Large new batch of character tags: non-binary gender, elemental powers, waiters, and more!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Aug 6, 2019.

1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Aug 6, 2019
    You're probably familiar with the frequent announcements of new anime and manga tags. Today we've launched a large amount of new character tags as well! Character tags can be helpful to try to remember an anime you've seen when you only remember something about the cast, for finding cosplay ideas, or simply for finding another title to watch or read.

As a reminder, you can post suggestions for characters that are missing specific tags, in the update a character thread. And remember that you can check out recently added tags anytime by using the "date added" sort on the tags page.

Non-Binary Gender

Non-binary individuals do not identify as exclusively male or female. They may identify as a third gender (known as X-gender in Japan), as having more than one gender, or no gender. Examples of non-binary identities include agender, genderfluid and bigender. These characters either explicitly or implicitly identify as non-binary. For more information see this Wikipedia article, and read about how we tag LBGT-related content on Anime-Planet.

--

This might become a gender option rather than a tag, and we're also looking into adding a "none" gender for genderless characters (for example, much of the cast of Land of the Lustrous) . We are currently limiting application of this tag to cases that can be proven as canon: either the character stating that they are non-binary, or another character stating it/explaining it. Characters such as Hange or Nanachi are not tagged because their gender is simply ambiguous and unknown, versus being what they identify as. The characters in Land of the Lustrous are not tagged non-binary because they are genderless.

Elemental Powers

These character possess elemental powers such as fire, water, wind and lightning. They may use these abilities for defense purposes, to attack enemies, or for other reasons.

Specific elemental power tags:

Waiters

These characters work as waiters or waitresses in Restaurants, Bars, or Cafes.

Bakers

These characters love Baking, whether they're a world-renowned patissier or simply an amateur baker.

Baristas

These characters are baristas: people, usually employees of a coffee shop or Cafe, who serve espresso-based Coffee drinks to customers.

Homeless

These characters have no place to call home. They live on the streets, in homeless shelters, or anywhere else they can. Some have lost their home and are homeless against their will, while others have chosen to leave their home to escape abusive relatives, debt collectors, or domestic pressures.

Voice Actors

These characters work in the voice acting industry. Some are seiyuu who voice characters in anime or Japanese CD dramas, while others do voice work in commercials or western animation.

Team Captains

These characters are team captains: players that have been chosen to be the leader of a sports team.

DJs

Disc jockeys, or DJs, mix music as part of a live performance. These characters are professional or hobbyist DJs.

Fishermen

These characters are amateur, professional, or competitive fishermen. They might be anglers who fish with a rod, or Sailors who use nets or pots on a boat.

Sailors

These characters sail the seven seas in boats, Ships or submarines. They may do this for commercial profit, Military service, or to explore the world and satisfy their thirst for adventure.

Triplets

These characters are triplets: one of three siblings born at the same time.

Shinto Priests

These male characters are priests of the Shinto religion, known as kannushi (神主) in Japanese. They are responsible for maintaining Shinto shrines and leading worship during services. Their female counterparts are Shrine Maidens.

Food Characters

These characters are anthropomorphic depictions of food. They may be walking, talking food items, or they might be a combination of food and Animal.

Eye Bags

These characters have heavy under-eye bags, or prominent shadows under their eyes, and look like they never get enough sleep. This is a common trait for Vampires and other Undead beings, along with the Elderly, insomniacs, and emo characters.

Buddha Ears

These characters have extremely long earlobes, similar to those seen on Buddha statues.

No Eyebrows

These characters have no eyebrows.

Buzz Cut

These characters cut their hair so short that they're almost Bald.

Braids

These characters have braids in their hair. They may have one or more plaits that hang loose down their back or at their sides, have braids wrapped around their head in a more elaborate hair style, or have cornrows tightly braided at the scalp.

Gloves

These characters wear gloves on one or both hands.

Animal tags

Thanks, as always, for your continued support of Anime-Planet! Make sure you tell your friends about the awesome new tags here! :drinking:

Hmh2, KrisDFC, trapqueen and 21 others like this.
  2. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

very exciting new tags in this!

dumpster, laylolo, Nimeziz and 2 others like this.
  3. Meron

Meron Database Moderator

Posted by Meron on Aug 6, 2019
    Nice. Some tags I am excited to see in action. :duck:

BrainBlow, LavanderGirl and Nicknames like this.
  4. sovon9

sovon9 New Member

Posted by sovon9 on Aug 6, 2019
    Need more Adult tags

Nimeziz likes this.
  5. luksrac10

luksrac10 New Member

Khriz and Nimeziz like this.
  6. sothis

Can you be more specific about what type of tags you're looking for?

7. Magadachi

Magadachi Member

Can there be an unrequited love tag for characters?

Nimeziz and LavanderGirl like this.
  8. Xplayer

Xplayer New Member

Posted by Xplayer on Aug 6, 2019
    Should Kino be labeled as non-binary? I always thought that the character was female despite being portrayed at first as androgynous. It seems a little assuming to give her that tag when the author gave her a gender even though she doesn't portray the typical secondary characteristics of that gender, unless there's some bit of canon that I'm missing where Kino's identified as non-binary (I've only seen the 2003 and 2017 anime series and read the first volume of the light novel so it's possible I missed something).

PhantomAR, Nimeziz and TurkeyGami like this.
  9. Claptrap

@Xplayer Kino at various points in canon dislikes when someone refers to them as a boy or a girl, and corrects them by saying they're 'Kino'. They also choose the boku pronoun for themselves not for safety reasons, but because it sounds 'more like me'. Some subs mess with these sections a bit so its hard to say, depending on what you got. The light novel by Tokyopop also has some censorship occur - not that I assume you read the Tokyopop version, just saying just in case.

Nimeziz likes this.
  10. sothis

Nimeziz and LavanderGirl like this.
  11. TurkeyGami

TurkeyGami Well-Known Member

Kino was never distinctly identified as non-binary in-canon. You aren't missing anything.

Nimeziz likes this.
  12. 1Lucky1

1Lucky1 Member

An eyebags tag? Holy crap, this is amazing.

13. Magadachi

Magadachi Member

I think it would fit well for characters, as well. Besides, lots of tags aren’t personality traits. We have the Armor tag, Mole tag, Black Hair tag, those aren’t personality traits, but they still made the cut. Just a thought.

14. sothis

I mean sure, but it's a bit confusing to me. Is it supposed to mean "has unrequited love for someone" or? That's a fairly specific concept to distill into a character tag. Versus, an anime whose romance-based theme is that.

15. sothis

Yes, the mods are very, very aware of your opinion on this. Please don't rehash it.

Nitroglycerin likes this.
  16. Kari5

Kari5 Database Moderator

Posted by Kari5 on Aug 6, 2019
    We looked at the Kino situation quite a bit to make sure it applied, but based on the evidence, they deserve it.

-Kino corrects people who used both male and female pronouns for them. 'I'm not 'insert gender', I'm Kino'
    -Scene where they try out using 'boku' to self-identify, and makes a comment it suits them better.
    Both are casually said, so its not a surprise if you don't remember them.

Its basically as close as you can get without them literally saying 'hello, I'm non-binary' :p And since most people don't do that, especially in Japanese media, it takes evidence for us to use the tag, which is why we are using it very carefully and only with some sort of proof.

17. Magadachi

Magadachi Member

Well, yeah. But still there are a lot of fairly specific tags, like part time employees and company presidents. For example, Karin from Naruto would fit with unrequited love, or Judeau from Berserk.

LavanderGirl likes this.
  18. Claptrap

@Magadachi I'd say its easier to avoid spoilers when tagging anime entries because a user can say 'oh unrequited love is a theme' but not know whose love is unrequited. The issue with a character is its usually a spoiler 'oh this character's love is always going to be unrequited : ('

Nitroglycerin, Kari5, Nimeziz and 2 others like this.
  19. Magadachi

Magadachi Member

That's a good point, alright.

Kari5, Nicknames and Claptrap like this.
  20. Blackysensei

Blackysensei Database Moderator

Thanks a lot for the hard work, site keeps getting better, keep it up :love:

Kari5, Nimeziz, sanane and 3 others like this.