Insomniacs After School

do you think they'll reuse their backgrounds from call of the night ಠಿ_ಠ
The art director for this show belongs to KUSANAGI (Attack on Titan, Zombieland Saga, Given)
The art director to CotN belongs to Studio Wyeth (Blue Lock, Chihayufuru, Yamada-kun to Lv999)
That would make no sense

A series based on Insomnia? It's a SoL where nothing much happens aside from them doing basic stuff? Jesus, it's a the holy trinity!
I'm digging this one.
I have been a Insomnia sufferer for a fair part of my life and still get spells of it, not saying this makes the show any better but its still nice to be able to say you get that feeling of rolling around trying to sleep, just stuck all night as time flies by until the birds start chirping and the sun rises with your massive sleep of 0 hours!
That aside.
I like the main two, I hope we get many more episodes similar to this. I thought they was gonna do something like sneak into school to sleep in that room or something which would of been weird but nope, even better, they explored the town at night, pretty good idea, you make a bit of fun out of a otherwise uneventful night. I equally like the characters themselves, their chemistry was pretty on point and it didn't feel like they needed over the top quirks or personalities traits (beyond the whole insomnia thing) to make them work. props.
Seems girlie will be one of them who sleeps with him around, she will probably figure this out soon enough. It will probably be like some weird sleep-codependency thing or something. I kind of like more-so they skipped the festival stuff, I mean sure one could say we seen it all before but that wasn't my point, I just found the take they happily made that the background and the plot the foreground, props to them.
TLDR - good stuff. My love of genre compiled into some kids roaming the streets taking photo's at night, what's not to love!

The art director for this show belongs to KUSANAGI (Attack on Titan, Zombieland Saga, Given)
The art director to CotN belongs to Studio Wyeth (Blue Lock, Chihayufuru, Yamada-kun to Lv999)
That would make no sense

oh here comes the nerd with all the facts ( ¬▂¬) let me ahve my fun smh

10 minutes into the first episode this was already the best romance I've seen in the last 5 years. No question in my mind about it. God I hope it keeps this quality up.
First off I have to say I can already relate a lot to the premise itself, having dealt with Insomnia for most of my life (thankfully I have it under control now). I remember when I was back in elementary school I used to have this alarm clock that projected the time on my ceiling. Almost every night I would see 01:11, many of them 02:22 and sometimes I remember seeing even 03:33. And that was with waking up at 07:30. That was rough.

Anyway with that said I can really relate to our protagonists and seeing them find each other in their troubles and trying to deal with it together was just incredibly wholesome and cute. The main girl falling asleep on the dude already sold me on the show.

Not to say that being cute and relatable is all this show has, I loved the atmosphere in every scene and the observatory is a great setting that I hope they'll use well.

Also I already feel like the 2 characters are closer to each other after their first night outing than so many other anime characters ever get with entire seasons. So often we're told that character are close but never shown. Really glad to see that's not the case here.

I'm really looking forward to a bunch of more episodes.
I equally like the characters themselves, their chemistry was pretty on point and it didn't feel like they needed over the top quirks or personalities traits (beyond the whole insomnia thing) to make them work. props.
Great point, yeah I loved how both of them were portrayed in a realistic way. Like for example how the dude handled the girls in the classroom, sure he was kinda rude but he never said anything outrageous or edgy, which I could see so many other shows do.

Now that Lent is over, I am no longer under any kind of obligation to keep my unnecessary skepticism at bay...which is why I'm taking a moment to say I'm 97% sure I'm going to drop this highfalutin farce if things don't seriously pick up in the next episode.

(Ahhhh--man, that felt good.)

Snideness aside, I was disappointed (though not at all surprised) that the "adventures at night!" idea was what got top billing, in this episode, because I find it so thoroughly uninteresting (and empty) as a concept--though I also recognize that the "feel of it" conceit is something a lot of other people really respond to. And, while I don't think the episode relied entirely on the "ain't th' sky purty?" as faux-poignance is monologued at the audience for 20 minutes, it did quickly skip past the parts that genuinely caught my attention (that these two can make each other sleep, and the weirdly three-dimensional roster of much more dynamic classmates), which all but assures me that this is not going to be a series I'll enjoy.

...but I don't know that's going to be true, is the thing. Which is where that 3% chance that maybe this week isn't fully representative of what the show will more often be comes into play and buys it another week of my attention.

I'm hoping for more of a focus on what makes this relationship special in that predestined connection kind of way, rather than a series of filler adventures--though I'd be happy to spend time with our leads' immediately more interesting classmates and a growing character-drive ensemble drama/comedy in a series of filler adventures, for the record. And not just because the ghost-storytelling girl is voiced by Top Three Fave VAs LYNNE, but because I cannot imagine 12 episodes of our main protagonists having banal first date chats as they wander around at night.

Fingers crossed. (Albeit with unnecessary skepticism.)

Last edited:
So yes, Here i am again. It's been a crazy long time since the last time i posted. Really got disconnected from this side of the screen. Glad to be back.
This anime.... :laugh:
I was really really excited about this one as it does target a very specific something in the viewers that some might and others might not relate to. I find myself belonging to the first category of viewers. So I've been looking forward to this and boy oh boy I'm not disappointed a bit. I'm glad i held off reading the manga before the anime started.

As always, I think the 4 major pillars of any anime holding it in place are the art, the story, the characters and the soundtracks. And this anime in my opinion does a great job of balancing all of these together. The art isn't very unique but its not your run of the mill anime art either. There's a stark difference between the texture of the backdrops and that of the characters which just falls into place soo well I'll cry. The art was VERY PRETTY!!! The story, I can't say much rn but it seems gripping in a very ~wholesome young adult butterflies in your stomach~ kinda way. Me likey. As i said in the intro, It hit me deep where i could relate to some extent and it dwelled in. I think the story will grow on me. Big statement yes, but i dont think this anime will disappoint. The characters are really well written i feel. Though i do find myself concerned if they will be able to show everything from the manga. Cuz I'm assuming the manga does these characters justice by giving them the rightful development they deserve. However, I can imagine myself skipping over some tiny bits of information in the anime which might not affect the storyline as such but it still takes something away from a character's growth through a story. And i find myself rooting for both our protagonists really hard. Don't really have any opinion about the intro and outro though. Didn't notice it stick out or something which is cool, not every anime comes with a banger song in its wake. T-T

Really looking forward to the next episodes. Hope this goes well. Very Excited!!!! :))
That storage/astronomy club room is SOO SOO PRETTY!!!!!! I'm SCREAMING!! I want a place like that to live.

I was an insomniac in highschool except I can't say I went out of my way to sleep anywhere like these guys. I just fell asleep in class and no one cared. I mean a teacher yelled at me once or twice but pretty much it

This first episode was actually pretty cute. Not much to talk about, but it's a show that has a lot of 'vibes', and as a romance has a solid basis for them to get along. There's a purpose for them to get together and hang out, it's all cute stuff.

Episode 1:

It's nice that shows like this exist. I don't have insomnia so much as a super off-kilter sleep schedule, but regardless, I can definitely relate to the feeling of staying up late and just trying to find ways to keep your mind occupied until you're ready to doze off.

Anyways, this was good stuff. The thing that I was most impressed by was probably the expressiveness of the facial animation; the characters have super detailed faces compared to some of the other stuff you see right now, and I thought that the were animated really nicely in the close-up shots. The lighting was also pretty great, especially during those scenes set during dawn and dusk.

The characters themselves are pretty good, too. Ganta struck me as kind of a jerk at first, like, when he walked past those girls who were busy practicing a routine for the school festival and then thought to himself about how "carefree" everyone was, that struck me as pretty ironic. But his attitude there can be explained by his sleep deprivation, and honestly he seems like a decent fellow when he's not acting like a walking corpse. Isaki was pretty good too, I liked the way she was walking around when they took their night-time excursion; reminded me of the kind of way that I like to walk when I know that there's no-one else around. She's fun.

I guess that my only quibble with this show is that these two warmed up to each other extremely quickly, in another anime it might have taken, you know, five or six episodes for the protagonists to get to this point. And it's not really a complain, this kind of pacing is fine, but, you know, you miss out on some of those big romantic moments when the protagonists are already (relatively) physically intimate by the first episode. Actually, that's kind of a good thing, if it gives us more of them leaning on each others shoulders then really there's nothing to be mad about.

Guess my thoughts came out a little scattered there. In any case, I like this show, I like the characters, the animation, the themes. Which is good, because I was hoping I would! So, I'm adding to my list of the shows I'll be following week to week.

I started the manga for this but I couldn't finish it because adhd be adhding.
The anime translates the squishy, cosy feeling of the manga really well and I love how the dialogue and rapport feels natural between the characters. I miss opposites attract anime where they weren't constantly bickering. This reminds me of why I started watching romance in the first place! Despite having different personalities, they mesh together well and complement each other, which I am a sucker for.
P.S, does anyone know how long this anime will be?

if i had a penny for every show i had watched where the main focus was just people getting up to mischief in the middle of the night i would have two pennies after this is over. god i love shows like this

Back