonals in each area; assigning tasks for older anime that needs further information added, site-design/development plans months in advance. The time taken to complain about the database could be a bit more information added to the site to help it improve. This site is a labour of love and anyone and everyone can be part of that if you embrace it.

I think you need to think about what you're saying before you post. You may not intend to but some of the messages you've posted today could hurt some people's feelings. Sure the database isn't perfect, but remember that's it's a site run entirely by volunteers, anime/manga fans like yourself, and not many either, like 20 total? All of the database mods work extremely hard, every single day to keep the database up to date. You're right when you say it'd literally be a full-time job without pay, and those 20 or so mods still do it, so that people like me and you can use the website. It may not look like it to you, but a lot of pro-active work goes into the site including planning who's assigned to what seasonals in each area; assigning tasks for older anime that needs further information added, site-design/development plans months in advance. The time taken to complain about the database could be a bit more information added to the site to help it improve. This site is a labour of love and anyone and everyone can be part of that if you embrace it.

While hurt feelings certainly is never my intent, I no longer sugar coat shit.
It helps no one.
Besides, my complaint isn't ANY individual staff, as I'm aware that it's not their fault, but the site itself.
If their feelings get hurt then that's on them.
They are doing their best, but changes could be made to help make things easier on them as well as improving things around here overall.

This site can continue what its doing unchanged and this site will continue to remain mediocre at worst/quasi-equal at best. But if that's the case I'd really like to see less of the whole "this site is so much better" or "why are you using competitor sites" from the staff when, in fact, it's not better at all. That sort of elitist shit pisses me off.
Alternatively they can change the approach from the past twelve years that's left them barely keeping up.

This site has so much potential to ACTUALLY be the #1 go to anime site.
But a LOT of changes need to be made.
Not just database wise but there's so much inefficiency in the UI, redundancy, and how things are managed.

Why should anyone (members, staff, and above) settle for average?

It’s still rather mundane, but the experience was like something out of a comedy skit.

The automatic feature broke on my door on NYE. One side just stopped moving. I put the door on manual and moved one side fully over to allow access for customers and thought “hey it’s no trouble I can still lock up, and get someone out on Thursday”.
Comes to 6pm. Doors won’t align with the alarms so the alarm won’t set. I call my area manager and explain to her that I can either get an emergency locksmith out on NYE evening or lock up and leave the alarm off. We went with leave alarm off, and alert the park security that we were secure but not alarmed. However, the bottom locks wouldn’t come home either. Turns out the whole doors were 2cm out of location, but by this time I thought, fuck it. The middle locks done. The stock room door is locked, the office is locked and the back door is locked, and we have 24/7 security.

So on Thursday I get a same day call out, the guy has a look and says to fix the automatic it needs to be done out of hours as he’ll be blocking the doors. I said what about just getting it lined back up so we can secure the doors? He had a look and said sure it’s just jumped a rung on the chain, and he starts fiddling with it. Trying to get it to jump over. The two glass doors collided with more force than usual and just shattered into a few billion pieces, landed on top of the guy while I just stood there in a great imitation of scream face emoji.
It took an hour to clean up and I now have temporary wood doors which are both unattractive and inconvenient.

I really hope that guy is okay, that sounds painful and getting cut by glass shards scattering everywhere, yikes Nitro. R.I.P. doors.
I LOVE Y'ALL AND APPRECIATE THE WORK YOU DO!!!!
G5h9IqK.gif
CHEERS TO THE BEST OWL AROUND:

giphy.gif

LT: How can I be enjoying a show so much when I can't understand 90% of the dialogue? I really wish there were subtitles, but it's so good even without them.

Alright, what show is this.

Now I'm curious.

It's a Jdrama called Hyakki Yakoushou based on the manga of the same name. It's a darker take on the supernatural genre- think like a cross between Natsume's Book of Friends and Mushishi. I don't know how much sense it would make without reading the manga, but the drama is really well-done.

Because anime is a boys thing, girls should just watch... like, non-anime shit amirite fellow male who clearly watches anime? I have nothing for the second one. Or second two, because that is WHITE bananas. Hah! I mean yellow bananas, unless there are actually white bananas that are white on the outside and not just on the inside without being completely rotten or some shit.

But you got me interested in how deviant they are so I checked out a page or two of their forums 2.5 hours after you because I admire your bravery and I want to be like you sempai. And to ask you some unrelated questions.

1. Are you a deviant in public?
2. How would you get away with murder? justaskingforafriend- i mean myself- i mean i am totally not going to kill you to steal your secrets
3. What's your opinion on traps?
4. Incest.
5. Do you think a family member is hot? Totally different from #4 but on the same page.
6. Some other one that has two topics with no correlation but somehow makes me feel... uncomfortable in posting. But isn't incest.

While hurt feelings certainly is never my intent, I no longer sugar coat shit.
It helps no one.
Besides, my complaint isn't ANY individual staff, as I'm aware that it's not their fault, but the site itself.
If their feelings get hurt then that's on them.
They are doing their best, but changes could be made to help make things easier on them as well as improving things around here overall.

This site can continue what its doing unchanged and this site will continue to remain mediocre at worst/quasi-equal at best. But if that's the case I'd really like to see less of the whole "this site is so much better" or "why are you using competitor sites" from the staff when, in fact, it's not better at all. That sort of elitist shit pisses me off.
Alternatively they can change the approach from the past twelve years that's left them barely keeping up.

This site has so much potential to ACTUALLY be the #1 go to anime site.
But a LOT of changes need to be made.
Not just database wise but there's so much inefficiency in the UI, redundancy, and how things are managed.

Why should anyone (members, staff, and above) settle for average?

Having ideas on how to improve the site is fine, changing the wording from having a go at the staff to the "site" is a bit odd though since the site is shaped by the staff and users. And when I say users, I mean users. The site has a forum section for feature requests, bug reports etc which the staff regularly read and reply to.

Probably best for you to collect your ideas, annoyances etc and post constructively in there? Help shape the site rather than just post abuse about it in an irrelevant topic?

Because anime is a boys thing, girls should just watch... like, non-anime shit amirite fellow male who clearly watches anime? I have nothing for the second one. Or second two, because that is WHITE bananas. Hah! I mean yellow bananas, unless there are actually white bananas that are white on the outside and not just on the inside without being completely rotten or some shit.

But you got me interested in how deviant they are so I checked out a page or two of their forums 2.5 hours after you because I admire your bravery and I want to be like you sempai. And to ask you some unrelated questions.

1. Are you a deviant in public?
2. How would you get away with murder? justaskingforafriend- i mean myself- i mean i am totally not going to kill you to steal your secrets
3. What's your opinion on traps?
4. Incest.
5. Do you think a family member is hot? Totally different from #4 but on the same page.
6. Some other one that has two topics with no correlation but somehow makes me feel... uncomfortable in posting. But isn't incest.
Shitposter Supreme, I'm such a fan of your work and respect the lengths you go to for research. You're my hero academia.

LT

Amazon customer service has gone to absolute shit ever since they completely outsourced it, even during US hours.
Frustrating wasting time with agent number one only to inevitably get transferred around until finally someone gives a flying f*.

I dunno man, in lieu of recent events with Elitest mentality mods here I've been tempted to jump ship and use their site and just stay away from the community. AP's community is usually otherwise great, but you have to admit its database is extremely lacking or straight up wrong on way too many titles. Shouldn't have to need 3+ difference sources just to get the tiniest information needed. Especially since they've been around, what, 12 years now?

Because it'd literally be a full time job without pay to take care of everything that needs to be done.
We rely too heavily on user input as it is. It's too much reactive and not enough proactive changes.
(At least that's the perception from this side.)
I'd be happy to commit 40, even 80 hours a week to updating everything (including stuff I've never heard of or would never watch), research everything from said sources, etc. if it'd pay my bills in a heartbeat though.

I do want to say that the perception of mod work here isn't accurate. Very little of the database changes are made by user input. I'd say less than 5% of changes or additions are made are due to users (unless you expand your definition of users to include mods I suppose haha).

The mod teams do a lot of intense work behind the scenes, both to keep things up to date with current titles and to fill in information on older titles. Anime is constantly being made, and almost all database pictures (excluding user input) have been directly taken by mods. External sources or just blindly applying info from other places doesn't happen. That's a lot of work.

If you think about one mod team trying to fill in the entirety of characters and both watch and read every title out there, you can perhaps begin to understand why user contributions are open. Mods do a lot of work (free of charge), but it's impossible for them to have watched every anime out there.

...Also I'll say a big factor as to why I moved to a-p is it has a much much better manga database and character database than competitors especially since MAL has stalled updating the database for a very long time now. If you've tried submitting info to MAL, you'll find they respond much slower. I won't get into all the reasons I left MAL or discuss the site too much, but there are many major reasons I left and they include both the community and the database.

Back