Koukyuu no Karasu

This show never misses. The visuals with the lute and the man crawling out of it are terrifying and stunning as is the lute when it entrances him. There's so many stories intertwining all at once right now and I NEED MORE.

Can't wait for my pre-orders on the light novels to come.

Ep10
I wonder if this show actually has anime only scenes… the romance plot seems to have a stronger presence in the show than in the light novel.

I liked the story for this episode. There was a tinge of palace politics too. As much as I’m enjoying the romantic undertone of this show, the emperor is going to have to have kids with other empresses one day because that’s his duty as the emperor. Not sure how he’s going to deal with that.

Ep10
I wonder if this show actually has anime only scenes… the romance plot seems to have a stronger presence in the show than in the light novel.

I liked the story for this episode. There was a tinge of palace politics too. As much as I’m enjoying the romantic undertone of this show, the emperor is going to have to have kids with other empresses one day because that’s his duty as the emperor. Not sure how he’s going to deal with that.

I don't really see it as an issue. It seems like the Raven Consort gets along with at least some of the other consorts, and monogamy is a very Western concept- this is a fantasy setting anyway. I figure even if they do have them wind up as a couple, the emperor would still do his duty by the other consorts. And it's said that he does visit them. Although he made it pretty clear this episode that he married the lord's daughter to make sure she wouldn't have a kid, which is a little confusing, because I would think it would cause more political problems for him to marry her but not visit her than it would for him to not marry her at all.

I don't really see it as an issue. It seems like the Raven Consort gets along with at least some of the other consorts, and monogamy is a very Western concept- this is a fantasy setting anyway. I figure even if they do have them wind up as a couple, the emperor would still do his duty by the other consorts. And it's said that he does visit them. Although he made it pretty clear this episode that he married the lord's daughter to make sure she wouldn't have a kid, which is a little confusing, because I would think it would cause more political problems for him to marry her but not visit her than it would for him to not marry her at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I am aware of that. It’s just that it seems like the emperor personally does not want to have kids with the other empresses just yet, whether the reasons are romantic or political. He said that he visits them often enough so that no one talks about his disinterest for the other empresses behind his back.

I couldn’t help but spoil myself of the plot on this one by reading comments on the light novel
because it seems that he does end up having kids with the other empresses.
Monogamy may be a western concept but I am aware that this show is written for modern viewers. He may go against the status quo in this show, and I would gladly see that happen.

Last edited:
Seems like the show has adapted up until chapter 2 of the novel so far. The show ends at 13 episodes (only 3 more episodes), but the novel has 7 chapters so perhaps there’s going to be a 2nd season if the anime is popular enough. Or maybe the script for the anime is going to be different from the novel? I haven’t read it so I can’t tell, but I really can’t imagine how the story can be changed so that the mystery behind Uhi is resolved in just 3 more episodes.

Seems like the show has adapted up until chapter 2 of the novel so far. The show ends at 13 episodes (only 3 more episodes), but the novel has 7 chapters so perhaps there’s going to be a 2nd season if the anime is popular enough. Or maybe the script for the anime is going to be different from the novel? I haven’t read it so I can’t tell, but I really can’t imagine how the story can be changed so that the mystery behind Uhi is resolved in just 3 more episodes.
I think it's gotten through volume 2 chapter 2 so far, because the last episode was jus scratching volume 2 chapter 1, so I think we'll wrap up volume 2 in the rest of the series.

Ep 2

Well that was fast. Yeah... in fact I think there might be a bit of a pacing issue here. I feel like this could benefit from more of a slow burn feel to it, giving things more room to breathe.

Still pretty cool though. Neat resolution, ghosts and all. My favorite part of this show are the flashbacks made of really cool lookin chinese art with the black silhouettes.

Well after talking in minecraft enchantment table, the former empress is gone and we now have a sleepy emperor on our hands. Whatever will we do with him.

Ep 3

I'm surprised the flower princess was actually chill, her setup at the beginning of the episode could have easily been "i hate you for getting close to da emperor, i am the villain now"

but instead she was just a wholesome sad girl. Though... idk i guess they could pull one over on us and make her evil later.

weird evil white hair ghost going around possessing people is an interesting arc to go onto the next mysteries with.

Ep 4

juju or whatever her name is needs to BE MORE GRATEFUL. ACCEPT THE GIFT.

I thought the skylark princess story was pretty sweet, especially the reveal that she was picking herbs to help her LIW's cough. It kinda came and went super fast tho. Eh... oh well.

I wonder how many more times raven consort girl is gonna say "well i imagine you didn't just come here to do [the thing you just did]" all sassy. She's used that same line twice now.

Ep 5

Wait so is the emperor being haunted by ghosts at night because of the same reason that one guy who massacred the previous dynasty was? I can't keep track of the names in this show AT ALL, like i know NOBODY'S name so i can't keep track of who's associated to or related to who whatsoever.

But then his ghosts look more like... not white haired, so.

"so you came here just to tell me that"
STOP USING THAT LINE.

Dude, emperor has to keep whey shing or whatever his name is on a super short leash. He just wants everyone who looks at the guy funny to be executed. Comes off as lacking control in his personal life so he tries a bunch of power plays. Yeah I'm psychoanalyzing the emperor's right hand bitch, what about it?

ehe, how sly, using the "everything could be yours" line on her. he's an interesting character.

"lets see, says here you're an orphan. okay so your options are you can either be a eunich and get raped, or be a prostitute and get raped"
giphy.gif

This episode did give me a deeper understanding of waging but he needs to srsly chill.

Ep 6

Wait so that thing from the opening is real? That's terrifying.

This is a lot of lore drop. But I'm digging it.

Ep 7

That ghost guy really needs to learn how to not accidentally stab his hostages in the neck. it never goes well.

He also needs to learn to use his words for gods sake.

Oh dang...
dedikodu-gossip.gif

His parents ghosts were actually protecting him from the old bitch's curse... that's so sweet... aaaaaaaaaah my eyes are almost having tears in them now. This is bullshit i can't be cryin at stuff rn. smh.

what a wholesome ep. not that they all aren't wholesome... which isn't really what i was expecting. but it's alright.

Edit:
It's nice after seeing all these comments that i'm not the only one who noticed the pacing issue. kinda a bummer tho.

Last edited:
Ep. 8-10
I am glad that we have anime like this between the sequels to franchises. There can be anime that are not about sports, high school, or moe.
@Rascal Raven wears layers of makeup, ornaments, and dark robes. If I wore that costume and never talked to anyone around me, I could probably go out wearing simple clothes and never be recognized. The purple eyes might give me away.

Finally, this anime is addressing an important issue: the dangerous growing relationship between Raven and Gaosan. Technically, the emperor should be having as many children as possible to ensure the smooth succession of his dynasty. Spending time with a consort who does not produce children goes against the imperial system the emperor works in and could be argued as wasting time.
I know that sounds cold, but that is the harem system. The emperor is not married to anyone, his consorts and concubines exist to produce heirs. I would like to see the rivalries of the consorts more often, because we have not seen much of the other palaces. These people are bloodthirsty and willing to do anything for advancement, why have we not seen more about that?
Thinking about the Raven, I have to agree that spending too much time with the emperor could be dangerous. If putting on a goofy paper mask could let to the possibility of death, maybe the emperor should think more about his safety around supernatural beings.

Also, that sorcerer has an amazing face. Did he walk into the story from Demon Slayer? Why would anyone willingly talk to him or carry a head sized bucket with him?

I think this may be a one season anime. Anyone else think so?

Ep 8

Man, raven is so cool looking in the raven getup. She was extra cool this episode at the beginning.
Scaring that abusive eunich master into confessing what he knew. Badass.

1289616.png

Ngl if i killed a bird id kms before i was beheaded. but i guess showing it to the consort was basically the same thing.

burds dont deserve the killings. they are good.

It's nice how raven lady keeps getting new people to hang out with who aren't being treated well. So wholesome.
Life's messed up for a eunuch

Also i just found out all eunuchs are castrated. that explains a lot.

Ep 9

6ZjKn1H.png

Don't say it like that... wen ying has officially been flagged for the dying

Not gonna lie, if wanlin was all
jack-sparrow-jar-of-dirt.gif

then maybe she wasn't all there to begin with, and it ain't really this LIW's fault for her offing herself. smh.

OH SHIT THAT TWIST ENDING. DUDE. Wasn't expecting that from this show.

Then again i guess wanlin killed herself to go where her beloved was so it wouldn't make sense for her to still be waiting around as a ghost...

Last edited:
Ep 10

The lute music made this one especially enchanting. I never knew I liked lutes so much until this episode.

Oh dip.
a friggin MURDER. OH SHII. THAT WAS THE CHICK THAT WENT TO MEET THE OWL GUY WASNT IT

Alright guys, we gonna get a boss battle with Shouxue and her two bois by her side to defeat MJ-alike creepo!

does anyone know where I can read the manga? i can't find it on the websites I usually use for reading manga :(((
That's probably because the anime isn't based on a manga, it's actually based on a novel. You'll probably be able to find it somewhere, but right now you're looking for it the wrong places.

That's probably because the anime isn't based on a manga, it's actually based on a novel. You'll probably be able to find it somewhere, but right now you're looking for it the wrong places.

ohh that makes sense. I really wanted to read the novel since I found the story interesting and didn't want to wait for the new episodes every week. Do you know where i could find the novel by any chance?

ohh that makes sense. I really wanted to read the novel since I found the story interesting and didn't want to wait for the new episodes every week. Do you know where i could find the novel by any chance?

You'll have to wait, but the first novel is slated to be released Feb. 14, 2023. You can find it for pre-order on Amazon, RightStuf, and likely other places. We can only talk about legit releases on A-P.

You'll have to wait, but the first novel is slated to be released Feb. 14, 2023. You can find it for pre-order on Amazon, RightStuf, and likely other places. We can only talk about legit releases on A-P.

ohh, thanks! I'll see if I'm able to find it :)

Ep. 11
This was a decent episode. Nothing new to add.

I feel conflicted about this anime. By this point, I can see that the strange structure of the story is a positive and negative.
This anime tries to be an episodic spirit investigation story, a light romantic comedy between a consort and an emperor, a drama about the harsh reality of court life, and a tragedy about the demands of living as a god's servant. That is much too much to fit into one single season. The attempts to incorporate all of these elements into standard TV episodes makes this anime feel conflicted and condensed. I like all of the elements, but there is no real breathing room. It would be hard for me to recall the plots of the episodes.

The reality is that this series is mostly likely to be a one season anime. That saddens me, as there is plenty to work with. I hope that the books can better use all the elements in this anime.
At this point, I would call this a decent anime. Good ideas, but too much happening for me to call this a good anime.

Do you guys think this will end well? I hope so, because one season is clearly too short.

Back