your name.

it's true, it's nice on a 1st watch..........even better if you know absolutely nothing about it going into that 1st watch. all I knew about it is it had lots of hype surrounding it and it was a romance.

There are things about it that can be picked apart in hindsight.................but I loved it on the 1st watch, so I'll leave it at that.

for some reason though, everytime I randomly hear one of the songs from it's sound track, I start to feel depressed.........I don't know if that's a positive or negative testament to the movie.
Probably positive given what the film was aiming for.

This is the kind of film where the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. Koe no Kotachi was way better.

I completely agree with you guys.

Also as a manga reader, I actually ended up liking the Koe No Katachi film quite a bit, more than the manga actually. (Probably, the only one who has this opinion) It was a really good condensed version of everything, and they focused on what was important. Do they cut away stuff? Yes, but it was quite a bit of flack, that I never cared for, so it was only a good thing in my book personally.

Last edited:
I suppose I should then post something as someone from the other camp. I personally preferred Kimi no Na wa to A Silent Voice. I liked both of course, I still gave the latter an 8 after all, but I feel A Silent Voice was a bit incoherent at times which was most prevalent towards the end from what I remember.
I think Shinkai films resonate with me more than most on here which would be evident in this case heh.
I've said it already, but I am looking to re-watch the two films later. They're not directly comparable as they're fairly different, but I'll see how my views on the two hold up afterwards.

I forgot A silent Voice existed. I have it marked as want to watch.

I don't want to go into that with a comparative mind set................also don't want to forget that it exist again -_-

I forgot A silent Voice existed. I have it marked as want to watch.

I don't want to go into that with a comparative mind set................also don't want to forget that it exist again -_-
You should watch that soon as it's a good film in its own right. Also it's not that similar a film so you should be able to go into it with an open mind, especially now that the hype for both films has died down.

Of the three big films last year I'd rank them:

1. A Silent Voice 9/10
2. The Red Turtle 8/10
3. Your Name 4/10

I think The Red Turtle is really underrated. It's a film with no dialogue, but it does romance and drama better than Your Name, by using visuals and letting characters actions speak for themselves. A Silent Voice is just a great all around drama.

Of the three big films last year I'd rank them:

1. A Silent Voice 9/10
2. The Red Turtle 8/10
3. Your Name 4/10

I think The Red Turtle is really underrated. It's a film with no dialogue, but it does romance and drama better than Your Name, by using visuals and letting characters actions speak for themselves. A Silent Voice is just a great all around drama.
Heh mine is basically reversing the list, although it'll be 9, 8, 8.
I have to agree that The Red Turtle really deserves more eyeballs on it, and probably has the best done romance of the bunch. The fact it is only on 200 watched lists is just criminal!

I wouldn't be surprised if actual romance was done better in other places. What I appreciated most from Your Name is the music and how thought out the plot was.

The romance was a different take on Romance. There wasn't much of an obvious chemistry like connection between the couple because of the obvious circumstances I won't mention.

It was more about longing for that person because of tons of subliminal imprints in their psyche. I used to have a habit of making written recollections of my dreams because some times the thoughts about whatever it was I had dreamt about lingered in my head for sometimes days, all the while it's just a feeling and I can never remember exactly what it was I dreamt about.

I thought this was unique to me until I watched the movie, and I very much appreciate they way they handled the dream amnesia.

It just made that scene where they saw each other on the trains when all they had was the feeling left a very powerful moment to me........................of course beyond that, they can date for a week and decide that they can't stand each other's presence as romance wise they have the distance makes the heart grow fonder thing and nothing else from what we were shown to believe the coupling will absolutely work out.

So I finally watched this after a couple months of putting it off and now i just feel empty inside. What I'm supposed to do now, what I'm going to watch... 10/10

So I finally watched this after a couple months of putting it off and now i just feel empty inside. What I'm supposed to do now, what I'm going to watch... 10/10

Watch a silent voice if you haven't already.............also gives that empty feeling though.

Watched this today. I've never been good at writing reviews etc. so just going to say few things
that I have on my mind after watching the movie.

It had a lot of 5CPS elements.
Art and animation was just what to expect from Shinkai. I've always liked the art in his movies.
I personally didn't really like the ending though and Shinkai seems to keep making similar endings in all of his movies.
Story was decent I guess but I felt like it had bunch of holes here and there.

Nevertheless enjoyable movie in my opinion and worth watching.

:))) when it was shown at cinema, I introduced it to my close friend. ( I had watched it before). My friend watched it and she thought it is not as good as in advertise. I'm so surprised because it is a very great anime and I love it so much. Then I found that it had been cut so many scenes before shown in my country. :( Why they did itttttt!!!!! It disappointed many audiences and many misunderstood it. (like my friend!!!)

Finally get the hype. Pretty much a perfect all-around movie even if it was slow to get going in the beginning. Shit like that scene where he was in the cave and the artstyle changed, and the music and backgrounds were an absolutely blissful experience for me. Love it. Guess I'll do a full review

I only watched this a few months ago and the only things I remember about it is the terrible use of montages to paper over actual relationship development and the eye rolling
addition of time travel. It shows a real lack of imagination that Shinkai had to throw that twist in half way into the movie, when he didn't even use the body switching to its full potential.

Probably the most overhyped movie of the decade.

I only watched this a few months ago and the only things I remember about it is the terrible use of montages to paper over actual relationship development and the eye rolling
addition of time travel. It shows a real lack of imagination that Shinkai had to throw that twist in half way into the movie, when he didn't even use the body switching to its full potential.

Probably the most overhyped movie of the decade.
tenor.gif

because the most overhyped movie of the entire decade was definitely frozen

Last edited:
over hyped? I wouldn't say that.........when the majority of people who sit through it love it............nothing makes everybody happy though, gatta respect what they did hit the mark most times the dart was thrown.

Also the opening sequence with that song? Every time i see it i get chills like, on every part of my body that can get those. ITS SO GOOD. Everything fits together so well. Definitely buying this one on blu ray. Visual masterpiece.

Back